• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery not holding up?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I think the problem is that you’re assuming the GOM is giving you the actual range. What you’re seeing is a problem with Ford’s calculations not the actual battery capacity.
Sponsored

vsansal

First Name
Volkan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro, Tesla Model Y Performance
Anyone coming from driving a Tesla would take some time to adjust the range displayed on your vehicle. On a tesla, since it is based on the EPA constant, when you lose range it might mean your battery is degrading, needs to be calibrated or temperature related but mostly you don't want it to change. With GOM, it will keep changing so just ignore the change but perhaps enjoy a better calculated range. Personally I don't want to be given a higher unachievable range display vs something that is a lower number but accurate.

Sponsored
OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I think the cooler battery temperature is the culprit in my situation. Today's outside temperature was in the 70s and my range was looking like it was normal.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I'm waiting for my charge station pro to get hooked up so this won't be a problem then. I hope all you guys are right and it's just a matter of heating.
Oh yes you will see a difference when you set up your Power Pro Charger. Pulling 15amps from a 20amps/115v outlet is a lot different than pulling 65-70amp/240v line on a 100amp circuit. Then once you get the 80amp charger, you be trying to make it work with your apps, which up to this point hasn't worked for me yet.
Ford is working on it........slowly.
You need to get your consumption rate higher.
Mine is doing 2.5-2.9 and occasionally 3.2-3.5miles per kilowatt. I tow regularly and when I charge to 100%, outside temp of 70° on average, I get 325 and expecting 330 soon. I noticed also that your odometer has less than 2K. Put more miles on it and the truck will learn from your truck and vice versa. Also check in this forum, under the banner " first 150 miles of towing " where I detail all my experiences with towing a trailer and how the truck behaves and calculates range,
EVEN if you don't do any towing with the truck.
Don't get frustrated. Pay attention to the consumption rate and % of battery charge.
The truck will correct the range but it happens slowly. Try to stretch it's legs also. Traveling only 20-25 mile trips will affect the range calculations.
Take it for a longer trip or trips. I have 3.2K on mine with 1.5K towing and when I charge to 100%, I see consistently 315 or 319 and the last time I saw 325. Patience.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
it does sound like the way ford set up the calculation is off somehow. my kona EV with its 250 mile range jumped around but it seems more predictable then what ive read here with the lightning.

Last edited:

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you set a departure time with 110v charging, it will NOT precondition the battery. If it's cold, you'll see a quick range drop when you start driving and the vehicle gets very low miles per kWh.

If it's cold, i.e. 50 or lower, you'll see a quick range drop from what it was when you parked it at 70 the day prior.

If you remote start, on 110v, you'll see a hit to the battery.

110v can't keep up with the heater, and it won't heat the battery. Running the heater for 15 minutes during a remote start will be a noticeable battery hit.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
it does sound like the way ford set up the calculation is off somehow. my kona EV with its 250 mile range jumped around but it seems more predictable then what ive read here with the lightning.
I don’t think its off. It is more conservative at the high end down to about 80 miles of range or so and then it gets more and more accurate and firm close to the actual miles driven. Its one of the better ones out there, much better than the one we all like to make fun off. 😊

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Let the truck learn from your driving habits.
Put some miles to it and you get the numbers way up.
Ford F-150 Lightning Battery not holding up? Screenshot_20221014-050129

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Let the truck learn from your driving habits.
Put some miles to it and you get the numbers way up.
First statement is correct.

Second is not. Driving will yield a more accurate range, not a higher one. Lower for most. 2.56 miles per kWh is higher than most will get.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
First statement is correct.

Second is not. Driving will yield a more accurate range, not a higher one. Lower for most. 2.56 miles per kWh is higher than most will get.
Completely agreed. My lifetime average (after only ~700 miles to be fair) is between 2.0 and 2.1 mi/kWh. As we head into winter and I do a planned road trim in a few weeks, I expect it will continue to fall and level off around ~1.5 to 1.7 mi/kWh or about 190-220 miles at 100%.
Sponsored