• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Avalanche Lightning Arrived. It honestly just looks white.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Avalanche and Azure Grey Metallic are definitely my 2 favorites of any Lightning color (though I think the Red would look good against all the black on the Pro...has a little bit of a Raptor look).

I didn't want to pay extra for paint and went with Avalanche, no complaints at all.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I have a 23 Lightning Lariat in Avalance...I agree, was hoping the color would be a slightly darker grey. Its definitely a cool color though and its growing on me and I've received a lot of compliments on the color actually.

Curious why you decided to cancel the order if not the color?
What made you decide to pass after 1.5 years of waiting? My build week is this January 9th, and I also chose the Avalanche color.

Additionally, is it possible that this year's version of Avalanche is lighter than the version we saw in previous years?

I was a very very early reservation and expected to get a lightning early this year but didn't quite make the cut. Funny enough, our Bronco became available and we went through with that purchase. We need 6 seats in one of our cars, and so I can't really give up the family car and my wife is not OK with trading the bronco in for the Lighthing.

And with the price tax approaching $90,000 and interest rates being higher, I can't really justify adding a third vehicle at this point, even if it's an amazing truck I can power with the sun.

So I'm really disappointed, but I'm very happy to drive an effing-awesome Bronco, and our expedition is pretty great too.

It's too bad the Lightning doesn't come in a 6 seat option.

I waited and struggled with this decision for a long time. And I really don't feel comfortable trying to keep the lightning for a couple months and flipping it at this point. So I let it go.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
I was a very very early reservation and expected to get a lightning early this year but didn't quite make the cut. Funny enough, our Bronco became available and we went through with that purchase. We need 6 seats in one of our cars, and so I can't really give up the family car and my wife is not OK with trading the bronco in for the Lighthing.

And with the price tax approaching $90,000 and interest rates being higher, I can't really justify adding a third vehicle at this point, even if it's an amazing truck I can power with the sun.

So I'm really disappointed, but I'm very happy to drive an effing-awesome Bronco, and our expedition is pretty great too.

It's too bad the Lightning doesn't come in a 6 seat option.

I waited and struggled with this decision for a long time. And I really don't feel comfortable trying to keep the lightning for a couple months and flipping it at this point. So I let it go.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I asked because I also need to make a similar decision in the next couple months. In my case, I have two vehicles to choose between. The Lightning and a Rivian R1S. I know they are completely different, but I also can't justify a third vehicle and my wife refuses to give up our Tesla X Plaid. And as an all-EV family, I think owning a Tesla to road trip in is a wise choice. Their charging network is still massive leaps ahead of the competition.

I placed the Lightning reservation on Day 1, and placed the Rivian reservation a little more than a year ago. The Rivian is scheduled to deliver this summer. I've known this decision was coming for a while now, and figured the solution would present itself; but I am just as conflicted as ever. I also don't think it's realistic to keep the Lightning for only a few months and then try to sell it. If I proceed with the purchase, I plan on keeping it for at least a few years.

Anyway, thanks again for your perspective. I also wish the Avalanche color was more of a flat gray, but I think I would still choose the color if presented with the same options. Enjoy the Bronco -- my sister has one in Cyber Orange and it is awesome!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Additionally, is it possible that this year's version of Avalanche is lighter than the version we saw in previous years?
I believe it's the same paint code, so presumably it's the same.

Yes, here's an official Ford document showing it's paint code "DR" which is the same as it was for the Raptor and GT350.

Ford F-150 Lightning Avalanche Lightning Arrived.  It honestly just looks white. or-options-confirmed-two-finishes-deleted-194415_1

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I believe it's the same paint code, so presumably it's the same.

Yes, here's an official Ford document showing it's paint code "DR" which is the same as it was for the Raptor and GT350.

or-options-confirmed-two-finishes-deleted-194415_1.jpg
That's interesting. Thanks.
But take a look at this. One picture is from my reservation and one picture is from the F150 build and price tool right now. That is not close.

Ford F-150 Lightning Avalanche Lightning Arrived.  It honestly just looks white. F150 now.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Avalanche Lightning Arrived.  It honestly just looks white. Lightning Reservation.JPG

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
That's interesting. Thanks.
But take a look at this. One picture is from my reservation and one picture is from the F150 build and price tool right now. That is not close.

F150 now.JPG

Lightning Reservation.JPG
It is the same color as Blainestang mentioned. The paint code is the same and the color matches the previous versions of Avalanche. If Ford changed the shade they would also change the paint code.

Never trust online images. Color settings on phones/tablets/monitors are not always properly calibrated and shades of grey are a common color that gets messed up.

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
It is the same color as Blainestang mentioned. The paint code is the same and the color matches the previous versions of Avalanche. If Ford changed the shade they would also change the paint code.

Never trust online images. Color settings on phones/tablets/monitors are not always properly calibrated and shades of grey are a common color that gets messed up.
With all due respect, what are you talking about? These two images I just showed you are both on the same monitor with the same calibration. Maybe it looks different on your screen, but on mine, it's a totally different color. On the same screen on the same day.

And if you can't trust online images, it's kind of hard to order a color online. I even went around trying to find an ICE F150 in avalanche and couldn't find one. But I had to get my order in so I used the color on the screen. And today, I'm showing you what color showed up on my screen and what color it looks like now.

I just went back in to the lightning build tool. Here are the two pictures, one for the lightning in avalanche and one for the ICE in avalanche. This isn't about monitor calibration.

These are two different colors, whether they have the same code or not.

But the truck that showed up for me, is way more like the ICE picture.

Ford F-150 Lightning Avalanche Lightning Arrived.  It honestly just looks white. Avalanche Lightning.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Avalanche Lightning Arrived.  It honestly just looks white. F150 now.JPG

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
Another thing to look at: Here is an F150 lightning I just found online and a picture of the one I ordered. Doesn't it seem like there are two different colors of Avalanche given my post above and this one? I get there is a difference in lighting, but if you look at the order screens in my post above, there is a marked difference and that difference is similar in the actual photos as well.

And look, I'm not saying it's a bad color. But I am saying it's a brighter white than I expected based on the photographs.

Ford F-150 Lightning Avalanche Lightning Arrived.  It honestly just looks white. dsc0469-jpg-scaled

Ford F-150 Lightning Avalanche Lightning Arrived.  It honestly just looks white. IMG-6090 (1)

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Another thing to look at: Here is an F150 lightning I just found online and a picture of the one I ordered. Doesn't it seem like there are two different colors of Avalanche given my post above and this one? I get there is a difference in lightning, but if you look at the order screens in my post above, there is a marked difference and that difference is similar in the actual photos as well.

And look, I'm not saying it's a bad color. But I am saying it's a brighter white than I expected based on the photographs.

dsc0469-jpg-scaled.jpg

IMG-6090 (1).jpg
One of those 2 images you have posted, the top one, has been color corrected by the person taking the picture. To me my truck looks like the top photo, not your photo. That's why I'm saying don't trust photos people post online. Unless a photographer knows what they are doing, and applies color correction, odds are the picture won't represent a grey color properly.

Bottom line, the paint code is the same as previous versions of Avalanche and the Lightning's Avalanche color is the same as previous versions of Avalanche. Pictures of my Avalanche truck can show different shades of white and grey depending on lighting and camera. It's definitely a light matte grey and doesn't look like the standard white.

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
One of those 2 images you have posted, the top one. Has been color corrected by the person taking the picture. To me my truck looks like the top photo, not your photo. That's why I'm saying don't trust photos people post online. Unless a photographer knows what they are doing and applies color correction odds are the picture won't represent a grey color properly.

Bottom line, the paint code is the same as previous versions of Avalanche and the Lightning's Avalanche color is the same as previous versions of Avalanche. Pictures of my Avalanche truck can show different shades of white and grey depending on lighting and camera. It's definitely a light matte grey and doesn't look like the standard white.

Fine, whatever. What I'm saying is that the ICE render is way closer to how it looks in real life than the Lightning render. This is the same company on the same website on the same monitor on the same day. And the ICE "avalanche" color is a spot-on representation of how the truck actually looks, but the Lightning "avalanche" color is not. Do you see what I'm saying? I'm not trying to prove a color conspiracy here. I'm trying to say the online ordering has two different colors, whether the actual paint is different or not.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Fine, whatever. What I'm saying is that the ICE render is way closer to how it looks in real life than the Lightning render. This is the same company on the same website on the same monitor on the same day. And the ICE "avalanche" color is a spot-on representation of how the truck actually looks, but the Lightning "avalanche" color is not. Do you see what I'm saying? I'm not trying to prove a color conspiracy here. I'm trying to say the online ordering has two different colors, whether the actual paint is different or not.
My guess is Ford has the wrong image posted on the ICE paint selector. My Avalanche is spot on for the Lightning "Avalanche" color.

Don't know what else to say...

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
My guess is Ford has the wrong image posted on the ICE paint selector. My Avalanche is spot on for the Lightning "Avalanche" color.

Don't know what else to say...
It's kind of funny that you think one of the biggest car companies in the world has the wrong picture on their build and price tool, but you don't think it's possible a lighter shade of white was applied to my truck than yours because the same website has the color code the same.

The other day I saw a video of an F150 Tremor with Lariat badges on the outside and platinum badges on the inside.

None of this matters because I didn't buy it and someone is going to love that off white truck. It looks great. It just doesn't look like the same color as the avalanche raptor I saw yesterday.

But maybe I'm just confused. That absolutely is a possibility. I'm just saying there are a lot of things that corroborate that maybe there is some differentiation.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I never trust manufactures' photos or renderings to pick colors. The images and the actual color never look the same to me because all of the lightning and shading etc... I am one of those guys that have to see a color in person.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It's kind of funny that you think one of the biggest car companies in the world has the wrong picture on their build and price tool, but you don't think it's possible a lighter shade of white was applied to my truck than yours because the same website has the color code the same.
I dont think funny is the word I'd use. It wouldn't be the first time in the past year Ford has screwed up their build and price tool. The top picture looks like Oxford White to me.

Two users on this thread both say the bottom picture looks like our actual trucks. I can see we just won't see eye to eye on this one. Sorry that the truck didn't work out for you!
Sponsored