• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Seeking F-150 Lightning

ev150ev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning (searching)
Hi all-

I've unfortunately missed out on the Lightning wait list, but am still seeking a way to acquire one on behalf of an organization. I understand per Ford's website there is no way to transfer a reservation number. Is the only way to get a truck within the next year or so to purchase on the secondary market? And if so, any guesses as to when that might be possible, especially given the notice Ford sent out to curb scalping?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Call dealers to be put on lists for abandoned orders. Probably will include ADM. Or buy from someone who just got one and either didn’t sign the clause for no resale or one that just doesn’t care about it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
In addition to the above, you could also get on a dealer list for their demo unit(s) - they won't be able to sell these right away, but should be able to late in the year.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Keep an eye out on social media - there may be some who will flip their '22 MY Lightnings for a profit.

Also, dealers who ordered for their own inventory can be had for a large ADM...

Begeorgy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport, F-150 Lightning on Order
Lightning orders are invitation only and Dealers won't have extra inventory sitting around unless someone walks away from their order. Ford's attempt to curb ADM is silly. What is stopping me from charging you sticker and asking you to bring me 20k cash and I will not give you a receipt? Just saying. Look at the history when the government tried to curb prices on goods (mess with free market) they created black market. Market is crazy and we just have to be adults about it.

By the way I have my Lightning ordered but I will not be selling it (unless ..... just kidding)

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In addition to the above, you could also get on a dealer list for their demo unit(s) - they won't be able to sell these right away, but should be able to late in the year.
Mach-E demos could be sold after 4 months and 4,000 miles, iirc. If it’s the same with Lightning, that may be a quicker way to get a truck than many with orders.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Lightning orders are invitation only and Dealers won't have extra inventory sitting around unless someone walks away from their order. Ford's attempt to curb ADM is silly. What is stopping me from charging you sticker and asking you to bring me 20k cash and I will not give you a receipt? Just saying. Look at the history when the government tried to curb prices on goods (mess with free market) they created black market. Market is crazy and we just have to be adults about it.

By the way I have my Lightning ordered but I will not be selling it (unless ..... just kidding)
You're suggesting the dealership would commit fraud.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly
For those lucky 2022 Lightning purchasers who might immediately resell BE CAREFUL. You may not be able to claim the $7,500 Tax Credit (up to $7,500 if your tax liability is high enough) on Form 8936 or various State Credits (depending on language in those laws).

IRS Code Section 30D:
The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States. For purposes of the 30D credit, a vehicle is not considered acquired prior to the time when title to the vehicle passes to the taxpayer under state law.

Although Form 8936 only requires a VIN and Purchase Date, a subsequent audit might assess a substantial penalty.

As outlined in other Forum Threads, a Lease may be an option but that opens a whole new set of problems. Best to wait until the next tax year to sell. Also, IRS allows one tax credit per year and per VIN (assuming Ford will still have access to tax credits in the future).

Also original purchase and resales will require (in most states) sales tax and/or personal property tax liabilities for each change in title. If the truck is financed and the title is shared with a bank there will be many more headaches involved in the transaction.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
More than a few of us plan to flip the F150 when it comes so just keep your eyes open for local sales. Might even advertise your interest. Rivian and GM have some nice EV pickups coming so see if those fit your needs and you can advertise what you are looking for.

They'll also be a few people who don't do their homework on EV's and will likely sell quickly.

Issue will be losing the Federal EV tax credit though Ford will lose that quickly as they ship MachE's already. GM already lost it. Depending on the organization, you may have other EV incentives available to you.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
For those lucky 2022 Lightning purchasers who might immediately resell BE CAREFUL. You may not be able to claim the $7,500 Tax Credit (up to $7,500 if your tax liability is high enough) on Form 8936 or various State Credits (depending on language in those laws).

IRS Code Section 30D:
The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States. For purposes of the 30D credit, a vehicle is not considered acquired prior to the time when title to the vehicle passes to the taxpayer under state law.

Although Form 8936 only requires a VIN and Purchase Date, a subsequent audit might assess a substantial penalty.

As outlined in other Forum Threads, a Lease may be an option but that opens a whole new set of problems. Best to wait until the next tax year to sell. Also, IRS allows one tax credit per year and per VIN (assuming Ford will still have access to tax credits in the future).

Also original purchase and resales will require (in most states) sales tax and/or personal property tax liabilities for each change in title. If the truck is financed and the title is shared with a bank there will be many more headaches involved in the transaction.

Prove that the original intention was for resale, good luck world.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly
Could probably start with all the posts here ?
And I have been through a long hairy audit with the IRS before and I do not want to play that game with them NO MORE! :)

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I agree with the comments here in regards to getting on the abandonment lists at your local dealers. Outside of this forum site, I know at least one person who is likely not going to take delivery when it arrives. There were a lot of members here who were able to pick up trucks early on in production of the 2021 due to order abandonment.
Sponsored