• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

120V Charging in Cold

OP
OP

WattTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still Looking
Thanks @mb0220 - can I ask what unit you were using? I thought I read the charger isn’t included with purchase now anyway (I very well could be wrong!) so perhaps better to go with a more cold adapted solution from the get go. Appreciate it!
Sponsored

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Thanks @mb0220 - can I ask what unit you were using? I thought I read the charger isn’t included with purchase now anyway (I very well could be wrong!) so perhaps better to go with a more cold adapted solution from the get go. Appreciate it!
I was using the mobile charger that came with my Rivian. But to your question, I would definitely get yourself a mobile cord to carry in your vehicle at all times - and all the better if you can avoid the Ford unit.

OP
OP

WattTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still Looking
Appreciate it. I see Rivian sells that for $400 - does it fit the Lightning without adapters etc.?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Correct. The Ford Mobile Charger is a $500 option. You can do better for less money.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model 3, Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Dev
Would this effect be mitigated if you could keep the "box" of the charger inside the garage?
tried. Once the battery was cold soaked it didn’t make a difference. Ran the cable under that garage door but had the “charger” inside a heated garage. No difference. Same scenario with a 220v dongle works fine.

Sponsored

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
Correct. The Ford Mobile Charger is a $500 option. You can do better for less money.
I am about to buy a 2023 Pro, and one on the lot didn't include the cord. I was quoted $350 for the Ford mobile cord from the parts department. I switched to another truck on the lot that included the cord for $500 per the window sticker. Go figure.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I am about to buy a 2023 Pro, and one on the lot didn't include the cord. I was quoted $350 for the Ford mobile cord from the parts department. I switched to another truck on the lot that included the cord for $500 per the window sticker. Go figure.
That $350 quote is interesting.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Thanks all. @mefly2 appreciate the experience. Do you think other than the cabin heating and pre conditioning it would have worked in that cold? Or did you perhaps notice if it was still charging but just not keeping up with the heating load? I am trying to figure out if it will ever not work at all. But if it charged down to -22F (albeit slowly I know) at least I’d know when I could count on it and not.

It typically stays above 0 in my garage. But I’m also curious about perhaps plugging in at something like a workplace.
It is always above 0 F in our garage and do not have experience with charging in below 0 with any brand charger. I don't think that I would count on the Ford Mobile Charger at work and below zero unless on 220 vac.

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
That $350 quote is interesting.
According to the salesman, this store hasn’t moved a ton of EVs. Maybe he misquoted or was trying to cut me a break. I didn’t want to ask!