• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

40k Silverado EV WT pricing LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
$35k Model 3 Standard Range and the single motor Cybertruck.
$35K Model 3 SR did get produced. Offered for 3 months on the web site, then pulled (for lack of interest) and held as an off-menu config for the next 6 months before being eliminated. Problem was timing. Most who had planned on it with their reservation just bought the $39K model. The stragglers or those newly shopping the car were unimpressed with the compromise vs. the $4K in savings. In short, it was a dud of an offering or too little, too late.

The blog post on Tesla's web site announcing the launch of the $35K model is still there:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now

The only low cost configuration that Tesla has promoted and has not offered has been the SR/ RWD Model Y. It just made zero sense once in testing as there was too much compromise with the single motor. So they canned it.

We don't know what they will produce for Cybertruck. The $39K base model is most likely gone, I don't see how they could produce that in the current market. Base model CT will at least be as capable as the base model Lightning Pro and comparably priced, otherwise no one will buy it. They may have to try and undercut Ford's pricing, which IMO won't be too difficult with the recent price hikes.
Sponsored

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
The only low cost configuration that Tesla has promoted and has not offered has been the SR/ RWD Model Y. It just made zero sense once in testing as there was too much compromise with the single motor. So they canned it.
Actually, they did produce an SR/RWD Y for a short period of time... from about end of December 2020 to mid 2021... for ~$39k.

I have one... jumped on it as soon as they announced it.

I feel very little difference between mine and the AWD Y.

Elon cut it because. he probably didn't need a low cost model anymore since everyone kept buying Ys even after he raised prices and I don't think the single motor setup significantly reduced build costs. Probably also easier to keep the assembly line dual motor for everything.

And forget the $40k Cybertruck... that's gonna start at $60k minimum.

krusshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 VW ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2016 Ram 1500
The $35k Model 3 was a thing.
$35K Model 3 SR did get produced.
The "$35k Model 3" never existed. It was supposed to be a truly decontented Model 3 like the Lightning Pro. It was supposed to have a smaller battery pack, a steel roof, smaller basic center console, cloth seats. What Tesla actually offered was a price-reduced Standard Range Plus with a software-locked battery pack and heated seats so Musk could get away with fulfilling his promise.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I kinda like the Chevy.
Much better driver view. I really like that smaller screen.
Maybe Chevy will learn some things from Ford.
Like a motor on the tailgate and frunk. Delete or put on just high trims or make it an option.
If Chevy gets rid of many of the trinkets and still sells close to Ford prices, Chevy will make more dollars per unit than Ford.
Photos taken from link in OP's post on page one this thread.
Ford F-150 Lightning 40k Silverado EV WT pricing LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣 chevy e dash

Ford F-150 Lightning 40k Silverado EV WT pricing LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣 chevy e $$$

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I kinda like the Chevy.
Much better driver view. I really like that smaller screen.
Maybe Chevy will learn some things from Ford.
Like a motor on the tailgate and frunk. Delete or put on just high trims or make it an option.
If Chevy gets rid of many of the trinkets and still sells close to Ford prices, Chevy will make more dollars per unit than Ford.
Photos taken from link in OP's post on page one this thread.
chevy e dash.jpg

chevy e $$$.jpg
I like the Ford interior much better (and the Exterior look much more so). Especially around the gauge cluster. The Lightning's is much better integrated.

H3IMDALL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Boxster GTS, Porsche Panamera Turbo
Occupation
Software Architect
I like the Ford interior much better (and the Exterior look much more so). Especially around the gauge cluster. The Lightning's is much better integrated.
Certainly than the interior pic above, but the one on Chevy's site is much better looking. I like the exterior of the Silverado, but we had an Avalanche that we loved at one point. Maybe the WT version is just a couple of tablets tacked onto the dash lol. TBH that's what I don't like about Ford's big rectangle .. it still has the look of an ipad someone glued to the dash.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Certainly than the interior pic above, but the one on Chevy's site is much better looking. I like the exterior of the Silverado, but we had an Avalanche that we loved at one point. Maybe the WT version is just a couple of tablets tacked onto the dash lol. TBH that's what I don't like about Ford's big rectangle .. it still has the look of an ipad someone glued to the dash.
Yup GMC/Chevy would never do that..

Ford F-150 Lightning 40k Silverado EV WT pricing LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣 2024-gmc-sierra-ev-denali-edition-1-interior

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The "$35k Model 3" never existed. It was supposed to be a truly decontented Model 3 like the Lightning Pro. It was supposed to have a smaller battery pack, a steel roof, smaller basic center console, cloth seats. What Tesla actually offered was a price-reduced Standard Range Plus with a software-locked battery pack and heated seats so Musk could get away with fulfilling his promise.
So... Tesla offered the ~$35k Model 3 for 19 months and it was way better than promised.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think the general point everyone is making is that Electric vehicles are getting more expensive.
My point is that the very common "$35k Model 3 never existed" claim is nonsense.

But yeah, EV prices are going up (at about the same rate as gas vehicles, ~12% ASP from 2021->2022), and the most obvious/egregious increases are seen in the models where they were artificially lowered for marketing purposes.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
My guess is they may have a less expensive version later on but why cannibalize sales from the more expensive one if people are willing to pay it to be "first"?

This is what Tesla did successfully to launch an entire company. Sell the most expensive cars to keep the lights on while you ramp up volume which will bring the prices down for the subsequent less expensive versions. This worked well enough for them.

Conversely, look how well it worked for Ford to offer all four trim levels at launch for marketing purposes ("Starting under $40k!") and then try to limit the cheaper ones in a horribly botched reservation/pre-order system. This marketing effort likely had a much higher cost in reputation than they may have realized.

IMO the right way to do it is to just list the most expensive flagship model first. Sell out of those and then begin appealing to a more broad market as you can achieve better volumetric efficiency through scaling. That makes those lower priced versions more profitable as you draw in a crowd that wasn't able or willing to buy the most expensive versions early on.

The problem is Tesla had to compete with practically no one(in the EV space) and Chevy has to be at least close to Ford in terms of pricing. Also Ram will be there soon.

Also..this is for the work truck. Work truck buyers(and fleet managers) are a whole different ballgame when it come to sales and marketing. Way different than regular EV customers.

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
But wasn't it $39k..so the $35k model never existed.
It was between $35,000 and $35,400 for the 19 months it existed. That is the Model 3 SR.

The much more popular version was the Model 3 SR+, that was $37k-$39k. It offered 20 miles additional range, Autopilot (the $35k version didn't even have regular autopilot, only "dumb" cruise control and no lane centering), etc.
Sponsored