• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

All Season vs. All Terrain Tires

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I plan to drive almost entirely on paved roads and don't expect much snow where I live in Texas.
It will be forever etched in my mind when I got stuck on US-287 for 12 hours because of a snow storm just northwest of Wichita Falls. 12” of snow fell in an hour stopping almost every vehicle in its tracks. I also vividly remember a 4x4 F150 driving past everyone.

The F150L is a very expensive highway cruiser EV and it’s not very efficient. I’m buying my F150L so that I can go almost anywhere I want to go on or off road, good weather or bad. If all I wanted was a highway cruiser EV then I would have kept my 2019 Kia Niro EV and saved myself about $70k.
Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
then I would have kept my 2019 Kia Niro EV and saved myself about $70k.
I don't think I can haul the stuff I have in a 2019 Kia Niro EV! And a lot of places in Texas will be Kia Niro Huh?! I'll never forget driving west to grad school in the '60's in a Chevy Corvair. I pulled into a gas station somewhere in Montana and some fella said, "I always wanted to see one of those VW Beetles!"

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think I can haul the stuff I have in a 2019 Kia Niro EV! And a lot of places in Texas will be Kia Niro Huh?!
The Kia Niro EV is surprisingly roomy inside and has a payload capacity of 1060 lbs, only 240 lbs less than the Chevrolet Avalanche AND the upcoming Silverado EV. The longest EV trip I ever made in a single day in the Niro EV was 830 miles that included the leg between El Paso and Fort Worth.

There only a few areas in Texas I didn’t go in with my Niro EV plus my Niro EV drove through Louisiana. Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona. In three and a half years that I had the car I put 45k miles on it. There are reasons I got rid of the car but not being able to get around Texas was not one of them.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
There are reasons I got rid of the car but not being able to get around Texas was not one of them.
I'm suggesting that if I break down in the middle of nowhere somewhere in the West, I'm more likely to find a Ford dealer within hailing distance than a Kia dealer. I've scrimped all my life, now I'm 77, and I can't take my savings, etc., with me. I've always wanted to own a truck but was always deterred by gas guzzlers. So, now I'm just getting the Lightning as a fun toy in my latter years. Other folks may have different ways they like to spend their money; please do and stop trying to convince me that I should behave like you, since I've lived a whole different life and am ending it with a different set of values, undoubtedly. My neighbors have about $200K in ICE gas guzzlers and buy new ones frequently. They take very expensive vacations to the far reaches of the world. So in that context, spending $110K on an EV doesn't seem a mortal sin; it's just a few years of my neighbors' vacations, and it's just my sort of indulgence that I can easily afford.
Sponsored