• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

3rd wave people - XLT vs Wait for Pro

Thart53

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Wanted to get some further opinions from other 3rd wave people. I really wanted the pro but currently only xlt is available. Do we have any idea if more (enough) pros will be available by extending the reservation to a 2023. Additionally theres the tax incentive thing currently could qualify for the full 7,500 and my state has a 2,500 so 10k total vs unknown amount by waiting for a 2023 pro plus possible msrp increases on the pro next year. Thoughts?
Sponsored

merobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
Wanted to get some further opinions from other 3rd wave people. I really wanted the pro but currently only xlt is available. Do we have any idea if more (enough) pros will be available by extending the reservation to a 2023. Additionally theres the tax incentive thing currently could qualify for the full 7,500 and my state has a 2,500 so 10k total vs unknown amount by waiting for a 2023 pro plus possible msrp increases on the pro next year. Thoughts?
I'm not 3rd Wave (no idea what wave I might be with an early morning 5/20 reservation), but I've decided to pull out and see the larger EV truck landscape develop. The PRO fit my needs perfectly. Given the lack of transparency from Ford about how many PRO's might be built, and the uncertainty of 2023+ pricing on the PRO, it makes no sense for me to stay in the lottery. Plus, I can't really see that a reservation really puts me ahead of the general buyer once production ramps up. It looks like lots of EV truck options are in the time frame that I would likely get an F150...so I wait.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Not a wave 3, probably whatever wave corresponds to 120,000th in line, but FWIW I'd go with the xlt, IF I were in wave 3 and IF I could afford it. Remember the tax credit comes later...you have to shell out the cash.

As it stands, I haven't canceled my reservations....yet, but have very low (and I believe realistically low) expectations of ever being able to order a PRO.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Not a wave 3, probably whatever wave corresponds to 120,000th in line, but FWIW I'd go with the xlt, IF I were in wave 3 and IF I could afford it. Remember the tax credit comes later...you have to shell out the cash.

As it stands, I haven't canceled my reservations....yet, but have very low (and I believe realistically low) expectations of ever being able to order a PRO.
Same thoughts here!~

Don't need a higher trim for just myself (no other driver) - don't want the higher monthly payments - don't need to show it off to the neighbors - don't want a higher trim to drive back and forth to work as a daily commuter - Pro would would have fit all my needs even without the $7500 I would be happy.

Hoping for the XLT base SR in the future waves....

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
I bought the XLT SR in Wave 3 because I can take advantage of my State (CA) & Fed tax incentive to offset the cost. Otherwise I would have waited for the PRO. I can get 7500 Fed and like 2000 state and another 1000 local rebate if I buy the XLT

Sponsored

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
I bought the XLT SR in Wave 3 because I can take advantage of my State (CA) & Fed tax incentive to offset the cost. Otherwise I would have waited for the PRO. I can get 7500 Fed and like 2000 state and another 1000 local rebate if I buy the XLT
My thoughts as well. The tax credit would likely sunset before one can get a PRO,at rate the PROs are being made avaliable for retail orders.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
I'm still waffling. The XLT just doesn't look like a good deal when held up against the Pro. Maybe if some of the plus features were base XLT.

But the item list is tiny.

OP
OP

Thart53

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I'm still waffling. The XLT just doesn't look like a good deal when held up against the Pro. Maybe if some of the plus features were base XLT.

But the item list is tiny.
I agree and in fact I would rather have the vinyl seats. However whats to say they don't raise the price on the pro next year and/or only make 500 of them again and we are forced to order a 2023 xlt without tax credit or wait for a 2024 pro which could be 47k by then...

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
If they make 500 of them, I have a feeling Waves 2 and 3 from this year will be fine.

Alot of people bought the XLT due to FOMO or just having the extra funds to waste. I'd imagine some people in these waves also got fed up and canceled their reservation.

The amount of people in these 2 waves that extended their reservation and plan on waiting it out...500 feels about right.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Quote from Hannah Ooom, Ford Electric Vehicle Product Communications Manager, from this article (link below but not sure if it’s allowed):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/f-150-lightning-pro-sold-out/

“Lightning Pro trim is now sold out for retail customers for the 22MY. Pro is still available for fleet customers. Fleet customers can order any variation of the F-150 Lightning, if they have a valid FIN code.

The F-150 Lightning has a wide bandwidth of configurations to choose from. Due to high demand of the Pro trim, we currently have communicated that it is sold out rather than continue to take orders that will not be built in 22MY for our customers. As we monitor 22MY customer orders, we plan to communicate similarly specific trim, battery, or options that meet 22MY production capacity and allow our reservation holders to extend their reservation until the certain configuration is available in a subsequent model year.

Ford is offering an “Extend My Reservation” functionality so customers who wanted a sold-out trim can extend their reservation to be invited back to place their order when the configuration is available at a later date.”

EDIT: So reading between the lines here…
a) there is no supply chain constraint on the Pro because Ford is continuing to take orders from fleet customers; Ford is basically stating too many retail customers were ordering Pros so they stopped it.
b) it seems to be implied that if you extend your Pro reservation you will be invited to order a ‘23 based on time stamp.
c) Ford is limiting availability based on trim AND packages. So at some point XLTs will still be available but either the 311a or 312a packages will trigger an “extend your reservation” button if selected.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Quote from Hannah Ooom, Ford Electric Vehicle Product Communications Manager, from this article (link below but not sure if it’s allowed):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/f-150-lightning-pro-sold-out/

“Lightning Pro trim is now sold out for retail customers for the 22MY. Pro is still available for fleet customers. Fleet customers can order any variation of the F-150 Lightning, if they have a valid FIN code.

The F-150 Lightning has a wide bandwidth of configurations to choose from. Due to high demand of the Pro trim, we currently have communicated that it is sold out rather than continue to take orders that will not be built in 22MY for our customers. As we monitor 22MY customer orders, we plan to communicate similarly specific trim, battery, or options that meet 22MY production capacity and allow our reservation holders to extend their reservation until the certain configuration is available in a subsequent model year.

Ford is offering an “Extend My Reservation” functionality so customers who wanted a sold-out trim can extend their reservation to be invited back to place their order when the configuration is available at a later date.”

EDIT: So reading between the lines here…
a) there is no supply chain constraint on the Pro because Ford is continuing to take orders from fleet customers; Ford is basically stating too many retail customers were ordering Pros so they stopped it.
b) it seems to be implied that if you extend your Pro reservation you will be invited to order a ‘23 based on time stamp.
c) Ford is limiting availability based on trim AND packages. So at some point XLTs will still be available but either the 311a or 312a packages will trigger an “extend your reservation” button if selected.
The only problem i find from her statement is that she says fleets can still order Pro, but there was a report somewhere on this forum that fleet orders will be delayed until 2023. So I think that what she is saying is that fleets can still put in orders, but won't get their Pro's until next year.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I just saw a Lightning in person at my local auto show and I loved the look of the front light. As someone who was hoping for a Pro but wasn't able to secure one due to a wave 2 order, knowing I get that front lighting makes up for it a little bit.

The Atlas Blue Platinum looked fantastic. Made me thinking about changing my color it looked so good.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I just saw a Lightning in person at my local auto show and I loved the look of the front light. As someone who was hoping for a Pro but wasn't able to secure one due to a wave 2 order, knowing I get that front lighting makes up for it a little bit.

The Atlas Blue Platinum looked fantastic. Made me thinking about changing my color it looked so good.
I’d love to have the front and rear light bars as that to me makes it stand out as the lightning, but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity for the Pro. Maybe some aftermarket shenanigans will take care of it lol.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'm glad I'm in a position that I could go up to the Lariat. Ford really put consumers in a tough spot with the XLT base. I have to think they were intentionally trying to restrict XLT orders. I think they could have added a few more pretty basic features and started it at $55k and it would have been a much easier decision for a lot of people (heated seats anyone?). It's just too stripped down for a $52k truck. TBH, the Lariat has the features I would expect in a $55k truck except...it's 70k or 80k with ER.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
I'm glad I'm in a position that I could go up to the Lariat. Ford really put consumers in a tough spot with the XLT base. I have to think they were intentionally trying to restrict XLT orders. I think they could have added a few more pretty basic features and started it at $55k and it would have been a much easier decision for a lot of people (heated seats anyone?). It's just too stripped down for a $52k truck. TBH, the Lariat has the features I would expect in a $55k truck except...it's 70k or 80k with ER.

100%. I'd probably pull the trigger right now for heated seats on the base XLT.
Sponsored