• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The info was on the epa site a while ago. Shocked that it was close to the Rivian.

However..... OEM's do the tests. All the real world numbers will begin to show up soon. Doubt they will be much better than posted. At $4/gallon gas it can still add up in 100K miles.
I feel ya - I just filled up at $5.05 a gallon.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Efficiency is identical in each drive mode on the Mach E according for Ford.

Sorry - I meant the amount of regen in 1 pedal driving. You get the most in unbridled, less in engaged, and very little in whisper.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
In the truck I saw an option for one pedal driving on and off. I did not see a sub-selection which changed the regen amount, like in my Tesla where there is three options.

I may have missed the feature in a sub menu, or perhaps it only appeared some place I already looked after one-pedal is set to on? I asked one of the workers at the event and they said the option was solely on or off, but maybe they didn't know all the details either? What are the options in the Mach-E?

One other thing, in off-road and towing drive modes, the option for one pedal driving is disabled. So if you're towing and hoping to save a few miles with regen, that doesn't appear to be possible.

20220506_105711.jpg

I'm not sure if the Lightning will have the same system as the Mach E or not, but if so one-pedal driving will not impact range.

The Mach E uses a blended braking system that utilizes regenerative braking when you step on the brake pedal. Regenerative brakes are utilized prior to utilizing any friction braking as needed when you step on the brake pedal.

The only difference when turning on one pedal driving on the Mach E is whether the regenerative braking is applied when stepping on the brake or letting off the gas, but the regenerative brae is applied either way to maximize range.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Sorry - I meant the amount of regen in 1 pedal driving. You get the most in unbridled, less in engaged, and very little in whisper.
I'm far from a Ford regenerative braking expert, but this doesn't seem to impact range either. The Mach E maximizes regenerative braking when one pedal driving is off when you step on the brake to slow down or stop.

The only difference when one pedal driving is on is that you don't have to touch the brake pedal.

Regenerative braking is used to maximize range either way thanks to Ford's blended braking system.

It's counterintuitive, but on the Mach E when you step on the brake it doesn't actually apply the friction brakes. 8t applies regenerative braking. Once regenerative braking had been maximized, it more braking force is needed, friction brakes are applied. It's all controlled electronically by the car without any direct human input based on the amount of force needed to slow down the car. In other words the driver doesn't control when friction braking vs regenerative braking is used... The car does. The only thing the driver controls is how much of the force is automatic vs manual by stepping on the brake pedal.

I could be wrong though. Just repeating how it was explained on the Mach E forums.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm far from a Ford regenerative braking expert, but this doesn't seem to impact range either. The Mach E maximizes regenerative braking when one pedal driving is off when you step on the brake to slow down or stop.

The only difference when one pedal driving is on is that you don't have to touch the brake pedal.

Regenerative braking is used to maximize range either way thanks to Ford's blended braking system.

I could be wrong though. Just repeating how it was explained on the Mach E forums.
No, you have it exactly right, my comment was just about the lack of control for amount of Regen.

It doesn't impact range because Ford using blending braking in all modes.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
FWIW INside EVs 70mph range test of the Rivian(slightly better highway rating) got 290mi on the off road tires. The EPA range for the Rivian was on the street tires. This has led many to speculate the street tire test would be slightly better than EPA.

Given the Rivian result and the experience with the Mach E..don't be surprised if the LIghtning gets slightly higher than EPA highway. 290'ish--maybe touch 300mi? Ford tends to go conservative with their range ratings.

As always YMMV....

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
But, unless you’re in an area with limited fast charging, if you’re driving over 250 miles it’s more time efficient to drive faster and charge more often.
You'd also have to include the cost of the charge in the calculation. If time = money then money = time. I admit this is more an issue with an ICE vehicle. Somewhere on this world wide web is an equation where you enter mpg of vehicle, cost of gas and how much you make an hour. I seem to remember the example given was 25mpg, $4.00/gal and a $20 hour wage the optimum speed was 66 mph. Any speed above that you were theoretically losing time.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You'd also have to include the cost of the charge in the calculation. If time = money then money = time. I admit this is more an issue with an ICE vehicle. Somewhere on this world wide web is an equation where you enter mpg of vehicle, cost of gas and how much you make an hour. I seem to remember the example given was 25mpg, $4.00/gal and a $20 hour wage the optimum speed was 66 mph. Any speed above that you were theoretically losing time.
I remember that calculator. My cara get poor mpg anyways and I make fairly decent money so it told me I should be driving something like 120 or 140. Think it would hold up in a court of law?😝

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I am going crazy here.... Where do they pull the 2-cycle info from on the EPA site? I scoured the site and cannot find it anywhere....

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Hypothetical question here.
If I have a 300 mile trip to make and there are no charge stations available anywhere along that route, does it make sense to take the scenic byways instead of the interstate?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If I have a 300 mile trip to make and there are no charge stations available anywhere along that route, does it make sense to take the scenic byways instead of the interstate?
Best option would be the shortest route, with the least hills, at the slowest reasonable speed.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I was asking the same question as I go fishing in a lot in rural areas.

A Better Route Planner online map, I can see all my fishing destinations have some orange sections of the drive and specifies maximum speeds lower than freeway / highway speeds to make it to the next DC Fast charger (L3).

But when I add L2 charge stations, the map doesn't have as much restrictions.

There are some range anxiety sections of driving when only using L3 (EA) chargers when I drive from CA to MT:
Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning EPA highway + city range / efficiency numbers posted Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.50.22 AM

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Many people have mentioned this, but the 3rd party charging networks really need to expand to cover more interstate travel before focusing on urban areas since 85% of EV owners charge at home. This is another reason I opted for the ER battery.

Not sure what your ABRP settings are, but I plan for an 8% SoC arrival at all charging stops. I also only plan one day at a time and always try to stay at a hotel with a charging station so I can always leave with 100% battery.

ABRP is also in "alpha" planning mode for the Lightning since it is approximating what consumption will be under various conditions, so it may do better as they get more data on how it performs in different conditions. I notice that the ABRP estimated energy consumption @ 65mph is very high: 596wh/mi. Try adjusting that to 552 which is what the SR truck is rated for on the highway, perhaps even closer to 500wh/mi since I believe the rated window sticker consumption reflects a 10% charging efficiency loss which isn't important for range.
Sponsored