• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

APIM/CarPlay issue

Bigwillokc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
Hello guys, been following the forum for a while but this is my first time posting. I’m about to pull my hair out and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that might help.

here’s the situation:
2021 F150 Lariat 502A with sync 4 12” screen.

literally everything on the unit works except for CarPlay. Regardless of cable or wireless, I get the exact same results, which are:
CarPlay connects and pairs just fine and then shows the screen where CarPlay should show, except it’s just a black screen. Audio works fine, phone calls work fine, pandora works fine. It even shows album artwork and song info. Navigation shows directions in my instrument cluster. Just no carplay screen.

here is what I have tried:
Reset phone (multiple times)
Reset the sync system (multiple times)
Removed battery for several minutes
Hard reset of sync system (multiple times)

I took the truck in to the dealer for the undercarriage recall and had them look at it. I mentioned the tsb about the sync connectivity issues and they told me they applied it but it didn’t fix the issue so they were going to replace the APIM. The problem is they are back ordered with no timeframe for arrival.

so since I had nothing else to lose, I purchased the vxnano and frds license and started updating!

at this point I actually have Apim updated to the latest and almost all of the available updates done except CCM since I read the vxnano bricks it.

so is there anyone with any other suggestions? Just seems so hard for me to believe everything else works fine except showing the CarPlay screen and That being caused by a faulty Apim.

I have attached pics for reference

Ford F-150 Lightning APIM/CarPlay issue EB0C79E3-06E2-467B-A805-F5A2165F88C0

Ford F-150 Lightning APIM/CarPlay issue 284A4A2A-757F-4A37-BCB1-FE7F0BFE53F8
Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
Eng
Have you been able to try and second phone or an iPAD, if you don't have one maybe you could borrow someone else's and try it wired. I'm with the dealer, the most likely solution is a new APIM. If a software update didn't fix it then it's most likely a hardware issue either with the phone or APIM.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Hello guys, been following the forum for a while but this is my first time posting. I’m about to pull my hair out and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that might help.

here’s the situation:

literally everything on the unit works except for CarPlay. Regardless of cable or wireless, I get the exact same results, which are:
CarPlay connects and pairs just fine and then shows the screen where CarPlay should show, except it’s just a black screen. Audio works fine, phone calls work fine, pandora works fine. It even shows album artwork and song info. Navigation shows directions in my instrument cluster. Just no carplay screen.

I took the truck in to the dealer for the undercarriage recall and had them look at it. I mentioned the tsb about the sync connectivity issues and they told me they applied it but it didn’t fix the issue so they were going to replace the APIM. The problem is they are back ordered with no timeframe for arrival.

so since I had nothing else to lose, I purchased the vxnano and frds license and started updating!

at this point I actually have Apim updated to the latest and almost all of the available updates done except CCM since I read the vxnano bricks it.

so is there anyone with any other suggestions? Just seems so hard for me to believe everything else works fine except showing the CarPlay screen and That being caused by a faulty Apim.

EB0C79E3-06E2-467B-A805-F5A2165F88C0.jpeg

284A4A2A-757F-4A37-BCB1-FE7F0BFE53F8.jpeg
I’m not sure if this is related, but one problem I see immediately is that your connected services are not active. If you look at the icon just to the left of the time, you’ll see two opposing vertical arrows. There should be a location carrot in addition to these arrows. The truck is not transmitting its location natively. Have you checked to make sure all of your connected services are on line?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I’m not sure if this is related, but one problem I see immediately is that your connected services are not active. If you look at the icon just to the left of the time, you’ll see two opposing vertical arrows. There should be a location carrot in addition to these arrows. The truck is not transmitting its location natively. Have you checked to make sure all of your connected services are on line?
Immediately what I noticed.

OP
OP

Bigwillokc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
That was just a timing thing. I had just updated the GWM and still had the usb stick in waiting for the all clear

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was just a timing thing. I had just updated the GWM and still had the usb stick in waiting for the all clear
CarPlay enabled on iPhone? Settings>General>CarPlay>Ford F-150>Enable CarPlay

OP
OP

Bigwillokc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
Yes CarPlay is enabled and I have tried another phone. One thing of note that I didn’t mention is this is a Canadian truck. Not sure if that has any impact or not

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes CarPlay is enabled and I have tried another phone. One thing of note that I didn’t mention is this is a Canadian truck. Not sure if that has any impact or not
If you had just updated the GWM, is it up and running now? Connected services icon looks right? Have you given all the necessary permissions in the connected services menu?

Do you have the same problem both wired and wirelessly?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

here’s the situation:

EB0C79E3-06E2-467B-A805-F5A2165F88C0.jpeg

284A4A2A-757F-4A37-BCB1-FE7F0BFE53F8.jpeg
Good morning! I would be happy to look into your F-150's CarPlay issues on my end. To get started, could you please send over the name/location of your purchasing Ford dealer and your F-150's VIN?

OP
OP

Bigwillokc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
If you had just updated the GWM, is it up and running now? Connected services icon looks right? Have you given all the necessary permissions in the connected services menu?

Do you have the same problem both wired and wirelessly?
yes it’s up and running now. Actually checked again this morning since my 2 day license for FDRS expires tonight and there was another Apim update so I’m applying that now. And yes the exact same behavior with wired vs wireless.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bigwillokc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
Good morning! I would be happy to look into your F-150's CarPlay issues on my end. To get started, could you please send over the name/location of your purchasing Ford dealer and your F-150's VIN?
I bought it used last month so unsure of the original Ford dealer but the vin is 1FTFW1E86MFA30281

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes it’s up and running now. Actually checked again this morning since my 2 day license for FDRS expires tonight and there was another Apim update so I’m applying that now. And yes the exact same behavior with wired vs wireless.
After the APIM updates, try doing a hard reboot and if that doesn’t work a hard reset. If you need to do the latter, you’ll also need to delete the pairing on the iPhone and start from scratch. That’s likely what Ford will tell you to do.

OP
OP

Bigwillokc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
Now i have hit another block. I ran the IPMA update not knowing that it was a bundle that included the CCM module, so now i have bricked that. I will have a Mongoose unit here tomorrow from Amazon to fix that per the forum post.

MY IPC is showing orange and the self test says 'initial configuration not completed'. There was an issue yesterday with the USB stick. How do i rerun that update since it is no longer showing as an available software update?

OP
OP

Bigwillokc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 502A
Now i have hit another block. I ran the IPMA update not knowing that it was a bundle that included the CCM module, so now i have bricked that. I will have a Mongoose unit here tomorrow from Amazon to fix that per the forum post.

MY IPC is showing orange and the self test says 'initial configuration not completed'. There was an issue yesterday with the USB stick. How do i rerun that update since it is no longer showing as an available software update?
actually i just figured this out by reloading with the asbuilt data

fordman2112

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Carbonized Gray, 5.0, 502A
Occupation
retired
Also , on your iphone in settings, go to cellular, and make sure music is turned on. My brother had this issue.
Sponsored