• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Regen's great (especially in newer cars with much higher regen power) but doesn't come into it when testing performance (whether it's straight line or race circuit laps.)

There's youtube influencers showing "one pedal" driving of the Lightning, if that's what you've not seen.
I have seen a lot of people driving the lightning; and the one pedal driving.

In this case, I am specifically referring to how regen couples with the brake pedal and adds to the total braking force. As long as the tires don’t lose traction, all things considered, it should act like a bigger set of brakes.
In particular, our Kia has significantly better braking than the same ICE version because of the regen addition.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

In this case, I am specifically referring to how regen couples with the brake pedal and adds to the total braking force. As long as the tires don’t lose traction, all things considered, it should act like a bigger set of brakes.
In particular, our Kia has significantly better braking than the same ICE version because of the regen addition.
In an emergency stop, the stopping force is 100% dictated by tire friction, unless the brakes have been horribly designed. Beyond that, the brake design will dictate heat capacity and dissipation - i.e. when and how fast does brake fade kick in

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
In an emergency stop, the stopping force is 100% dictated by tire friction, unless the brakes have been horribly designed. Beyond that, the brake design will dictate heat capacity and dissipation - i.e. when and how fast does brake fade kick in
Yep. Agreed. What concerns me is that at least in the tests, the stopping distance was longer - it could be down to the tires.

However, I have some intimate knowledge specific to the Kia Soul EV vs. the ICE version, and that the EV version, with the same brakes as the ICE has a significantly greater stopping power. It pulls nearly 1.0 G under two-foot braking. (We will need to test that again soon with a G-meter)

So, tire friction aside, I would have expected the Lightning's brakes to get less hot, and have better braking than the ICE F150 due to the effects of regen.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

A graph of the friction brake force and the regen brake force would make this clear. To describe in words may be like describing a haystack in a hail storm …

In short, peak friction brake performance alone exceeds peak tire grip, so the contribution of regen doesn't make the system "a bigger brake," but it appears to create more linear peak threshold braking (ABS being much slower cycling than the electric motor controller.)

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Look forward to seeing 0-60 test for XLT SR.
Don’t obsess over that. I test drove XLT SR. Amazingly quick 20 - 85. I backed off when I looked down and saw 85 in 55 zone. Did not feel like 85 in my 2015 F150.
Sponsored