• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best Color Match for Lariat’s Dark Wheels ?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I ordered the truck color I like best - Antimatter Blue, and honestly I like the Lariat wheel, but not with the AMB color combination. I've never bought after market wheels due to I just get cheap like that, but this might be one where I have to consider it down the road, as I'm just not quite sure I like this color combo.

The AMB just needs a little something to make it pop a little and this wheel is not it.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I absolutely love the lariat wheels. I hate the platinum wheels. So much machined metal looks dumb to me. I would have preferred the lariat wheels in 20" though. I am also coming for 20" inch black alloy on the fx4. So these type of wheels are always my preference. I prefer a sporty look.
The Lariat wheel is 20"

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I ordered the truck color I like best - Antimatter Blue, and honestly I like the Lariat wheel, but not with the AMB color combination. I've never bought after market wheels due to I just get cheap like that, but this might be one where I have to consider it down the road, as I'm just not quite sure I like this color combo.

The AMB just needs a little something to make it pop a little and this wheel is not it.
Powdercoating the wheels is an option. There are a lot of different colors and finishes with powdercoat and it is very durable. You could also spray them yourself. I've done that with 3 sets of wheels, though none were on a new or particularly valuable vehicle.

AMB is a fantastic color and would have been my choice on an ICE truck, but I agree that it does not really "pop" on the Lightning as is. I think it is due to lack of contrast with the trim and the wheels.

• Love
Reactions: GDN

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
It is more efficient to use regenerative braking primarily, when you can drive like that almost exclusively the rotors suffer. VW using drums on the rear is not a bad idea. At two years old the inside of the front rotors looked awful (outside was fine) and it almost failed inspection because of that. Adding a bit of friction brakes early will consume more pad and generate more dust, but will probably be better for overall longevity
I use 1 pedal driving all the time and rarely touch the brake pedal in my MME. Still have break dust on the wheels. It still generates dust. Pads look great after 20000+ miles so I'm not sure of the reason for the dust. Yes, the rotors do rust up a bit

Sponsored

fubar79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT ER
To each their own I guess...out of the three types of rims I've seen in promotional material, I prefer the Lariat rims. I believe my XLT ER comes with the 20" Lariat rims, and I will happily rock them with the Iced Blue Silver. They would look pretty slick on my current '17 F150 in Magnetic gray metallic as well.

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I absolutely love the lariat wheels. I hate the platinum wheels. So much machined metal looks dumb to me. I would have preferred the lariat wheels in 20" though. I am also coming for 20" inch black alloy on the fx4. So these type of wheels are always my preference. I prefer a sporty look.
I hear ya. It’s your flavor.

Maybe I’ll use these original Lariat rims for dedicated snow tires. Opposite of what I’d normally do…..but oh well.

Bright Crisp Clean Platinum style rims is my preference. Must be showing my age! I’m out of fashion. I always order bright clean body colors too: Iconic Silver , or Star White. And light interiors if available too.

I don’t get the whole dark styling fashion, but clearly I’m in the minority, it’s all the rage. Along with the pasty clay looking colors I see on so many cars now……looks like metallic paint is out, and so are shiny rims 🤔.

I wonder if Ford will ever make a 20” version of the 22” Platinum rims available for the masses. Or I’ll have to hunt down aftermarket rims that look close.

Shame, Ford did a nice job with the Platinum Rim design, but keeping it exclusive to Platinum forces this new dark rim styling on us all - at $80k you’d think they’d offer a more traditional look on the Lariat rims, even as a step up option, like the extra for the Star White Triple coat I paid for 😉

good news is: I take delivery 6/13 !

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Just wanna throw out there, anyone in CO that would prefer Pro wheels I’d be happy to trade em! 😃

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Ford F-150 Lightning Best Color Match for Lariat’s Dark Wheels ? 583CFA56-F382-4D9E-AFA6-D3425CB6849E

I had a hard time deciding too. I usually gravitate toward light colors. I wanted a little color with this truck, but didn’t want to go too dark. Ultimately settled on iconic silver. Thought this photo made the colors look good together.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
The dark rims on the Lariat are going to look like crap once I get 2 miles down our gravel road to the highway... Would have preferred the platinum style in an 18" or 20" as an option.

Sponsored

Dparke55

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Ext, Lightning Std, Mach Ex 4 Rt 1
Occupation
Manager
I actually ordered agate black. My first new black truck, usually a silver vehicle person. I thought that it was the best match to the rims. I am not in love with the Lariat rims, but I do not like the Platinum rims at all.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Agree - same here.
I would have preferred to choose between 18" and 20". Much prefer the 18" XLT rims w/ 35" tires IMO.

Ordered Lariat trim in ice blue silver and was thinking about the color combo.

Now it has "grown on me" and I don't mind as the brake dust won't show on these wheels.
I have found that as styles have changed - such as going from silver/gray alloy wheels to the silver alloys With black pockets that what seems hideous at first becomes normalized to the eye as you get used to it. I initially thought the silver/black combo was hideous on my cars - especially the S60. Now it looks just fine.

Just think back to when the Taurus and Sable first came out and how ugly a lot of us now older timers thought they were. How surprising to find out that almost every design studio bought one to design their sedans around.
Sponsored