• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone do anything with the slots in the media bin?

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Yes, I need to dust the truck (Santa Anas really did a dusting this week). Anyone done anything cool with the slots in the media bin? I guess they used to hold a phone holder. Wonder if the creative 3d printing group had any good ideas? @BestEvMod , any ideas???
Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone do anything with the slots in the media bin? IMG_7084.JPG
Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Yes, I have seen 3D printed phone holders (Sorry not to provide any links).
my understanding is that those slots are for an ash-try insert for other markets outside of the Americas.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Last edited:

BestEvMod

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes, I need to dust the truck (Santa Anas really did a dusting this week). Anyone done anything cool with the slots in the media bin? I guess they used to hold a phone holder. Wonder if the creative 3d printing group had any good ideas? @BestEvMod , any ideas???
IMG_7084.JPG
May I know where exactly is here?

Sponsored

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
@sstevetx Nice find! I was thinking of printing something but was unsure of the taper in the slots. This helps.
@BestEvMod It is in the media bin (I think that is what it is called.
Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone do anything with the slots in the media bin? 1699202927736

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Was for a phone/business card holder in ICE F-150 that was obsoleted - likely when they added the wireless charger pad. See this thread.

EDIT: And before you say you want one, they're $200!
https://ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/ford-console-tray-ml3z15045g74ba?c=az0x

1699115904316.png

1699116254355.png
Yea I saw the $200 (even found one used for $40), but still don’t want it. Was thinking something more useful could go in there. Just don’t know what yet. Also since I’ve had my truck 16 months and just noticed the slots I figured I must have missed something in the forum 😂.

BestEvMod

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yea I saw the $200 (even found one used for $40), but still don’t want it. Was thinking something more useful could go in there. Just don’t know what yet. Also since I’ve had my truck 16 months and just noticed the slots I figured I must have missed something in the forum 😂.
no wonder they have a slot there

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For anyone curious, I printed one up the non-MagSafe version I linked to earlier. My truck is atlas blue which is why I used blue, but black or darker gray would look better. It holds my S23 Ultra with a UAG case with room to spare on the sides. Here are a few pictures of the front and back as well as it in the slot. You have to push it all the way to the bottom of the tray for the slots to lock it into place. The charging cable touches the bottom of the tray at that point and the phone is not touching the bottom of the tray. Seems like that would be hard on the charging port since it is taking the weight of the phone. If you try to slide it up higher then the tabs don't lock in place. It would be find if you don't plan on charging it while in the tray or if you had a 90 degree usb c cable.

For short trips I'll use the wireless charging pad and for longer ones I'll use the slot between the shifter and cupholders with the charger hard wired. I mention that because my phone gets so hot it has actually went into protection mode while wireless charging after prolonged use and using wireless Android Auto. I have all the updates, so not sure why it still does that sometimes unless its related to having it in the case. It doesn't even get warm when using wired android auto since it is not using all the wireless connections (wifi, gps, bluetooth) constantly.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone do anything with the slots in the media bin? 20231106_083041

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone do anything with the slots in the media bin? 20231106_083037

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone do anything with the slots in the media bin? 20231106_083014

Sponsored
OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
For anyone curious, I printed one up the non-MagSafe version I linked to earlier. My truck is atlas blue which is why I used blue, but black or darker gray would look better. It holds my S23 Ultra with a UAG case with room to spare on the sides. Here are a few pictures of the front and back as well as it in the slot. You have to push it all the way to the bottom of the tray for the slots to lock it into place. The charging cable touches the bottom of the tray at that point and the phone is not touching the bottom of the tray. Seems like that would be hard on the charging port since it is taking the weight of the phone. If you try to slide it up higher then the tabs don't lock in place. It would be find if you don't plan on charging it while in the tray or if you had a 90 degree usb c cable.

For short trips I'll use the wireless charging pad and for longer ones I'll use the slot between the shifter and cupholders with the charger hard wired. I mention that because my phone gets so hot it has actually went into protection mode while wireless charging after prolonged use and using wireless Android Auto. I have all the updates, so not sure why it still does that sometimes unless its related to having it in the case. It doesn't even get warm when using wired android auto since it is not using all the wireless connections (wifi, gps, bluetooth) constantly.

20231106_083041.jpg

20231106_083037.jpg

20231106_083014.jpg
Thanks for sharing! Clean print and a very clean truck. I'm embarrassed by all the dirt in mine now. The wireless charger in the truck leaves a lot to be desired. I have several phones and all get really hot on the charging pad and charge slow. The Tesla wireless charger is great and I have other ones (Anker) that work great too. Not sure if it's Qi charger or something else, but Ford should have tested this a bit more.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I mention that because my phone gets so hot it has actually went into protection mode while wireless charging after prolonged use and using wireless Android Auto. I have all the updates, so not sure why it still does that sometimes unless its related to having it in the case.
Thanks for sharing. Regarding the phone getting hot on the wireless pad, this is mentioned frequently especially for 22's. There was a WACM update (Wireless Accessory Charging Module) that you can only get via FDRS. You mentioned updates. Did you update the WACM module and if so did you notice if that helped the overheating issue?

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@bmwhitetx , I updated everything through FDRS a while back including that WACM update. It was working fine until a few weeks ago about 30 minutes into a drive, so I am not sure what was different on that particular trip. I suppose I could use a regular USB charger and do wireless Android auto to see if it heats up still with the charging pad out of the picture. I suspect it would not.
My last vehicle had wireless AA, but no wireless charging pad and the same phone did not overheat on it.