• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Hypothetical question here.
If I have a 300 mile trip to make and there are no charge stations available anywhere along that route, does it make sense to take the scenic byways instead of the interstate?
If you have no choice, keep driving at 50mph, try as much as possible to reduce any electricity usage.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
I remember that calculator. My cara get poor mpg anyways and I make fairly decent money so it told me I should be driving something like 120 or 140. Think it would hold up in a court of law?😝
the only way you'd get a Lightning to 140 is if it's falling off a cliff 😉🤣

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
hell, my old 1995 Mustang GT convertible could do 145 with enough open roadway.

hypothetically, I mean.

yeah.

hypothetically.
So could my 1991 Dodge Daytona - hypothetically of course....

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The F150L is a big sail. Slowing it down will help. At 35-45MPH on cruise control and limited stops they could really up the e-mpg.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
.... I also only plan one day at a time and always try to stay at a hotel with a charging station so I can always leave with 100% battery.

ABRP is also in "alpha" planning mode for the Lightning since it is approximating what consumption will be under various conditions, so it may do better as they get more data on how it performs in different conditions. I notice that the ABRP estimated energy consumption @ 65mph is very high: 596wh/mi. Try adjusting that to 552 which is what the SR truck is rated for on the highway, perhaps even closer to 500wh/mi since I believe the rated window sticker consumption reflects a 10% charging efficiency loss which isn't important for range.
Yes agree - when I drive my PHEV out of the area and need to stop at a hotel, I choose the one that has L2 EV chargers available.

Patronize the ones that cater to EV drivers!

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I will be interested to see reports on how much Lightning will draw from outlet. I mean to fill 98kWh battery pack from 0 to 100%, how much it will draw from grid.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
There is loss at EVSE and in the onboard charger along with the battery. My guess is about 10% depending on outside temps.
The battery may have to maintain temps and further worsen losses.

I monitor my Bolt EV overnight charging and it doesn't really take much overhead versus what the onboard use is each days drive.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
My Tesla averages 86.69% charging efficiency on AC. Almost all of that is 240v. 120v is about 15% lower.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Hypothetical question here.
If I have a 300 mile trip to make and there are no charge stations available anywhere along that route, does it make sense to take the scenic byways instead of the interstate?
depends how much longer the scenic route is. If it’s 320 miles, yeah, you’ll probably arrive with more range. If it’s 350 it’s probably a wash. I’m assuming about a 20 mph difference in speed (ie 70 vs 50). If you need to go 300 miles on the interstate make sure your tires are inflated a few psi over spec and set cruise at 60. Maybe fold in the mirrors. 😉

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
depends how much longer the scenic route is. If it’s 320 miles, yeah, you’ll probably arrive with more range. If it’s 350 it’s probably a wash. I’m assuming about a 20 mph difference in speed (ie 70 vs 50). If you need to go 300 miles on the interstate make sure your tires are inflated a few psi over spec and set cruise at 60. Maybe fold in the mirrors. 😉
Maybe just fold one mirror (by hand).

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I am going crazy here.... Where do they pull the 2-cycle info from on the EPA site? I scoured the site and cannot find it anywhere....
Wanted to bump this if anyone knows?

Also, I am exstatic about this highway range and efficiency. My Model 3 P is horrible on the highway. Best I have ever done on 100-0 is ~215 miles. A more normal 80-0 gets me about 170 miles in a stint. A real 275 on highway is a huge improvement!

We have a common trip from Boston to VT that is 140 miles each way. Even leaving with 100%, we have to stop to charge x2.... Definitely a surprise on a car sold with 310 miles :). But love the 3 to death though. EV range really needs to be reported differently and not be bound by the limitations of the gas efficiency framework.

Something like: Highway (70mph)/ Highway (50 mph)/City/Combined range. And then two columns for mild weather and cold weather. It's a lot of numbers but they matter...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I definitely agree that something like 70/50/30mph efficiency numbers would be much more useful. Also, having the numbers at 75F and 20F would be great.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Wanted to bump this if anyone knows?

Also, I am exstatic about this highway range and efficiency. My Model 3 P is horrible on the highway. Best I have ever done on 100-0 is ~215 miles. A more normal 80-0 gets me about 170 miles in a stint. A real 275 on highway is a huge improvement!

We have a common trip from Boston to VT that is 140 miles each way. Even leaving with 100%, we have to stop to charge x2.... Definitely a surprise on a car sold with 310 miles :). But love the 3 to death though. EV range really needs to be reported differently and not be bound by the limitations of the gas efficiency framework.

Something like: Highway (70mph)/ Highway (50 mph)/City/Combined range. And then two columns for mild weather and cold weather. It's a lot of numbers but they matter...
Yes. If the manufacturers just gave the numbers battery capacity, range at 70mph, range at 50mph, range at 30mph (cruise control set 100% to 0%) and they gave those numbers at 70 degrees, and 20 degrees then the consumer could plan a trip and properly compare different cars. If it is 0 degrees, knowing to subtract 10 to 20 percent from the 20 degree range and if 110 degrees subtracting 10 percent from the 70 degree range. Don't tell me the mpge that accounts for charging losses (don't charge really slow or really fast. Don't charge to 100 percent and there will be fewer inefficiencies). Just the pack size (useable) and range at specified speeds and temperatures.
Sponsored