• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
With a 70 mile range?
If I put both my donkeys in the trailer to take them to the vet, they will be over 5k lbs and the vet is less than 10 miles round trip
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Most random scenario ever lol
Plenty of people have horses or livestock that they aren't going to trailer hundreds of miles.
More relevant scenarios? large boat to a lake close to my house.
Camper to one of the half dozen or more lakes within 50 miles.
Car trailer to the racetrack close to home
Plenty of businesses have equipment trailers that they drive around town and may be under 75 miles daily.

There are plenty of scenarios that people need to move a heavy object but not drive hundreds of miles.

ftms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Titan
Oneguynick - What options do you have, extended range battery, max tow package? I think the battery is standard on your truck. 83 miles on a full charge seems horrible on a full charge. I was hoping half the distance of a full charge of 150 miles.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Sure as hell better by gen2.

Why? Very few people tow long distance. They are much better off spending their time on higher charging speeds than making trucks that can handle carrying a 300kwh battery. They'll need a lighter density battery technology to even make it possible. Longer distance travel is going to be more about designing efficient vehicles and maxing out charging speed.

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Oneguynick - What options do you have, extended range battery, max tow package? I think the battery is standard on your truck. 83 miles on a full charge seems horrible on a full charge. I was hoping half the distance of a full charge of 150 miles.
He has a Platinum it is fully loaded in terms of drivetrain/towing options.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Most random scenario ever lol
Not really random but maybe just very specific. It's not just the trucks that have a ways to go before longer range towing really makes sense but the charging infrastructure. Charging stalls aren't currently setup to accommodate trailers

OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
I was not on a full charge. I had driven most of the day and was just grabbing the trailer for a short jaunt. I started with 83 and when I programmed the trailer, it dropped me to the 50's of range which was enough to get done what I needed to do.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
1.5 - 1.8m/kWh without trailer as compared to 2.7 to 3.0 I get with my Mach-E. 33 to 44% less. Battery is 44% bigger, so about the same range.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
If I put both my donkeys in the trailer to take them to the vet, they will be over 5k lbs and the vet is less than 10 miles round trip
I'm just jealous that your donkeys will probably get a ride in your lightning before I have a chance to see one in person.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm just jealous that your donkeys will probably get a ride in your lightning before I have a chance to see one in person.
Doubtful, I have no idea when I'm going to actually get one and it may end up having a Chevy badge depending on how they price their trims

Last edited:

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
There are many instances of towing heavy loads not very far.
When I get mine it will also be used on our farm which one of the things we do is hay. The trailer fully loaded is about 7300lbs. It would be pulled around the field to pick up the bales as well as being used to deliver the hay to customers (generally within 10 to 20km away). This is our current setup that we use (which uses a ton of fuel and is a f150 HDPP)

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Towing Stats with my 23FB Airstream Trailer 20170602_094452

There is something going on with the usage per mile as if you go by EPA rating a Lariat would be 2.44mi/kW and a Plat would be 2.29mi/kW.
I can't see just travelling at 70mph reducing it that much.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Why? Very few people tow long distance. They are much better off spending their time on higher charging speeds than making trucks that can handle carrying a 300kwh battery. They'll need a lighter density battery technology to even make it possible. Longer distance travel is going to be more about designing efficient vehicles and maxing out charging speed.
Exactly, why lug around way more battery then you need 99% of the time. That's just using more raw materials then needed.
Sponsored