• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cold Weather Parking - No Plug Access (Airport)

grange

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford Lightning
New Owner 2023 with extended battery. I live in Minneapolis and travel a lot. MSP Airport has a few plug in chargers but they are always taken. Thinking forward to this winter - Are there any tips on parking my truck for week when the outside air temp can be negative 20 degrees? Do I need to keep the battery conditioned ? Should set up my app to condition the battery daily or just plan on warming it up the day i return? I only live 30 miles from the airport and I can plan on charging my truck to 100% if necessary before I leave for the week. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
I've left mine here at the Fairbanks airport for several weeks at below zero temps, not plugged in and it started without issue. I usually set a departure time to coincide with my arrival time on the day of the week I'm returning (and select the "Pre-condition cabin while unplugged") option. The impact on the battery charge was negligible.

I've also just left it without doing anything at -30, and other than the cold cabin everyrhing ran fine.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Agree with Bandit. You shouldn’t have any issues. I don’t set a departure time when at the airport, though. Just remote start when I de-plane. Either way…….

OP
OP

grange

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford Lightning
I've left mine here at the Fairbanks airport for several weeks at below zero temps, not plugged in and it started without issue. I usually set a departure time to coincide with my arrival time on the day of the week I'm returning (and select the "Pre-condition cabin while unplugged") option. The impact on the battery charge was negligible.

I've also just left it without doing anything at -30, and other than the cold cabin everyrhing ran fine.
Thank you - that is what i was hoping to hear. I just did not want to find out something the wrong way - great to know it works for you in -30.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You can't condition the battery on an unplugged truck. And you're limited to 2 remote starts before you physically start the truck, so no "start it daily to charge the battery"...

Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
You can definitely set a departure time when it’s unplugged. You just have to enable it.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Departure times definitely conditions the battery, it just uses the truck battery instead of grid power.

The remote start doesn’t not condition the battery.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Someone on here had an OBD reader that showed the difference. I don’t recall who it was.

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve also left my truck at JFK for a couple weeks over the winter twice and experienced no phantom drain or issues starting.. Also both times didn’t even lose 1 percent SOC Worked like a charm . Did not set a departure time or anything like that either .

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Someone on here had an OBD reader that showed the difference. I don’t recall who it was.
Well, since both @Maquis and I know that isn't the case, post it when you find it.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
If you're only 30min from the airport maybe an Uber isn't much more expensive than parking at the airport?

For me the break even is a week, but most of my travel is business related and so far neither of my companies (past and present) have had an issue with me not taking my private car to the airport.

That said, I went through last winter without being plugged in (at home) and it was not an issue.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
New Owner 2023 with extended battery. I live in Minneapolis and travel a lot. MSP Airport has a few plug in chargers but they are always taken. Thinking forward to this winter - Are there any tips on parking my truck for week when the outside air temp can be negative 20 degrees? Do I need to keep the battery conditioned ? Should set up my app to condition the battery daily or just plan on warming it up the day i return? I only live 30 miles from the airport and I can plan on charging my truck to 100% if necessary before I leave for the week. Any advice would be appreciated.
Only thing I'd add is be sure your 12v battery is in good shape/fully charged or leave it on a solar powered trickle charger.

When I left my 2012 Leaf in a garage for a long vacation in the winter of 2012, the 12v battery ran out of juice - the charge timer and other electronics drained it - and I had to jumper the battery with an extra long jumper cable to get the car going. If it had been outside, the solar panel it has in the roof would have kept the 12v battery charged.