• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apple Maps EV routing - NACS?

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
It seems that Apple Maps auto populates J1772 and CCS1, but I can’t get it to realize I have a NACS adapter. Is this an option? I can select Tesla as a network but I think that will only give me magic docks.
Sponsored

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Database developer
I’m seeing the same thing. I expected NACS would be enabled in Apple maps as soon as I received the Tesla supercharger priority update, but that hasn’t happened.

Al_V

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I’m seeing the same thing. I expected NACS would be enabled in Apple maps as soon as I received the Tesla supercharger priority update, but that hasn’t happened.
I would say that this will require an apple update, and the Ford supercharger priority update won't help with apple maps.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Database developer
I would say that this will require an apple update, and the Ford supercharger priority update won't help with apple maps.
Maybe, except that AppleMaps is clearly getting the acceptable list of adapters from the vehicle...they're not just making that up. It would seem the Lightning needs to "push" that information to AppleMaps doesn't it? I don't know, but I don't think an Apple update will solve the issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly. Why not and when and who's responsible for the update? That's the discussion.
Bingo. NACS and Tesla are basically the same thing. Apple/Ford just needs to add “Tesla (adapter needed)” as an option into Apple Maps like they did on FordPass.

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Bingo. NACS and Tesla are basically the same thing. Apple/Ford just needs to add “Tesla (adapter needed)” as an option into Apple Maps like they did on FordPass.
Not quite
NACS is those tesla supercharging v3 station with CCS metering modules, it is more than the plug format, but also communication protocols.
Tesla plug is all tesla supercharging stations, including v2, and they are communicating with tesla own protocols.

if you are using ABRP, it has the correct definitions

overall, tesla is not NACS

Al_V

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe, except that AppleMaps is clearly getting the acceptable list of adapters from the vehicle...they're not just making that up. It would seem the Lightning needs to "push" that information to AppleMaps doesn't it? I don't know, but I don't think an Apple update will solve the issue.
You may be right, but I don't think so. I don't think Apple maps gets the route data from the truck, it gets it from the cloud (internet). If that were the case, Apple maps wouldn't work if your Ford navigation subscription was expired. So my guess is that the only thing Apple maps gets from the truck is the SOC and efficiency. Everything else is available from the internet, including traffic data and speed trap warnings, and of course charger locations.
I do agree that an Apple update could solve the issue, but not by getting more data from the truck.
Again, I am not claiming to "know," just expressing my opinion.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Database developer
You may be right, but I don't think so. I don't think Apple maps gets the route data from the truck, it gets it from the cloud (internet). If that were the case, Apple maps wouldn't work if your Ford navigation subscription was expired. So my guess is that the only thing Apple maps gets from the truck is the SOC and efficiency. Everything else is available from the internet, including traffic data and speed trap warnings, and of course charger locations.
I do agree that an Apple update could solve the issue, but not by getting more data from the truck.
Again, I am not claiming to "know," just expressing my opinion.
What? I'm quite certain I never implied that Apple Maps was getting route data from the truck, or even traffic data, speed trap warnings, charger locations - none of that. That's obviously coming from AppleMaps and the internet.

I'm talking about which connectors and chargers the truck is compatible with. THAT data (along battery status and maybe efficiency) must come from the truck. The problem right now is that that data does NOT include the NACS connector, so AppleMaps doesn't know it can route the truck to Superchargers that don't already have the magic dock. If you look at your truck in AppleMaps, you'll see only two connectors listed - J1772 and CCS1. That's it. Until that list adds "NACS" then AppleMaps will not route us to Supercharges that don't have the Magic Dock connector.

Soooo, I think the update must come from the FORD side, not the Apple side. Once Ford updates the list of connectors it is compatible with and then provides that data to AppleMaps via CarPlay, THEN AppleMaps can use its data to send us to Superchargers that don't have Magic Dock. Therefore I don't think this is an Apple update we're waiting for, but rather a Ford one.

And to complicate things further, it seems like this list needs to be user adjustable. There are people who don't have an adapter so they can use NACS at this point. And that may be what Ford is waiting for. If they update this list of usable connectors too soon, they run the risk of sending a person who doesn't own the adapter to a Tesla charger they cannot use. Based on how this list of adapters looks in Apple's interface, I don't think there's currently an interface in place to allow users to edit the acceptable list of connectors. Without that option, Ford is smart in not yet adding NACS to the list.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Al_V

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What? I'm quite certain I never implied that Apple Maps was getting route data from the truck, or even traffic data, speed trap warnings, charger locations - none of that. That's obviously coming from AppleMaps and the internet.

I'm talking about which connectors and chargers the truck is compatible with. THAT data (along with efficiency and/or battery status) must come from the truck. The problem right now is that that data does NOT include the NACS connector, so AppleMaps doesn't know it can route the truck to Superchargers that don't already have the magic dock. If you look at your truck in AppleMaps, you'll see only two connectors listed - J1772 and CCS1. That's it. Until that list adds "NACS" then AppleMaps will not route us to Supercharges that don't have the Magic Dock connector.

Soooo, I think the update must come from the FORD side, not the Apple side. Once Ford updates the list of connectors it is compatible with and then provides that data to AppleMaps via CarPlay, THEN AppleMaps can use its data to send us to Superchargers that don't have Magic Dock. Therefore I don't think this is an Apple update we're waiting for, but rather a Ford one.

And to complicate things further, it seems like this list needs to be user adjustable. There are people who don't have an adapter so they can use NACS at this point. And that may be what Ford is waiting for. If they update this list of usable connectors too soon, they run the risk of sending a person who doesn't own the adapter to a Tesla charger they cannot use.
I know you didn't suggest Apple was getting route data from the truck, I just don't share the opinion that Apple is getting the list of compatible adapters from the truck either. You tell Apple the make and model of your truck, that's all they need to know compatibility, which is basically EVERY ev charger that exists, except Rivian(for now), V2 Tesla superchargers (and Tesla destination chargers if you don't have that adapter).

OP
OP

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I'm talking about which connectors and chargers the truck is compatible with. THAT data (along battery status and maybe efficiency) must come from the truck. The problem right now is that that data does NOT include the NACS connector, so AppleMaps doesn't know it can route the truck to Superchargers that don't already have the magic dock. If you look at your truck in AppleMaps, you'll see only two connectors listed - J1772 and CCS1. That's it. Until that list adds "NACS" then AppleMaps will not route us to Supercharges that don't have the Magic Dock connector.

And to complicate things further, it seems like this list needs to be user adjustable. There are people who don't have an adapter so they can use NACS at this point. And that may be what Ford is waiting for. If they update this list of usable connectors too soon, they run the risk of sending a person who doesn't own the adapter to a Tesla charger they cannot use. Based on how this list of adapters looks in Apple's interface, I don't think there's currently an interface in place to allow users to edit the acceptable list of connectors. Without that option, Ford is smart in not yet adding NACS to the list.
I don’t think it’s that smart. Ford is only giving out adapters for free through June. After that, any new vehicles purchased will have the OPTION to purchase an adapter. There’s never going to be a day where every 2022-2024 has an adapter handy. IMO, they’re just slow on the uptake and they’ll end up doing it like both the FordPass and Tesla apps do by listing “Adapter needed” on each supercharger or something like that.

If Ford or Apple was smart, they’d add a checkbox for “I have an adapter” which then unlocks the option to route to superchargers. Oh, and they should also allow Apple Maps to activate preconditioning too. lol

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Database developer
I know you didn't suggest Apple was getting route data from the truck, I just don't share the opinion that Apple is getting the list of compatible adapters from the truck either. You tell Apple the make and model of your truck, that's all they need to know compatibility, which is basically EVERY ev charger that exists, except Rivian(for now), V2 Tesla superchargers (and Tesla destination chargers if you don't have that adapter).
My reasoning is that I don't believe Apple wants to be in the business of figuring out which charge ports work with which vehicles, and then keeping that list up to date. It is entirely possible that what you suggest is true - that Apple gets make/model and then looks that data up somewhere on the internet. That feels unlikely to me. It would seem like the best way to get that data from multiple vehicles would be from the vehicle itself. Your method is possible too though. In which case we'd be waiting for that list to get updated wherever it is and by whomever is the keeper of the data. That feels risky to me...again thinking of our Lightning case where some people are NACS compatible and some aren't. That's why neither of us are sure where this data comes from ultimately. The best option would be to have that list user editable, or at least allow us to uncheck existing options. That way if an option were added that we couldn't use there would be an easy way to fix it.

@Maineiac12 just said the last part. :)

Al_V

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My reasoning is that I don't believe Apple wants to be in the business of figuring out which charge ports work with which vehicles, and then keeping that list up to date. It is entirely possible that what you suggest is true - that Apple gets make/model and then looks that data up somewhere on the internet. That feels unlikely to me. It would seem like the best way to get that data from multiple vehicles would be from the vehicle itself. Your method is possible too though. In which case we'd be waiting for that list to get updated wherever it is and by whomever is the keeper of the data. That feels risky to me...again thinking of our Lightning case where some people are NACS compatible and some aren't. That's why neither of us are sure where this data comes from ultimately. The best option would be to have that list user editable, or at least allow us to uncheck existing options. That way if an option were added that we couldn't use there would be an easy way to fix it.

@Maineiac12 just said the last part. :)
Like on the Tesla app, which I recommend?
Ford F-150 Lightning Apple Maps EV routing - NACS? IMG_7744

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Database developer
Like on the Tesla app, which I recommend?
Sorta like that, yep. I was envisioning the same list we see in AppleMaps now, just with a check box next to each one so we can add/remove at will. Even better would be a "+" option, so we could add our own, but Apple rarely trusts users to make that kind of decision.

To be fair to Apple, this feature (routing EVs) is relatively new to AppleMaps. I'm guessing more user customization will come in future versions.
Sponsored