• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery not holding up?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Unless you are hotdogging it or towing you should not lose 70 miles in range in warm temperatures.
Except my morning drive is 72 miles and I ended up with 200 when I got to work…. So……
Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
248 miles at 82% means 302 miles when battery is full, that is not bad.

1.5 miles per kWh is way tooooo low, be frankly I don't understand how you can achieve that. local drive with one pedal I easily achieve more than 2.6 miles/kWh, mixed with 65 miles on freeway is 2.3 miles/kWh.

So I have an ER lariat. My battery has dropped 70 miles in range in a week. I don't do much highway driving maybe 15 mins every other day at 70 to 75, no hot dog driving, no towing ever, charge only with a normal 110 outlet in my insulated garage. I'm in CT and the temperature has been in the 70s to low 50s at night. My garage does not get much below 50 even in the dead of winter.

I charge to 90% like the manual says on a 110 outlet. I get in the truck after it's changed to 90% and it says I have 250 miles of range. I drive less then 2 miles and I'm down to 82% charge.

I should have 320 range at 100%. I understand losing some range. But 70 miles? I don't understand what going on? I also reset my EV driving and nothing changed.

20221004_164810.jpg

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Also, 110v charging will not precondition your battery so as soon as you start you are using battery power to get the battery warmed up
So it preconditions the inside but not the batteries?

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Looks normal to me. The 56f will do that.

These posts come every fall for every EV.

The next post will be, "My brakes are making a grinding noise and clunking, something is broken."

Both posts will end in March April. Every EV forum, without fail....

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
248 miles at 82% means 302 miles when battery is full, that is not bad.

1.5 miles per kWh is way tooooo low, be frankly I don't understand how you can achieve that. local drive with one pedal I easily achieve more than 2.6 miles/kWh, mixed with 65 miles on freeway is 2.3 miles/kWh.
Yes I agree, I was getting those kind of ranges but I'm the last day or so it fell off a cliff. That's why I posted here. Not sure if something is wrong or not.

Sponsored
OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I believe so. Which explains why your miles/kwh is so low
SO can I go out and start the truck leave it plugged in and let it precondition for a few mins before I leave?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
SO can I go out and start the truck leave it plugged in and let it precondition for a few mins before I leave?
Are you using remote start or departure time in Ford pass?

Remote start for sure doesn't warm the batteries. And I'm not certain departure time will have the desired impact on 110. I will check into that and get back to you.

Just starting it while plugged in should work but again, I'll verify if that's the case with 110

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning

Remote start for sure doesn't warm the batteries. And I'm not certain departure time will have the desired impact on 110. I will check into that and get back to you.

Just starting it while plugged in should work but again, I'll verify if that's the case with 110
Thank you for checking

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You can try, but it will pull battery power to do so. 110V charging doesn't have enough power to properly warm the battery. I believe the onboard heater is in the 6kW range and 110V only provides a little over 1kW after losses.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
67mph and the truck is set on "73* Auto", therefore trying to heat up the whole cabin that's cold-soaked from a night at 50*. Plus the battery is cold soaked, too, as someone else mentioned.

So, you're driving pretty fast (nothing crazy, but pretty fast) PLUS the truck is expending a bunch of energy trying to heat everything up during your short drive.

If you were driving 50 miles, the cabin would be warm after 5 miles and the battery would be warmed up, so then the mi/kWh will probably come back up to a normal number for that speed/temp.

I mean, there COULD be something wrong, but I'm betting it's just the short trips at sorta high speeds with LOTS of heating that's making your range seem worse than it would be if you actually needed to use all that range.

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
You can try, but it will pull battery power to do so. 110V charging doesn't have enough power to properly warm the battery. I believe the onboard heater is in the 6kW range and 110V only provides a little over 1kW after losses.
I'm waiting for my charge station pro to get hooked up so this won't be a problem then. I hope all you guys are right and it's just a matter of heating.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Yes I agree, I was getting those kind of ranges but I'm the last day or so it fell off a cliff. That's why I posted here. Not sure if something is wrong or not.
If your driving style did not change and it is not suddenly freezing cold, it is not normal to me...

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I told Admin to make a sticky or mandatory read. It would help with a lot of these questions getting ready to come up here in the next coming months. It never fails
Won't help. After 18 months, there are still people on MME forum asking if maybe they got a wrong battery installed.

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning

No remote start and did departure time once.
Sponsored