• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I wonder if the trap speed could have been a little better if they folded the mirrors in - save that aero drag!
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I wonder if the trap speed could have been a little better if they folded the mirrors in - save that aero drag!

Spray some methanol on the battery casing!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Crazy that the Lightning crushes the Mach E GT in 1/4-mile trap speed.

Imagine you've got a Mach E GT Performance at the drag strip, you go up against a Lightning Pro ER Landscaping truck, and starts reeling you in FAST at ~80mph and blows by you at ~100mph as you are crossing the 1/4-mile mark.

Ford needs to fix the Mach E GT, IMO, but it's clear they've improved the cooling for the Lightning or the larger battery allows full power to last longer before thermal throttling.

Another thought: I wonder if there's any effect from the Max Tow Package cooling in this case.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Ford doesn't have access to big brakes for F-150s?
EVs are heavy and get up to high speeds in short distances … seems obvious to up the stoppers.

I'm sure they're fine for towing (no problems in my Hybrid) but it seems to me Ford must have encountered the brake limits and somehow decided it wasn't worth so much as a better rotor and pad?

Tesla has always had terribly inadequate brakes. Rivian has great brakes (and the R1T is a lot quicker than a Tesla Model 3 Performance.) It didn't occur to me that Ford wouldn't upgrade the brakes on the Lightning.

If regen is working properly, you should not need bigger brakes. Regen with 2 motors acting on all 4 wheels should be pretty strong all on its own. I am currently using a Kia Niro EV (regular EV in shop) and when I set the regen to the highest level, taking my foot off the accelerator results in a very significant braking force - with no help from the discs/rotors.

It makes me wonder why we are not seeing this in the F150 so far.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
It's a good point about regen, but I guess it depends on how much the braking distance was limited by the tires vs. the brakes. If it's the tires, additional regen won't really help.

Here is a reference for other trucks 70-0 from this site: https://www.carindigo.com/ford/f-150/0to60. The F150 here is a 6.5 ft XL with the 3.3l. The Lightning measures up here at least.

1654184282011.png

But this site says the 2021 Powerboost 70-0 is 148 ft: https://www.evpulse.com/news/2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-xlt-acceleration-and-braking-performance-tested

I agree that with a lot of "go" you also need a lot of "whoa."
Stick the equivalent weight of the batteries in the powerboost bed and stopping distance no doubt would increase

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Crazy that the Lightning crushes the Mach E GT in 1/4-mile trap speed.

Imagine you've got a Mach E GT Performance at the drag strip, you go up against a Lightning Pro ER Landscaping truck, and starts reeling you in FAST at ~80mph and blows by you at ~100mph as you are crossing the 1/4-mile mark.

Ford needs to fix the Mach E GT, IMO, but it's clear they've improved the cooling for the Lightning or the larger battery allows full power to last longer before thermal throttling.

Another thought: I wonder if there's any effect from the Max Tow Package cooling in this case.
Not sure, but after Out of Spec Kyle's video, I added it to my order. This just makes me even more happy that I did.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If regen is working properly, you should not need bigger brakes. Regen with 2 motors acting on all 4 wheels should be pretty strong all on its own. I am currently using a Kia Niro EV (regular EV in shop) and when I set the regen to the highest level, taking my foot off the accelerator results in a very significant braking force - with no help from the discs/rotors.

The braking force you get from Regen isn't even close to the force of an emergency stop - which is what they were testing.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The braking force you get from Regen isn't even close to the force of an emergency stop - which is what they were testing.
When we test (and are going to test it again) emergency braking in our Kia Soul EV we get nearly 1 G worth of braking force. This is because of the combination of regen+brakes. The regen adds significantly to the braking force.

I would expect to see the same in an emergency stop with an F150. Even with low-rolling-resistance tires we still get insane braking in the Soul EV.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Indeed, friction brakes are absolutely ridiculously strong. Bigger (balanced) brakes not only provide better brake force modulation, they are bigger heatsinks that allow for repetitive stops without fading. I think better pads are needed here to reduce brake fade, and better tires are needed to reduce stopping distance.

LRR tires have terrible grip. I thought my Model S was borderline dangerous in emergency stops with the original LRR MIchelins. I could easily activate ABS, but stopping distance was huge. With performance all season tires the car stops like a champ.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
OK, when are we getting an aftermarket carbon ceramic brake kit for the lightning? :)

Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Pro ER will be the fastest...all those fleet drivers are going to be tooling around in sub-4s trucks.
Only the ones that aren't limited down by their companies. You really think companies would allow their employees to drive a truck that fast?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Only the ones that aren't limited down by their companies. You really think companies would allow their employees to drive a truck that fast?
Only dumb ones.

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Toyota RAV4 Prime, ‘22 Maverick XL
Pro ER will be the fastest...all those fleet drivers are going to be tooling around in sub-4s trucks.
I had a summer job in high school for my city’s parks & trees dept. One of the trucks had a 350 V8 in it…that was more than enough to get in trouble.

17 year old me behind the wheel of a lightning would be baaaaaaaaaaaad news :ROFLMAO:

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Truly smart companies will remove the throttling so their employees get to the job site in half the time, and make lots more money! /s

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

Regen's great (especially in newer cars with much higher regen power) but doesn't come into it when testing performance (whether it's straight line or race circuit laps.)

There's youtube influencers showing "one pedal" driving of the Lightning, if that's what you've not seen.
Sponsored