• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

0-60 in 4 seconds says Farley

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
I noted that Farley stated 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. He is either ad-libbing or they shaved some time off the previous announcements.
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
4 seconds (truncated, not rounded). 4s is anything from 4.0 to 4.99 =It starts with a 4. If it was 3.8 or 3.9 you can bet that they would be very specific with their acceleration time.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
and, for many of us, it depends on whether you start counting with 1, or with 0...

OP
OP
idahospud

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
4 seconds (truncated, not rounded). 4s is anything from 4.0 to 4.99 =It starts with a 4. If it was 3.8 or 3.9 you can bet that they would be very specific with their acceleration time.
You are probably right, he rounded the power capacity from 9.6 to 10 kWh as well.

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
It’s marketing exaggeration that allows him leeway there. He also said it’s the only electric truck followed by something to the effect of, “for Americans, in America, and built ‘here’.”
That list word allowed him to say anything. Sure, there is no other EV built at the rouge facility, but obviously the Rivian exists and roams the streets.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
My Volvo does this with fuel consumption. I'd you use 0.49 gallons on a given trip it will report 0.4.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
They seem to be using the language "mid 4 seconds". He was clearly reading from a prompter and he may have just scanned right over the "mid" word.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I’m not a race car driver, so the speed only tells half of the story when it comes to a real world pickup truck.

The torque figures are also only half of the story… although we clearly couldn’t do test rides with a trailer, the engineers made it clear that drivers won’t notice any change in power while towing or carrying a heavy load. All that extra power is there when it’s needed to get the job done without breaking a sweat.

Purists will tell you their Diesel engines are better at hauling or towing, yada yada, but they aren’t as effortless under such loads. Taking all those torque and horsepower figures and mix in a bit of computer optimization and whisper quiet magic, we will be able to get more done, and never even feel the engine struggle. That’s what counts.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I’m not a race car driver, so the speed only tells half of the story when it comes to a real world pickup truck.

The torque figures are also only half of the story… although we clearly couldn’t do test rides with a trailer, the engineers made it clear that drivers won’t notice any change in power while towing or carrying a heavy load. All that extra power is there when it’s needed to get the job done without breaking a sweat.

Purists will tell you their Diesel engines are better at hauling or towing, yada yada, but they aren’t as effortless under such loads. Taking all those torque and horsepower figures and mix in a bit of computer optimization and whisper quiet magic, we will be able to get more done, and never even feel the engine struggle. That’s what counts.
You are absolutely correct! Having gone from the Legendary 7.3 PSD to a Tesla. (Don’t judge me) diesel has been to this point the king of hauling and generally getting stuff done with its compression ignition mite! These days it simply can’t hold a candle to the insane torque curve of modern electric motors. That being said, the energy compacting of one liter of Diesel is far more than even the best battery tech pound for pound. Batteries will catch up, maybe not surpass the energy density of diesel but there will come a point where the transition will make total sense. For me, towing a heavy trailer longer distances is going to happen. I am aware of the trade off of amazing towing or the lighting for a substantial loss in range. Im okay with that. Charging will simply be more frequent when I do tow. That being said, she’s going to be my commuter 95% of the time and the range will never be an issue. I embrace the transition!!!

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
You are absolutely correct! Having gone from the Legendary 7.3 PSD to a Tesla. (Don’t judge me) diesel has been to this point the king of hauling and generally getting stuff done with its compression ignition mite! These days it simply can’t hold a candle to the insane torque curve of modern electric motors. That being said, the energy compacting of one liter of Diesel is far more than even the best battery tech pound for pound. Batteries will catch up, maybe not surpass the energy density of diesel but there will come a point where the transition will make total sense. For me, towing a heavy trailer longer distances is going to happen. I am aware of the trade off of amazing towing or the lighting for a substantial loss in range. Im okay with that. Charging will simply be more frequent when I do tow. That being said, she’s going to be my commuter 95% of the time and the range will never be an issue. I embrace the transition!!!
Even diesel locomotives have electric drive motors.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
For me, power is about capability.

Some people want to drive fast. Lightning can clearly do that.

Some people want to haul or tow. Ditto.

Some people want power on the go, for camping, RV or tailgate parties. You bet!

Some people want a simple daily driver with speed when they need it. Ditto too.

Some people need a truck that handles mountains and hills with ease. No trouble here.

Statistics are just numbers. These are real world conditions. It's in the way these numbers translate that matters. Most of us have done some these things with an ICE vehicle, but can we say that their engines didn't roar as they got the job done? The Lightning does all of them without a peep.
Sponsored