• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Towing the impact is about 50% reduction. So 150
ok, i was concerned that you were only getting 200 on a non trailered truck on a long range. I was about to start the auction on mine coming in august.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Why? while traveling you'll be using 60-80% of your capacity between charge stops. You won't be driving from full until empty like a gas truck. 300 miles just turned into 220. Cut that in half for towing. Now you have just over 100 miles. Winter will be significantly less with no heat pump on board.

I would agree that all of your points need to be priority for gen2, especially higher charge speeds.

at the end of the day if you want to convince the masses to go electric the truck needs to be better than the ICE versions in every category. I'm excited to get my lightning but I don't plan on keeping it long term. I hope gen2 2025 is going to bring a much more complete package.
I simply disagree with your assessment of what’s needed to convince people go EV. Long haul towing isn’t a use case that Ford should be focusing on at all.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Thanks for putting all your responses into the OP!

Reactions: GDN

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I simply disagree with your assessment of what’s needed to convince people go EV. Long haul towing isn’t a use case that Ford should be focusing on at all.
I remember the same thing when EV cars like the leaf starting coming around 10 years ago. "100 miles is all you need. The average person only drives 30 miles in a day". Of course 100 miles was absolutely fine for the early adopter that knew what he/she was getting into but that wasn't mass adoption. We're only just starting to break into normal people buying EV's today's with 200+mile cars.

I'm guessing most of us here are early adopters and are willing to take the towing drawbacks with all the positives that come with an EV pickup. I don't think that's enough to convince the masses. Trucks need twice the range of cars for the average joe to get on board.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I remember the same thing when EV cars like the leaf starting coming around 10 years ago. "100 miles is all you need. The average person only drives 30 miles in a day". Of course 100 miles was absolutely fine for the early adopter that knew what he/she was getting into but that wasn't mass adoption. We're only just starting to break into normal people buying EV's today's with 200+mile cars.

I'm guessing most of us here are early adopters and are willing to take the towing drawbacks with all the positives that come with an EV pickup. I don't think that's enough to convince the masses. Trucks need twice the range of cars for the average joe to get on board.
Long distance towing is a technical limitation and only a small portion of people truly needed it. ICE trucks will be available for those people for decades, of course they’ll eventually become too expensive to operate because of dwindling ICE infrastructure and taxation but there’s no need for EV mfgs to chase that market. Eventually it will come to them whether people want it or not. When gas is $20/gal and there’s a yearly $2000 gas vehicle surcharge, people will come around to the idea of stopping to charge every 100-150 miles. :)

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Full size truck buyers don't always buy the truck they need to do what they want to do; they buy the truck they want because of the potential things they might want to do or tell people they can do. I have a Ridgeline which is incredibly capable for a lot of truck stuff, but Honda sells almost none of them because it doesn't fit most of the demographic (yeah, I guess I'm weird).

Time will tell if EV truck manufacturers hit an adoption wall for EV trucks if they can't get the towing numbers up. I'm sure that'll happen eventually, but probably not anytime soon.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Full size truck buyers don't always buy the truck they need to do what they want to do; they buy the truck they want because of the potential things they might want to do or tell people they can do. I have a Ridgeline which is incredibly capable for a lot of truck stuff, but Honda sells almost none of them because it doesn't fit most of the demographic (yeah, I guess I'm weird).

Time will tell if EV truck manufacturers hit an adoption wall for EV trucks if they can't get the towing numbers up. I'm sure that'll happen eventually, but probably not anytime soon.
I don’t think that’s a special property of full size truck buyers.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
It's 70 miles max with SR and his trailer in the summer, why keep adding to it (now it's 80??) then tack on winter etc.. It's going to be 50 miles in the winter.
Are you just making numbers up? Or have you been secretly testing Lightnings over the last 12 months?
Sponsored