• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out?

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Here is the thread.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...o-install-cross-climate-2-on-mme-gt-pe.22707/

Here is what is posted in the second post.

Theoretically, there is a chance that if the tire doesn't have a 116 load rating, Costco won't install them. Which is weird, because when you purchase them on the website, the tire they are selling you is rated at 115.

So, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

yeah I got turned down at Costco for winter tires that only had 115 load ratings.

They wouldn’t budge on it,

but then they found me a set that had 116 and it all worked out….

Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? 3FED40FB-E04C-488E-BF21-A692FD65884C
Sponsored

Fastmikerx7

First Name
FM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR
Occupation
.GOV
Last edited:

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
PJLightning,

Those are the tires I want for my Winter set.

I don't see them on Tirerack/Costco etc.

Where did they find the 116 load rating?

Also, what rims are those?

Thanks in advance for any help.

FM

Edit: Was able to go thru Michelin and found them for $297 ea.

https://tires.costco.com/SearchResu...uy&utm_term=michelin&vendor=&whs=110&zipcode=

yep- those are the ones.

they were awesome too. Great grip - HUGE improvement over the Grabber all seasons , and not much range loss , maybe 5%.

I did the whole package through Costco- me not being an expert at rims or tires, but the tires paired up well with the 18” rims they put them on, though the offset did have them poking out of the wheel wells more than I expected :

Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? 8ADC1653-E20E-41F7-80AF-0744BA1ADF29

Lavaorange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, Lightning Lariat
I have the non 'Rivian' version ordered in a LT275/75/18 to match the 20" stock height of my Lariat. I'm skeptical there is a big difference as they look the same exact tread. These are well reviewed, especially for wet performance and also for being quiet despite the aggressive pattern. I need some winter traction (mostly rains here in Vancouver) and snowflake rating for winter HWY laws but overall good wet performance is my goal. Decided to go 18" with new KMC Technic bronze
rims & sensors as well. Supposed to fit without any adjustments or spacers despite 18mm offset and 18x9 rim size.

Excited to get them on. Barring any issues, I'll post once they are mounted and give feedback.

Edit: QUESTION: Should I go with the white lettering or not?
Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? 1b8f7cd33b79c47e4c152fd2b2f3a997a4ba06f3674384a9f3d394943b54cb36
Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? Pirelli-ScorpionATPlus_lg_super

Last edited:

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
Edit: QUESTION: Should I go with the white lettering or not?
I can only say what I would do. Go black. Touch a curb lightly makes raised-white lettering look bad. One little mistake and you are seeing it every day for the rest of your tire's life.

That's me, up to you.

However, on my now gone Corvette, the white lettering was the only choice. It was a great look.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Thanks everyone. Another question, is there another metric I should be looking at besides weight when trying to find a tire that will not comprise range? I did watch Tom's video and TFL's videos they did comparing stock vs a more aggressive A/T tire. I want to avoid that kind of range lose if possible.

So far my findings are
BFG All Terrains KO2 55lbs No rating (8% decrease in range vs stock Generals per Tom)
Michelin Defender LTX M/S 42lbs 800AA
Goodyear Wrangler Territory HT 38lbs 680AB
Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast HT 48lbs 800AB
BFG Trail Terrain T/A 47lbs 660AA (13% more battery used vs stock Hankcooks on their loop per TFL)
Toyo Open Country HT-2 44lbs 740AB
Hanook Dynapro AT2 41lbs 440AA (Stock AT)
General Grabber HTS 60 34lbs 620AB (Stock AS)
Copper Discoverer AT3 4S 44lbs 620AB

At the moment leaning towards the Michelins due to similar weight as the stock Hankooks and I have used them on my previous F150.
What is the load rating (and speed rating) between the General Grabber and Michelin Defender tires?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Had new tires put on today. Was going to get the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, but the shop got the new Discoverer Road and Trail tires which are the replacement for the AT3 4S. Only had them for a short while and zi didn't get a chance to do a true back to back comparison, so this is just a subjective review.

Noise: couldn't notice any difference from the general grabbers

Comfort: slightly smoother ride and less bumpy than the grabbers.

Traction: able to hold a full launch, but I can spin them when punching it in a corner. Overall a little less in the dry than the grabbers, but they are also brand new and I need to wear them in a bit.

Efficiency: hard to tell with only a little over 30 miles on them, but it seems to be somewhere between 5 percent and 10 percent range hit.

Overall happy with them, but I definitely need more time on them.
Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? PXL_20231013_200539304.LONG_EXPOSURE-01.COVER
Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? PXL_20231013_200527682.MP

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
Will Costco install them? I've heard stories that the tire has to match the specs on the door jamb sticker or they won't install them. 20" stock Lightning tires have a 116 load raring, and the tires sold on the Costco site are only 115.

Screenshot_20230912_145915_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230912_150128_Chrome.jpg
i had costco install those michelins back in july 2022, neither costco nor their michelin folks had the truck in their system yet. there was a delay, the hangup was that there was no spec available on torque for wheel bolts yet and they would not install without confirmation.

eventually dealer told them 150 or whatever the ICE wheel bolts used was the same for lightning and they installed.

DrOctane

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger, MME GTPE
Occupation
Technical Instructor
Pirelli Scorpion 3 for me. Put 25000mo on General Grabbers in first 6 mo of 2023. Rain traction was adequate until the tires down to 4/32nds.

New Pirellis at 10000mi have no complaints . No hydroplaning and significantly better than the Generals. Canada in 5 degrees in January and south Florida in March with heavy rains no issues. Ride quality is superior, too.
On the farm in Virginia, it pulls the trailers through sand and wet ground effortlessly.

Battery cell 46 took a dump in September, awaiting replacement.

You don’t realize what a joy of the Lightning is until you’re in a Bronco Sport loaner. 😕

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Quick update on my Cooper Discoverer Road and Trail ATs. Had them for ~400 miles at this point and just did my first long(ish) highway trip on them, ~175mi round trip taking my daughter back to college. I was...underwhelmed. Average efficiency on the drive was between 1.5mi/kWh and 1.6mi/kWh. ~75mph on average / ~45F temps / remote start but no preconditioning. That was a bigger range hit than I was expecting. I am hoping it was a fluke and had to do with headwinds or something, but with it being a round trip, I mostly doubt that. Will definitely need another longer trip to get more data.

Overall efficiency over ~400mi (including the trip above) is 1.8mi/kWh as compared to 2.0mi/kWh for my lifetime average, so much closer to the 10% hit I was expecting.

Still very happy with the tires performance besides that. traction, comfort, and noise have all been great. Haven't had a chance to test them in anything worse than a heavy rain yet though.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
i had costco install those michelins back in july 2022, neither costco nor their michelin folks had the truck in their system yet. there was a delay, the hangup was that there was no spec available on torque for wheel bolts yet and they would not install without confirmation.

eventually dealer told them 150 or whatever the ICE wheel bolts used was the same for lightning and they installed.
How are the tires working out for you? Any decrease in efficiency?

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
How are the tires working out for you? Any decrease in efficiency?
they're pretty great, no complaints. smooth, super quiet and seem capable offroad. i take them out on fire access and logging roads all the time with no issues.

no noticeable drop in efficiency, maybe a tiny bit but i also have 2" level.

they look about as good as you can for road tires, but a little more aggressive look would be nice.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
they're pretty great, no complaints. smooth, super quiet and seem capable offroad. i take them out on fire access and logging roads all the time with no issues.

no noticeable drop in efficiency, maybe a tiny bit but i also have 2" level.

they look about as good as you can for road tires, but a little more aggressive look would be nice.
Thank you for the feedback. I think the Michelins will be my replacement tires when the time comes.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
The stock Generals are pretty good 3 season tires, but really not the best in winter conditions. Last winter my wife's Mach-e GT with stock all seasons (Continentals) was FAR better than my Lightning which just feels wrong. In NC, I am betting they would be good tires for you. Not sure how well they would preform in the sand though.

My stock generals are down to ~5/32 at just shy of 18k miles and I don't want to trust them through another winter so I am looking at a more aggressive tire. The Cooper AT3 4S is my current front runner with the BFG Trailterrain as the runner up. Trying to balance improved snow performance with range loss.
18" wheels are MUCH better for sand driving. My XLT with Michelin Primacy XC tires airs down really nicely and is a great sand driving truck- better than my last F150 Ecoboost. Miles per kWh goes down to 0.8 but that's not unexpected when driving 30mph on soft sand with 20 psi.
I've seen several Jeeps with big knobby tires just dig holes in the sand so that they sit down on the body- they probably didn't air down- but aggressive tread is not preferred for sand driving.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Look what popped up on the Costco website.

Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? Screenshot_20231023_143955_Costco

And they only weigh about 40 lbs.

Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? Screenshot_20231023_144846_Chrome
Sponsored

Last edited: