• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

18" Snow Wheels/ Hakkapeliitta LT3

SilverKlister

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro
I saw the recent post about 17" steel wheels which didn't fit and thought I's post something which does work... for posterity's sake.

Long story made short, I couldn't find used F-150 wheels with or without snow tires locally. No 17" steels and everything aluminum I could find was either beat to hell, or brand new with expensive summer tires, or aftermarket with silly offset specs. So, I picked up a set of factory take-off wheels off ebay. These are ford PN ML341007BA, and are dimensionally the same as the wheels which came on my pro, including offset. I got the ideal from @Dylanch 's post on studded winter wheels. I can confirm, they do fit, no issues. My truck also has max tow, so the larger rear rotors. I know there has been discussion on the weight carrying specs for wheels, and it's not something I'm worried about. There's a lot of metal here.

Snow tire brands are one of the most highly opinionated things out there, and I can say that I've used all of the brands. This time around, I chose Hakka's because my local shop gave me what I considered a good deal and mounted them up on the wheels. Their price with mounting and balancing was essentially the same as the online price for the tires.

Tires wise, I've noticed a little louder road noise, about the same efficiency while driving, and quite good grip on snow and ice. I don't have a season on them, but so far, so good. For those who are considering the R5 vs the LT3, I think you're going to get more miles out of the LT3, as they have a deeper tread. The price difference between R5's and LT3's was insignificant. You can look up the specs on the Nokian site and make your own conclusions.

Here's what they look like on my silver truck:

Ford F-150 Lightning 18" Snow Wheels/ Hakkapeliitta LT3 IMG_2080
Sponsored

MacLightning

First Name
Fion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
I'm glad to see your post about your experience with snow tires / rims on your Lightning.
I'm going into winter #2 with my XLT in western NY, where we get some gnarly winter weather.
This past summer I picked up a set of 20" Ford Sport take-offs with Hankook Dynapros.
I like the look of the 20" rims better than the 18" aeros that came with the XLT, and so far I've noticed negligible range impact from the swap.

Having driven last winter with the stock Michelin Primacy XC all-seasons, and having no issues with traction, I'm considering parting with the 18" wheels altogether.
Keeping a sharp set of all-seasons on the 20" rims would seem to fit my need for a compromise in traction / rolling efficiency / looks / cost.

Anyone want to change my mind?