• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Android Auto

anewbe

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone else experiencing a disconnect of Android Auto when they pass by cell towers or microwave towers? It happens almost every time I pass a cell tower. I don't think it has anything to do with the Lightning as it also happened with my previous F150. It does not happen with my GM product.
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I've heard of this issue in several forums. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto are both subject to RF interference. It may not be the cell tower, there are plenty of other things that might be going haywire on just the right frequency near by. Nothing to really do about it other than avoid the area or switch to wired.

OP
OP

anewbe

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I've heard of this issue in several forums. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto are both subject to RF interference. It may not be the cell tower, there are plenty of other things that might be going haywire on just the right frequency near by. Nothing to really do about it other than avoid the area or switch to wired.
I completely understand that. That being said, why is it that only on Ford do I have that issue. A Yukon and Suburban do not.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
From a technical standpoint it could be any number of things. For a couple examples: Ford may prefer WiFi bands that have more interference in that area. Ford could have a weaker WiFi radio, or a less optimal location to maintain the required signal strength. Ford using an aluminum body vs what is likely steel in the Yukon and Suburban could also play a factor.

spadesaspade

First Name
Spadeit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning, Hyundai Sonata
I have this disconnection issue on my truck. It also happened on a GM crossover that I used as rental. I have not been able to figure out how to use wired connection for android auto on the lightning. On other vehicles, it's straight forward.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
For this and many other reasons, I only used wired connection to my truck via the USB cable.

sfringer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have this disconnection issue on my truck. It also happened on a GM crossover that I used as rental. I have not been able to figure out how to use wired connection for android auto on the lightning. On other vehicles, it's straight forward.
I just plug a USB-C cable into my Pixel 6 and into the USB-C port next to the wireless charging pad and Android Auto connects right up.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I just plug a USB-C cable into my Pixel 6 and into the USB-C port next to the wireless charging pad and Android Auto connects right up.
Ditto, I sometimes have to unplug and plug back in if it doesn't pick up after ~5sec.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ditto, I sometimes have to unplug and plug back in if it doesn't pick up after ~5sec.
The main issue I have is the map section of Android Auto appears in black; even unplugging and plugging back in won't bring it back. I have to do an APIM reset to get the handshake between AA and Sync to work correctly. Very weird, and happens a lot more than I care to admit, but whatever....easy enough fix.

spadesaspade

First Name
Spadeit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning, Hyundai Sonata
I've been using the USB C port inside the hand rest storage to keep the section clutter free of wires. Maybe it is for charging only. I will give this a shot and see if I still the the connection drop. Thanks.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I've been using the USB C port inside the hand rest storage to keep the section clutter free of wires. Maybe it is for charging only. I will give this a shot and see if I still the the connection drop. Thanks.
You need to use the ports forward of the cup holders

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
To get Android Auto to work on my wife's onePlus 8, I had to turn on and connect bluetooth, even when using wired Android Auto. It's weird. Wireless doesn't work because we use an adblocking VPN, so we stick to wired, but the fact that wired Auto still requires bluetooth seems strange.

Also had to manually update google play services, but that was a one time thing.
Sponsored