• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Add on trailer brake controller - possible for Lightning?

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I'm hoping to get a lightning with the max tow package (which doesn't include a trailer brake controller).

is it likely that i can add a plug in brake controller like i did with an older F150?
Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
They've had models that one connects to third brake light circuit for decades.

Might be possible to just add in the controller module from a wrecked older model. Seems to be same part for years.

Last edited:

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I would expect they will still have a plug under the dashboard. If it has a factory 7 pin connector this should case.

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
I am curious why you think the Max Trailer Tow Package wouldn't include the Trailer Brake Controller?

It seems it's part of the same package for the standard F-150 XL now on their site:
Ford F-150 Lightning Add on trailer brake controller - possible for Lightning? Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 5.28.07 PM

TacoTuesday

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning reserved
Yeah, I can't imagine the tow package not including a brake controller, but if for some odd reason it doesn't, I've been using the Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller with my BMW X3 for almost a year and I'm pretty happy with it. The device almost looks like a small scope you stick between the 7-pin connecter and the trailer. The companion app is pretty rough around the edges but it works well enough and I didn't have to mount anything inside the car. On top of that, it's really easy to swap between tow vehicles.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, I can't imagine the tow package not including a brake controller, but if for some odd reason it doesn't, I've been using the Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller with my BMW X3 for almost a year and I'm pretty happy with it. The device almost looks like a small scope you stick between the 7-pin connecter and the trailer. The companion app is pretty rough around the edges but it works well enough and I didn't have to mount anything inside the car. On top of that, it's really easy to swap between tow vehicles.
Brake controller is listed as part of Tow Tech package and not included in Max Tow.

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
Brake controller is listed as part of Tow Tech package and not included in Max Tow.
The max tow has no details, so I don’t think you can imply anything from Tech Tow inclusions to equal max tow exclusions.

I talked to my local dealer and he claimed the max tow did have it. I am going to maybe fool myself until I get it that it includes it, but if I am wrong all previous F150’s have the harness there so easy enough to add DIY.

pbd05

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 F150 XTR, '22 Lighting Lariat ER & SR
I've got the same question, don't really want to spend another $1k for the package since I only want the controller. I've added controllers to previous gen trucks and that was pretty strait forward. Once you have an integrated controller you don't really want to use the aftermarket ones.

On a side note, how are over the air updates going to work with changes made with Forscan (for example)? Maybe some of the 2021/22 guys have some experiences with that.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I would be willing to bet it is in the tow package.

Hirudin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lancer
On page 33 of the "eSourceBook" from 1/26/22 it says that the trailer brake controller is, indeed, included with the Max Tow Package.

I'd link to the PDF, but Ford apparently requested that it be taken down.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
On page 33 of the "eSourceBook" from 1/26/22 it says that the trailer brake controller is, indeed, included with the Max Tow Package.

I'd link to the PDF, but Ford apparently requested that it be taken down.

found it elsewhere. thanks!

pbd05

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 F150 XTR, '22 Lighting Lariat ER & SR
I guess I didn't have to buy the tow technology package after all, oh well.

$AMC$

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Bronco, 72Bronco, 77F-150
found it elsewhere. thanks!
Do you have the link? Just got my lariat w/max tow but no controller. Love to reference that it was included previously

OP
OP

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
sorry, don't remember. i think it was one of the ford PDFs

Yellow Buddy

Threads