• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is it just me, or is driving in slush especially difficult?

alexose

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 C-Max, 1999 F150
I took my Pro up to the snow line today, and was surprised to find that the stock tires had just about zero traction on the heavy stuff. Fearing that I'd get stuck in about 6" of snow, I ended up backing up half a mile to a spot I could turn around. Beeping all the way, of course, to my embarrassment.

It may have just been the type of snow I was driving in, but is it possible that the weight of this truck makes it even harder to drive on slushy snow? Or am I just a dummy for not having the right tires for the conditions?
Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Which tires do you have?
The OEM Michelin Primacy XC's that come on the Pro are classified as "Highway All Season" tires. Not really an all-terrain or off-road tire, and certainly not going to compare to dedicated snow tires.
They get a lot of negative comments on tire review sites for mediocre performance in snow.
If you are doing any extended driving on snow-covered roads or places where getting stuck would be a big deal, you will want to consider some actual snow tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alexose

alexose

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 C-Max, 1999 F150
Which tires do you have?
Just the stock all-terrain tires. They did great in fresh snow-- Good enough that I guess they gave me false confidence. In the really heavy/wet snow, it felt like the physics of truck was working against me. As if the truck was compacting the snow into a slippery sheet.

I'm (clearly) not an expert off-roader, but I was surprised by just how deep of tracks I was leaving.

chrislittle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning Pro
I read similar poor reviews of the stock tires and put on Nokian winter tires. Everything I saw showed poor results in snow, slush etc.

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
6 in of unplowed snow is no joke. Wouldn’t expect to bomb through that on anything except maybe a parking lot
Had a 2010 wrangler that almost got stuck in that in fact in a parking lot. Stock Goodyears on that one
Sponsored