• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adjust Steering Torque in Forscan?

sr3jan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
I've installed 22" wheels & tires, the same size that comes on the Platinum, on my Lariat. The result is that I get ping-pong steering when using BlueCruise at interstate speeds. The assumption is that this is caused by the increased torque required to control the slightly heavier wheels and tires. My question is, is this something that can be adjusted using Forecan? Is there a model setting - Lariat to Platinum - or some other setting that may address this issue?

TIA
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Are your rims offset?
Is the rubber the same size?

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Interesting. I've experienced ping-ponging before but I haven't been able to correlate it with anything and it always seems to go away on it's own.

I doubt there is a difference in steering torque between Platinum and Lariat trims. It's plausible but the electric motor that moves the wheels doesn't care if there's a slight difference in feel between wheels.

Is this repeatable behavior? If you slow down does the ping-ponging stop? Did you put on Platinum wheels or aftermarket wheels? The more information you give the more likely it is that someone knows something about what's happening.

OP
OP

sr3jan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
The wheels and tires are the same size and offset as the Platinum wheels. They are each 7 lbs heavier vs the oem combo on the Lariat. I also get the same range as quoted on the Platinum, which is less than the Lariat, because of the wheel/tire combo.

This behavior is repeatable. It happens any time I approach or exceed 75 mph; at 70 mph, it doesn't happen.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The wheels and tires are the same size and offset as the Platinum wheels. They are each 7 lbs heavier vs the oem combo on the Lariat. I also get the same range as quoted on the Platinum, which is less than the Lariat, because of the wheel/tire combo.

This behavior is repeatable. It happens any time I approach or exceed 75 mph; at 70 mph, it doesn't happen.
This is simple and common, my lane centering doesn't behaving as good over 75 either,, stop driving that fast with self driving features. If you want to drive fast do it yourself, it's safer anyway.

OP
OP

sr3jan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
This is a follow-up to my original post—it was about the truck. I recently replaced my '23 Lariat with a newer '23 Lariat. I swapped the same wheels and tires mentioned earlier onto this new truck, and WOW, BlueCruise is fantastic! It turns out there is something really wrong with my first Lightning—that ping-pong is not how BlueCruise is meant to operate. If you are experiencing ping-pong while using BlueCruise, you should take the truck in and have it looked at. By ping-pong, I mean that while using BlueCruise, the truck drifts to the left, then attempts to correct by swerving to the right, then over-corrects and swerves back to the left until the oscillation is too great to maintain the lane, and eventually, you either get scared and take over or BlueCruise cancels itself out. Hopefully this helps someone.
Sponsored