• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

macjaeh

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, F150L Lariat ER (Ordered)
Ford F-150 Lightning 2200 miles 54 hour road trip with an 8 month old IMG-9700

My wife and I live in Richland, WA, and we had our first child last December. My daughter's pediatrician doesn't want her to fly until she's at least 1 year old. Our entire extended family lives in Wisconsin, so we planned a road trip back home to meet her relatives. We'd taken this same trip last year in our Mach E, and planned to do it again this year in the Lightning. We knew from planning the trip last year that I-90 and I-80 are non-starters due to the lack of fast charging coverage out West, so we once again planned to journey south to I-70 and drive through Colorado.

We'd heard multiple concerning reports of charging issues at Electrify America stations, including some of the specific locations we needed to rely on for our trip, so we did a bit of extra research ahead of each charging stop to maximize our chances of success. This wound up being extremely helpful in avoiding some bad charging situations.

We loaded up the Lighting (Lariat, ER, Rapid Red, Max Tow, Spray-in Bedliner, Retrax PRO XR tonneau cover) with all our gear and our kiddo and hit the road at 7pm pacific on Wednesday night. My wife sat in the back with our little one, and the grind began. We drove through the night on Wednesday, stopping primarily at 350KW chargers after first verifying that neither PlugShare nor the EA app were listing them as unavailable. We mostly drove around 120-180 miles (~2hrs at highway speeds) between charges, driving with the flow of traffic, which on an 80MPH freeway can be quite fast.

Given that we would be traveling at rather inefficient speeds, and the fact that we'd need to stop every couple of hours to change/feed the baby, we opted for a very conservative charging strategy that relied on frequent, short charges at the highest available rate.

EA Locations:
1) Island City, OR
2) Boise, ID
3) Mountain Home, ID
4) Heyburn, ID
5) Perry, UT
6) Spanish Fork, UT
7) Green River, UT
8) Grand Junction, CO
9) Edwards, CO
10) Commerce City, CO
11) Fort Morgan, CO
12) Ogalalla, NE
13) Lexington, NE
14) Grand Island, NE
15) Council Bluffs, IA
16) Waukee, IA
17) Williamsburg, IA
18) Geneseo, IL
19) Rockford, IL

While it was certainly disappointing to see the number of Electrify America stations that were down at sites we visited (1-2 at each station), we still never encountered a situation where we had to wait for a charger to become available, and only at 3 of the 19 stations did we encounter charging faults or reduced power (Green River UT, Lexington, NE, Council Bluffs IA) on the first handles we tried. For the most part we were able to pull anywhere between 140-170kw for the entirety of our charging time (we rarely charged past 80%) and never had wait in line, or leave a charging stop empty handed. Had we not done our research on PlugShare, I feel we would have spent about twice as much time charging - just based on how many chargers across the network seem to be inoperable, at reduced power, or throwing charging faults.

Despite the distance, the experience was downright leisurely. The charging stops lined up perfectly with our parenting duties and Blue Cruise ably handled much of the monotonous, tedious maneuvering that tends to cause driver fatigue over long distances. We stopped overnight in Ogalalla, NE for 8 hours of shut-eye at a hotel, but the rest of the time we just took turns driving while the other napped and cared for the kiddo. I can also highly attest to the vast number of diaper-change surfaces the Lightning provides from the cabin to the frunk to the tailgate. Our daughter handled the ride like a champ - and used the Sketch app to launch her nascent art career.

The trip took just over 54 hours all-in, and we arrived in Milwaukee at 3am on Saturday morning.

Compared to our Mach E (First Edition - AWD, extended range), the ride was a lot smoother. We also averaged 2.2 mi/kwh in the Mach E during our trip last year, and around 1.8 mi/kwh in the Lightning over the same stretch this year.

I eagerly await the day that I-90 and I-80 are covered in DC fast chargers from coast to coast so we can cut straight across, but until then, road-tripping the Lightning home through Colorado is a generally pleasant experience.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I see MTN DEW. Bet you needed allot of that!

OP
OP

macjaeh

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see MTN DEW. You are gonna need allot of that!
We found a plug-in fridge/freezer cooler that fits perfectly in the frunk and keeps the diet mountain dew icy cold throughout the drive. Definitely keeps the morale up.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
How fast did you drive on freeway (when possible)? 1.8 miles/kWh sounds like 75-80mpg.

Sponsored
OP
OP

macjaeh

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How fast did you drive on freeway (when possible)? 1.8 miles/kWh sounds like 75-80mpg.
Average freeway cruising speed was probably 79mph? I kept Blue Cruise on for most of the way but there are several stretches of 80mph limit where the flow of traffic was faster than blue cruise would allow above 80.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Average freeway cruising speed was probably 79mph? I kept Blue Cruise on for most of the way but there are several stretches of 80mph limit where the flow of traffic was faster than blue cruise would allow above 80.
That is what I expected, for 1.8mpk (miles per kWh), average speed would be around 75mph.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
We found a plug-in fridge/freezer cooler that fits perfectly in the frunk and keeps the diet mountain dew icy cold throughout the drive. Definitely keeps the morale up.
Would you share which one you found? I've seen a few and not sure I need such a cooler, but they aren't cheap, so nice to know what others have found that fit and work well.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
which one did you get? I am considering one for tailgating purposes. Cheers

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
only a precious child THAT young could enjoy it THAT much : ) 👾👾👾👾👾👾👾👾

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
38qt - brand is “Bodega” - purchased off Amazon for around $320
I'm assuming it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D96GJJL/ref=twister_B0B7RDWX3Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have the 53 quart version-the 53 quart version is too big to fit in the frunk but sits below the tonneau cover in the bed.

It's a little pricey, but it's the only one I've found that has independently controllable zones, app control and a removable divider between the freezer and fridge compartments.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Nice. It's great reading about successful EV trips. When our little ones (10 and 12 now) were that age the tailgate was great for diaper changes (way better than the interior of a minivan hatchback or SUV). There is never anything to move out of the way to clear adequate space for diaper changes. Drive safe and enjoy every minute with your munchkin.

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
This is what the EV life is all about - charging while doing something more important!
Sponsored