• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

dnstommy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SC XLT | 2021 Tesla MY | 5/24 order
12.6 mpge with gas at 4.75 p/gal.

We are going to need a lot of chargers to be able to support EV work trucks. With this range I feel like ICE trucks are really going to be 98% of the work trucks out there.
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
12.6 mpge with gas at 4.75 p/gal.

We are going to need a lot of chargers to be able to support EV work trucks.
My idea of an EV work truck towing is the myriad of trucks I see locally hauling trailers for landscapers, contractors, trades people, small excavators and tractors.... Farley openly said that Lightning is not for everybody with an F-150.

There are hundreds and hundreds of thousand of other work truck scenarios that make Lightning SR absolutely perfect. Especially the ones that return to a fixed or common home location after every work shift.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Why? Very few people tow long distance. They are much better off spending their time on higher charging speeds than making trucks that can handle carrying a 300kwh battery. They'll need a lighter density battery technology to even make it possible. Longer distance travel is going to be more about designing efficient vehicles and maxing out charging speed.
Why? while traveling you'll be using 60-80% of your capacity between charge stops. You won't be driving from full until empty like a gas truck. 300 miles just turned into 220. Cut that in half for towing. Now you have just over 100 miles. Winter will be significantly less with no heat pump on board.

I would agree that all of your points need to be priority for gen2, especially higher charge speeds.

at the end of the day if you want to convince the masses to go electric the truck needs to be better than the ICE versions in every category. I'm excited to get my lightning but I don't plan on keeping it long term. I hope gen2 2025 is going to bring a much more complete package.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
If I put both my donkeys in the trailer to take them to the vet, they will be over 5k lbs and the vet is less than 10 miles round trip
You sir..win COTD for mentioning donkeys.....

dnstommy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SC XLT | 2021 Tesla MY | 5/24 order
Why? while traveling you'll be using 60-80% of your capacity between charge stops. You won't be driving from full until empty like a gas truck. 300 miles just turned into 220. Cut that in half for towing. Now you have just over 100 miles. Winter will be significantly less with no heat pump on board.

I would agree that all of your points need to be priority for gen2, especially higher charge speeds.

at the end of the day if you want to convince the masses to go electric the truck needs to be better than the ICE versions in every category. I'm excited to get my lightning but I don't plan on keeping it long term. I hope gen2 2025 is going to bring a much more complete package.
I feel like we knew there would be a fall off on towing with the Lightning. But in the EV to ICE comparison chart, the EV has to be equal or close to the abilities of the ICE comp vehicle. When the EV far surpasses the abilities of the ICE, some leeway is granted. Example is Tesla. The range is worse in the winter, but there are so many super chargers and the performance is so much better.

But for the lightning to possibly have a 70-80 mile tow range in the dead of winter while the ICE comp vehicle to be 200+ miles and more with the extended fuel tank. The divergence is pretty stark. I think we have some work to do long term. I also would imagine these tests are exactly why Tesla is delaying the CT so much. How do they explain to their loyal audience the range issues under load.

Sponsored
OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
My idea of an EV work truck towing is the myriad of trucks I see locally hauling trailers for landscapers, contractors, trades people, small excavators and tractors.... Farley openly said that Lightning is not for everybody with an F-150.

There are hundreds and hundreds of thousand of other work truck scenarios that make Lightning SR absolutely perfect. Especially the ones that return to a fixed or common home location after every work shift.
Outside of my airstream, most of my towing is within 15 miles of the house/charger. I am that user that can deal with a little charge time on a once a week trip during the summer

OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
I feel like we knew there would be a fall off on towing with the Lightning. But in the EV to ICE comparison chart, the EV has to be equal or close to the abilities of the ICE comp vehicle. When the EV far surpasses the abilities of the ICE, some leeway is granted. Example is Tesla. The range is worse in the winter, but there are so many super chargers and the performance is so much better.

But for the lightning to possibly have a 70-80 mile tow range in the dead of winter while the ICE comp vehicle to be 200+ miles and more with the extended fuel tank. The divergence is pretty stark. I think we have some work to do long term. I also would imagine these tests are exactly why Tesla is delaying the CT so much. How do they explain to their loyal audience the range issues under load.
Exactly - it is pretty common here in Northern Michigan to see -20C/-4F. Our Tesla can struggle during the winter (with estimates mostly), but it is okay because it is okay in the lower peninsula. We would never venture to the UP during the winter with the car due to the lack of network.

If/when Ford can get the network updated, we will be fine towing. Right now its a huge research project after our Mackinac trip

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I use a weight distro hitch and just hooked it up first try. The airstream has always been pretty easy to level
Your setup is nice and level; mind if I ask what hitch brand?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Most random scenario ever lol
No it' not. We have horses and a trip to the vet is 10 miles round trip. A trip to a local trail head that we frequent is 10 miles round trip. The farthest trail head is maybe 30 miles one way.

2 horses and trailer is pushing 7500-8000, maybe......for us

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Toyota RAV4 Prime, ‘22 Maverick XL
Outside of my airstream, most of my towing is within 15 miles of the house/charger. I am that user that can deal with a little charge time on a once a week trip during the summer
Any thoughts on how you plan to access the fast chargers with the trailer attached, or are you going to have to disconnect it every time?

Sponsored
OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
Any thoughts on how you plan to access the fast chargers with the trailer attached, or are you going to have to disconnect it every time?
For the next trip to the west of the state I am basically doing this:
  1. Assume 90 mile range on the truck
  2. Find nearest 70kw+ chargers on plugshare
  3. Look at photos posted by users
  4. Go to Google Maps and see if sat view provides any indication of issues
  5. Add to PlugShare trip and do it all again
The one good thing is I can assume a full charge leaving home and the campground given our airstream only requires a 110v plug. That means we can use the 30/50 amp to charge most of the time.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Pull through charging needs to be part of the solution and no one is doing that AFAIK. That is a lot of extra parking space for a business. Still think rest stops would be a great place to add it, although not as attractive as a shopping center or outlet mall.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I’ve been playing around, plotting some long distance trips. As much as the Lightning isn’t really built for long-distance RVing, I’ve learned that my family isn’t built for it either. Sure the Lightning’s no good for covering big miles in a day, but for a multi-day trip with lots of rest stops (sanity breaks) it seems like it might work just fine.

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
so my brain doesnt explode, did you not get the LR version?
Sponsored