• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Are Navigation/Maps updates included in OTA updates?

Alan Rovner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Hi all, several years ago I owned a Ford Fusion where every couple years I purchased navigation and map updates on a set of DVDs (maybe CDs I'm not sure). Will Ford include these updates to Lightning owners over the air as part of regularly scheduled updates?

Thanks for any info,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
According the Ford.com web site Sync 4 systems are updated via OTA.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Map/navigation updates are NOT part of Sync OTA updates and are done separately, likely because they are not free come from syncnavigation.com, via Ford's website.

When purchased, it can be sent to you (on USB), or you can download it yourself.

I have a 2017 Focus Electric and paid for a map update back in the spring of 2020 that cost US$109/CAD$159 for the download - to have it sent to you on a USB drive costs US$149. The download was about 14 GB and took about 90 minutes. The actual installation takes about an hour.

I was a little disappointed that some significant road changes that occurred six months earlier were not in the new data. I understand that there are over a million changes in North America every year and whatever you get will be not up to date, but over six months out of date seems a little unreasonable. The zip file in the package downloaded was nearly 14 GB. You have to copy it to a USB drive and plug it into your vehicle. I believe the process took an hour or two to complete.

Late last year, I found out that they now have two choices: the one-time update, or a five-year subscription that gets you one update per year. The five-year price is US$199 for the download or US$239 for it to be sent, plus US$40 to have it sent each year. I emailed Ford to find out if it was possible to pay the difference and receive four more years, but their response was that I should contact the dealer I purchased it from. Trouble is, I purchased it from Ford's website, not a dealership. What's up with that @Ford Motor Company?

Last edited:

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Sounds like after your trial period, if you don't continue to pay for connected services you will lose map updates. So just use navigation through carplay/Android auto

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Map/navigation updates are NOT part of Sync OTA updates and are done separately, likely because they are not free come from syncnavigation.com, via Ford's website.

When purchased, it can be sent to you (on USB), or you can download it yourself.

I have a 2017 Focus Electric and paid for a map update back in the spring of 2020 that cost US$109/CAD$159 for the download - to have it sent to you on a USB drive costs US$149. The download was about 14 GB and took about 90 minutes. The actual installation takes about an hour.

I was a little disappointed that some significant road changes that occurred six months earlier were not in the new data. I understand that there are over a million changes in North America every year and whatever you get will be not up to date, but over six months out of date seems a little unreasonable. The zip file in the package downloaded was nearly 14 GB. You have to copy it to a USB drive and plug it into your vehicle. I believe the process took an hour or two to complete.

Late last year, I found out that they now have two choices: the one-time update, or a five-year subscription that gets you one update per year. The five-year price is US$199 for the download or US$239 for it to be sent, plus US$40 to have it sent each year. I emailed Ford to find out if it was possible to pay the difference and receive four more years, but their response was that I should contact the dealer I purchased it from. Trouble is, I purchased it from Ford's website, not a dealership. What's up with that @Ford Motor Company?
Sync 4a map updates are only OTA I believe, and once a year as shown.

Sounds like after your trial period, if you don't continue to pay for connected services you will lose map updates. So just use navigation through carplay/Android auto
You have two levels of navigation. Connected navigation is by subscription, so when it runs out you won't get map updates. It is also likely you won't be able to p.an a trip with charging, since that comes off a database.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Hi all, several years ago I owned a Ford Fusion where every couple years I purchased navigation and map updates on a set of DVDs (maybe CDs I'm not sure). Will Ford include these updates to Lightning owners over the air as part of regularly scheduled updates?

Thanks for any info,
Alan Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.
Yes. Part of the Blue Cruise package. If you don't want Blue Cruise subscription the use Android or Apple. No worries, all work. Whatever you prefer.
Sponsored