• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay Rolling out to F-150 Lightning

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi F-150 Lightning Owners! Love using Apple Maps? We are excited to share that you will soon be able to use Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay with your F-150 Lightning.

All F-150 Lightning owners will now have the option to use Apple Maps EV Routing to plan their next trip. In addition to Ford Power My Trip, Apple Maps EV Routing is another great option to input your destination and find charging stations along the way when connected to CarPlay.

It is super simple. Just enter your trip details into CarPlay. Apple Maps will then calculate the estimated state of charge you will have when you get to a destination. Apple Maps will route you to a charging station if it estimates that a charge is required. Here are additional details on how it works.

Friendly reminder to make sure you have Ford Automatic Updates turned ON and set a recurring schedule so that you can receive all of the latest Ford software updates that will enable you to experience features like Apple Maps EV Routing!

Please note, battery preconditioning is not available on Apple Maps EV Routing.

Ford F-150 Lightning Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay Rolling out to F-150 Lightning 1120231.PNG

Ford F-150 Lightning Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay Rolling out to F-150 Lightning 1120231.PNG
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Always right on time. Anyway, does this mean the 6.X series of SW is picking back up?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Great for apple fans, now get to work on Android Auto / Google Maps, and while you're in there make traction battery preconditioning work for charging destinations.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Great for apple fans, now get to work on Android Auto / Google Maps, and while you're in there make traction battery preconditioning work for charging destinations.
Yea I’m quite surprised they didn’t include battery conditioning with the feature. Poor implementation that you then need to switch to the ford nav to enable the preconditioning, all while driving……

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Thanks, this was available on the 6.3 update about 1 months ago.

What’s going on with 6.4?

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks, this was available on the 6.3 update about 1 months ago.

What’s going on with 6.4?
Slow down. There is a huge number of Lightnings that have not received any type of update. Ever. Let Ford focus on getting those vehicles updated.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Slow down. There is a huge number of Lightnings that have not received any type of update. Ever. Let Ford focus on getting those vehicles updated.
It’s not about the update. Hopefully you get an update soon… good luck…

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
How true... I am lucky to be in 6.x, but I didn't get any updates after 6.1.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
@Ford Motor Company

A well-intended recommendation ... you would garner much more positive customer satisfaction by focusing on owners successfully installing all of the previously released updates prior to announcing new ones. An new update is akin to pouring salt in an open wound for those who are many months behind on updates.

That said, here is an update that would trump all other updates ... update the 12 volt battery SOC issues so updates actually have a chance of installing.

Sponsored

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
Hi F-150 Lightning Owners! Love using Apple Maps? We are excited to share that you will soon be able to use Apple Maps EV Routing in CarPlay with your F-150 Lightning.

All F-150 Lightning owners will now have the option to use Apple Maps EV Routing to plan their next trip. In addition to Ford Power My Trip, Apple Maps EV Routing is another great option to input your destination and find charging stations along the way when connected to CarPlay.

It is super simple. Just enter your trip details into CarPlay. Apple Maps will then calculate the estimated state of charge you will have when you get to a destination. Apple Maps will route you to a charging station if it estimates that a charge is required. Here are additional details on how it works.

Friendly reminder to make sure you have Ford Automatic Updates turned ON and set a recurring schedule so that you can receive all of the latest Ford software updates that will enable you to experience features like Apple Maps EV Routing!

Please note, battery preconditioning is not available on Apple Maps EV Routing.

1120231.PNG

1120231.PNG
@Ford Motor Company PLEASE make OTAs and this capability available for Ligntnings with an AUG2023 Blend date

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
Friendly reminder to make sure you have Ford Automatic Updates turned ON and set a recurring schedule so that you can receive all of the latest
@Ford Motor Company I appreciate you posting about the upcoming release. And I know you are just one person representing the hard work of thousands to make the most out of our Ford Truck experience. So thank you.

Nevertheless, may I recommend you publish update targets. If it makes sense to publish when blend dates will become eligible (or whatever criteria clusters vehicles together for eligibility), that would go a very, very long way to temper expectations. The messaging above seems to indicate that all Lightnings will be eligible, but that has not been true as there remain many Lightnings that have not yet received any update. This led me to jump through hoops to troubleshoot what is wrong with our trucks. A simple... "Not yet, but here is the target date" would go a long way.

I know it is not identical, and in fact may be an order of magnitude larger in complexity, however, Samsung faces a similar public communications need when a new version of Android becomes available every late Summer. Samsung provides a release schedule across their product line to set customer expectations.

But for Lightning OTA? We have to piece together from non-authoritative sources and fill in the blanks with guesses.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
The silly thing is that after enabling this, I got in my ICE vehicle and did some navigating with Apple Maps (not even connected to CarPlay in that vehicle) and it still showed me estimated battery percentage on arrival and charger stations. You would think it would know what vehicle it's in based on connection through CarPlay, but I think this exposes that the battery data isn't even provided to the phone via the CarPlay connection, but OTA via Ford's servers, which sucks if you go out of reception (or start navigating in a different vehicle!). ABRP is still superior in that regard (aside from the frequent app crashing!).

The other issue (this one on Ford's side) is that it won't display your time of arrival anymore. I find that extremely useful. Another one that ABRP is better at.