• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

An EV Battery Issue Probably Not Anticipated

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The only actual evidence ever provided with any of these claims is that one, single, while Model X that was clearly NOT parked in a garage.

Let's see some evidence of it being a widespread issue, or even a minor issue.

My guess, it's blown WAY out of proportion so people can grandstand about EVs.

OP
OP
Firestop

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
The only actual evidence ever provided with any of these claims is that one, single, while Model X that was clearly NOT parked in a garage.

That was my initial thought when I saw it…it had a political agenda tone. That said, I know we have some smart people on this forum, along with some folks who were unfortunate to have experienced Ian.

As an retired firefighter, the article caught my eye and I was interested if the concern written about is warranted? BTW, I picked up on this “artical” via today’s NEMA SmartBrief daily emailed newsletter.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

I have similar thoughts. I haven't seen any numbers on this issue at all which tingles by BS detectors. That said, I am all for an engineering study of the concern and any design changes needed to better seal the batteries.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
That was my initial thought when I saw it…it had a political agenda tone. That said, I know we have some smart people on this forum, along with some folks who were unfortunate to have experienced Ian.

As an retired firefighter, the article caught my eye and I was interested if the concern written about is warranted? BTW, I picked up on this “artical” via today’s NEMA SmartBrief daily emailed newsletter.
Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing more of the theory and some stories of it actually happening, but I'm skeptical of the scope/frequency of the problem based on the distinct lack of evidence and letters to the Department of Transportation as if there aren't, oh, about a zillion things more important than this, even just regarding Ian.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Instead of flooded out situations, I'd worry more about serious collisions that would cause the batteries to catch fire by mere short-circuiting...

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
As a retired firefighter the EV fire issue is something I’m certainly interested in. To put it in perspective here is another issue.
https://www.firerescue1.com/vehicle...cles-at-texas-pumpkin-patch-Xntwy2Ohgl1WbVgN/
This last one isn't related to EVs. The article states the fire was started by a cigarette and then doesn't detail how many of those vehicles were EVs but there's nothing linking it to EV risks and I imagine many, if not all, of those 73 vehicles were ICE.

While fires are a legitimate concern, the issue with hurricanes and submerging EVs contributing to salt bridging within battery packs and starting lithium fires is esoteric, to say the least. The obvious solution is to not leave EVs submerged in salt water...

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Is this dude saying I should ignore the fact that ICE is 61 times more likely to catch on fire than BEV in a non flood situation and worry about which one is more likely catch on fire when there is plenty of water around?

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I think you missed the point of my post. I’m well aware that all these vehicles were probably ice vehicles.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
You are right. If one is to check the statistics of ice vehicle fires it’s pretty staggering.
The reality is that if you put enough energy in to move a heavy vehicle for miles you are always going to have a potential for a disaster. We have grown to accept it for ice vehicles.
Sponsored