• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone pay over MSRP for the Lightning?

What did you pay?

• Total voters

bthomps10

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Architect
What is this "Window Etching" I keep hearing about? And Maintenance? What Maintenance could they have already charged you for?
Is the window etch a security thing? I had etching on my Lincoln and if the car got stolen they would be able to match the etching numbers if it was found or parted out.
Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
What is this "Window Etching" I keep hearing about? And Maintenance? What Maintenance could they have already charged you for?
The maintenance is a total mystery. You would assume that would be part of the $1695 destination charge.

As for window etching... I remember dealers inventing this sort of thing back in the 90s. Basically, they claimed that cars with the VIN number etched into the glass and on stickers on a bunch of other places were less likely to have their vehicles or their windows stolen.

The basic premise is that when a junkyard sells parts from a stolen car, any parts and windows that have the stolen VIN # on it would be a problem.

Apparently, some dealers still slip this sort of thing in.

Here's how one site describes it.

https://www.insider-car-buying-tips.com/car_window_etching.html

These sorts of hidden dealer things have been around forever... like undercoating, "PolyGlycoat", and Lojack that dealers would claim they couldn't remove from the price because they were "already installed".

Since a lot of vehicles have built-in GPS and Internet, Lojack is not as easy to push onto an unsuspecting buyer, but dealers love to tack on stuff to increase their bottom line.

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
I Did. 46 over.
Welp, looks like my 'markup' just became way less thanks to the price increases :) I already knew I wasn't going to get the tax rebate (since by the time I'd get one, the 7500 was going to expire, and I already wasn't going to be able to get the new one for various reasons), but the new $10k increase in price means at least I'd have to have paid $90k in 3 years to get it instead of $80k. So those 3 years now only cost me 36k instead of 46k :D

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
$46,000 US Dollars over!!!!!!o_O

Are you married? How do you sneak that one past the wife?
Yep, paid 126k on an 81k truck. I am married, got the wife's OK! I'm usually financially responsible and put a ton into retirement/college funds/etc, so this is my first "big silly purchase" in a while, and my first "less than 10 year old car" that I've ever had for myself.

This is basically my 'mid life crisis' (perhaps a little early, I'm 36...)vehicle :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Yep, paid 126k on an 81k truck. I am married, got the wife's OK! I'm usually financially responsible and put a ton into retirement/college funds/etc, so this is my first "big silly purchase" in a while, and my first "less than 10 year old car" that I've ever had for myself.

This is basically my 'mid life crisis' (perhaps a little early, I'm 36...)vehicle :)

Good for you. My wife would murder me for a 81k truck alone. She would hack me up into tiny pieces and put me in the frunk and set the truck on fire for 126k!

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Figured out on another vehicle that my dealer made about $800 for "charges" to process the title and registration. Expect to get the same charges when we complete the sale of the Lightning. That is more than attorneys charge.
Document fee: $599 ($249 clerical, $175 document delivery, $175 computer fee)--what is a computer fee, and why is it $175?

Registration and title were about $415, and checking the DMV charges, they were only $144.

Add on the $299 window etch fees, which says (optional), but I was not asked and it was charged, there was about $1200 in fluff charges.

Have no problem paying something reasonable to the dealer for doing title and registration. In NJ a new car owner cannot process a new car themselves. $900 is ridiculous to hit a customer for doing this.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER

Erich, I love this. It's something you wanted and something you now have . Out of curiosity, did you ever have a Lightning reservation? When did you hear about the Lightning and decided you wanted one?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I only placed order online, and it does not show ADM. Dealer never asked me to go to sign anything. Is that a good sign?

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
Occupation
Paint

“But babe, it’s a house generator and truck in one!” - Me, one year from now

Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma

Got any friends or coworkers that want a Pro? 😉

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
It's what dealerships add hoping you won't see it
Sponsored