• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any info/resources on makeshift Camp Mode?

1375mlm

First Name
1375mlm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Maverick Lariat
I've been looking for a couple days on info on how to mimic "camp mode" like Tesla has, to sleep inside, since that's what I'd intend on using the lightning for. I've looked across forums and YouTube for a bit, but struggled to find concrete info on this. I've seen in the manual how you can disable 30 min auto-off, but will the truck shut off after a a few hours regardless?

Does anyone have any resources, have tried this, and/or have any concerns or tips? Intending on keeping it on all night sleeping inside regularly.
Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
The truck will stay on "indefinitely" (I haven't checked to see if it'll ever shut off, but it does stay on through the night).

My only concern would be the dash / main screen, it stays on with the truck, you can dim it but only so much and it's still fairly bright, so if you're a light sensitive sleeper I'd bring eye covers or some kind of cloth to cover the dash / screen.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
There is no camp mode, dog mode, or climate keep mode. Ford has not published or stated any intent to implement any of those features either. Maybe they will eventually, but there is no timeline and should be no expectations.

Your choices are turning on the truck, or turning off the truck. If you disable the automatic power down, the truck will stay on indefinitely. The whole truck is on, all systems, ready to drive. It's wasteful with so much extra stuff on that isn't needed, but there's no other options at this time.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I slept in my truck after a storm flipped my tent while camping last summer. No biggie, just turn off the power down timer as you noted.

turn off headlights, center infotainment screen, and dim driver display. A few extra steps but Not a huge Inconvenience and it works fine.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
My only concern would be the dash / main screen, it stays on with the truck
Can you not shut off the bigger infotainment screen completely? The smaller screen can be shut off. Unless you're referring to the driver dashboard, then yeah, you gotta throw a towel over that or something.

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you not shut off the bigger infotainment screen completely? The smaller screen can be shut off. Unless you're referring to the driver dashboard, then yeah, you gotta throw a towel over that or something.
you can "kind of power down" the center 15" infotainment so it is all black and displays only the time in white lettering. However, I do not believe it can be completely "powered off" so that the backlight is not still on. It is by no means too much light for me to be able to sleep but I guess could be bothersome for some. So yes, throwing a towel over that and the driver display would be the only means of eliminating the subtle glow all together.

The bigger issue is trying to figure out a way for 6' 1" human to contort ones body in a comfortable way to sleep!

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Besides the power-down timer which I expect I would use if I was plugged into shorepower, I thought of another one last week that I have not tested yet:

Could you pre-program 4 preconditioning times throughout the overnight period to at least get the temps back to comfortable levels? You wont have a constant temperature inside all night but at least it would take the edge off of the coldest/hottest temps that you would otherwise see.

To do this, how about setting the preconditioning times for the night period and then twice more in the early morning hours the next day. I put in some example times to show what I am talking about but adjust to your sleep time of course. Wont work perfectly but this might be the next best thing to leaving your truck on all night.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any info/resources on makeshift Camp Mode? 1708029190782

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
unless you are super tight on range, and you have no options to charge at any point I would not worry about it. Unless incredibly hot or incredibly cold, the energy used will be negligible. At least compared to the energy used to hurl an 8000 pound vehicle down the road!

if you did what you’re proposing, I would be worried about a number of things, including the interior alarm if you have one, I’m also not sure how the exterior lighting (headlight and welcome lighting) would react to that. I would definitely attempt some sort of test run at home if you really were gonna attemp that.
Sponsored