• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Talk me out of a HIS by Sunrun

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-e
It sounds like you've made up your mind and are looking for reassurance. Good luck with your HIS!
BENNY!!! Bro, I was thinking that this whole time, like clearly I'm so far biased in my arguments that someone should call me out on it lol. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope to provide my experience to the group for whatever it's worth. I fully expect to get some unpleasant surprises along the way.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They're number one for a reason, and you aint wrong. I made the mistake of wanting to answer some of the other posters question about how much an equivalent system cost without the HIS, and I cant get these other Sunrun ppl to stop calling me!!! Anyways, I'm buying the system cash, that's another reason I wanted it as small as possible.

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
which is why, if I was opting for the HIS, I would also be installing a generator port/transfer switch that can accept the truck’s ProPower. I’d expect this additional cost to be negligible, but add a secondary/backup option in an instance where something with the HIS goes pear shaped.

to me, the choice isn’t generator port or HIS, it’s generator port or HIS and generator port.
Interesting... totally going to look into this :)

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
The tongue-in-cheek "advice" to listen to your wife was a hundreds year old joke sorry that twisted your jimmies.

While I was born in San Diego I currently live in Diamond Bar. My power provider is SCE and we have had 0 SCE-wide outages in the past two months let alone four. Of course, I'm not saying you're lying about losing your power four times in the past two months but it's not because of climate change or "rolling blackouts."

While the HIS *may* be eligible for a credit under the new laws it still won't be eligible as both an inverter *and* an EVSE separately. No point belaboring that you can take it up with your CPA and the IRS. You have such strong opinions about that go get em!

Regardless, you asked for advice and then seem to be trying to piss over some imaginary line when receiving it form a local so I'm out.

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
Don't DO IT..

Here are my reasons...

1. Signed up for HIS and signed contract on 5/26
2. Got countersigned on 5/28
3. Reached out 30 days later... Nothing...
4. Got a PM(project manager assigned) 7/6
5. Was told to wait until permitting is done 7/8
6. Reached back out on 7/22 was told have to wait until I get the truck
7. Received the truck on 8/1 reached back out.
8. Was told to wait until I received the charger.
9. Received the charger on 8/10.
10. Reached back out asked for my vin again.
11. Gave all that info again and back we have to wait for permits
12. Reached out to CEO... She replied promptly
13. Got a new sales person that reached out on Monday 8/15
14. Had me signed a new contract that was 1500 lower then the first(said it was their mistake)
15. Told me it would would b 2-3 weeks for the install
16. Estimated date for install was 9/8-9/12
17. Crickets and now the PM is not responding.
18. At this point we are over 3 months and going on 4...

So unless you are like me and willing to wait until the next coming of Jesus. I say DON'T DO IT.

P.S. very disappointed with the whole process what a mess....

Sponsored
OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The tongue-in-cheek "advice" to listen to your wife was a hundreds year old joke sorry that twisted your jimmies.

While I was born in San Diego I currently live in Diamond Bar. My power provider is SCE and we have had 0 SCE-wide outages in the past two months let alone four. Of course, I'm not saying you're lying about losing your power four times in the past two months but it's not because of climate change or "rolling blackouts."

While the HIS *may* be eligible for a credit under the new laws it still won't be eligible as both an inverter *and* an EVSE separately. No point belaboring that you can take it up with your CPA and the IRS. You have such strong opinions about that go get em!

Regardless, you asked for advice and then seem to be trying to piss over some imaginary line when receiving it form a local so I'm out.
It wasn't the joke, it was the tone of your entire post buddy. You did have some decent points but they were tainted and buried with a holier than attitude I didn't care for. SCE-wide outages??? That would be intense!! I do want advice, just not your style so bye!

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't DO IT..

Here are my reasons...

1. Signed up for HIS and signed contract on 5/26
2. Got countersigned on 5/28
3. Reached out 30 days later... Nothing...
4. Got a PM(project manager assigned) 7/6
5. Was told to wait until permitting is done 7/8
6. Reached back out on 7/22 was told have to wait until I get the truck
7. Received the truck on 8/1 reached back out.
8. Was told to wait until I received the charger.
9. Received the charger on 8/10.
10. Reached back out asked for my vin again.
11. Gave all that info again and back we have to wait for permits
12. Reached out to CEO... She replied promptly
13. Got a new sales person that reached out on Monday 8/15
14. Had me signed a new contract that was 1500 lower then the first(said it was their mistake)
15. Told me it would would b 2-3 weeks for the install
16. Estimated date for install was 9/8-9/12
17. Crickets and now the PM is not responding.
18. At this point we are over 3 months and going on 4...

So unless you are like me and willing to wait until the next coming of Jesus. I say DON'T DO IT.

P.S. very disappointed with the whole process what a mess....
Now we're talking!!! This is what I wasn't reading on the board!!! Like wth am I supposed to do if I dont have a charger when I get the truck???

Ok so I'm hearing you loud and clear and although I'm apparently a gluten for punishment I want forward progress or I'm out lol. As much as I've argued for this system, I really am on the fence and it sounds really cool but dont want to struggle to pay someone money for a product that's a want, not a need lol

Please keep us updated on the progress!! Did you ever get the charger installed?

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
Now we're talking!!! This is what I wasn't reading on the board!!! Like wth am I supposed to do if I dont have a charger when I get the truck???

Ok so I'm hearing you loud and clear and although I'm apparently a gluten for punishment I want forward progress or I'm out lol. As much as I've argued for this system, I really am on the fence and it sounds really cool but dont want to struggle to pay someone money for a product that's a want, not a need lol

Please keep us updated on the progress!! Did you ever get the charger installed?
Nothing has been installed... Charger still in box and been charging with regular (120V)... takes for ever..

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Assuming SunRun can deliver, I would go for it in your case, with a few tweaks.

1. Have them upsize the BDI (to 6kW?), replacing your current inverter so all of your solar is connected to it, and up when the grid is down. Get them to credit for the old inverter, so the upsize it free.

2. Have them include the 6 new panels for free or less than the $2,500 they seem to be charging.

Because HIS can't charge the truck on solar (FCSP installed in panel before critical loads) and will therefore run out of battery, and is not a whole home solution, I am going to wait, and hope a standards based solution works for my house and the Lightning.

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing has been installed... Charger still in box and been charging with regular (120V)... takes for ever..
That is sainthood level of patience, I could never! I've heard you get like 2 miles per hour on 120v.

I really want my charger up and running before my truck arrives even with it's amber lighting and crappy ford app ruining the fun.

This was the extreme downside with Sunrun other posters were talking about. This does suck because if I dont go with Sunrun then tying the two system together or having solar supplement the HIS is alot less likely and alot less desirable. Damn that sucks

Sponsored
OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Assuming SunRun can deliver, I would go for it in your case, with a few tweaks.

1. Have them upsize the BDI (to 6kW?), replacing your current inverter so all of your solar is connected to it, and up when the grid is down. Get them to credit for the old inverter, so the upsize it free.

2. Have them include the 6 new panels for free or less than the $2,500 they seem to be charging.

Because HIS can't charge the truck on solar (FCSP installed in panel before critical loads) and will therefore run out of battery, and is not a whole home solution, I am going to wait, and hope a standards based solution works for my house and the Lightning.
1. I'm shooting for exactly that, and I'm getting a 8kwh inverter currently! Without that I'm out for sure.

2. Maybe I can get that if they take forever like poor @smax64 lol sorry man too soon?

OP
OP

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think I can very easily/cheaply get a 240V, 40 amp plug in my garage, it's already has conduit ran and just needs the wire ran and the plug installed. That would let me use the provided charger as a hold out. I'm guessing that's not an option for you?

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
1. I'm shooting for exactly that, and I'm getting a 8kwh inverter currently! Without that I'm out for sure.

2. Maybe I can get that if they take forever like poor @smax64 lol sorry man too soon?
all good i am did this to myself :(

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
I think I can very easily/cheaply get a 240V, 40 amp plug in my garage, it's already has conduit ran and just needs the wire ran and the plug installed. That would let me use the provided charger as a hold out. I'm guessing that's not an option for you?
the idea is to have sunrun install the entire system, from what i have been reading there are issues when "NON APPROVED" contractor installs it even though they are qualified.. I want them to install it so i can have them figure it out (SUNRUN and FORD).

smax64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F250 FX4
Occupation
Firefighter
That is sainthood level of patience, I could never! I've heard you get like 2 miles per hour on 120v.

I really want my charger up and running before my truck arrives even with it's amber lighting and crappy ford app ruining the fun.

This was the extreme downside with Sunrun other posters were talking about. This does suck because if I dont go with Sunrun then tying the two system together or having solar supplement the HIS is alot less likely and alot less desirable. Damn that sucks
You can't get the free charger until after you receive your truck. they originally had contracts to allow for that but ford/sunrun quickly scraped that...
Sponsored