• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Color Match bumper on Pro trim

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Oh I guess I sort of ignorantly thought that the black plastic material was a different material than the rest of the painted parts. If it’s just unpainted essentially, then what you’re saying makes sense!
Frequently, unpainted plastic might be different. Depending upon the OEM and the part, it might be smooth or textured. If textured, I suspect that you will need to order the smooth version and have it painted to your color if a pre painted part is not available.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mcalc55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro
Frequently, unpainted plastic might be different. Depending upon the OEM and the part, it might be smooth or textured. If textured, I suspect that you will need to order the smooth version and have it painted to your color if a pre painted part is not available.
Got it. So it sounds like I might have a discrepancy between the two materials and it might not look so great (especially the handles since they’re right up against the doors).

ice blue silver doesn’t help either since it’s a bespoke color and not on the ICE version. Will make prepainted parts tough to come by I bet

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Nope, almost always the same part. I have had many textured pieces painted. That is how they are designed. Ford would not add to its skus in this situation. Just take it to a good body shop. A couple hundred buck, you’re done. They love this kind of clean, simple work.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Nope, almost always the same part. I have had many textured pieces painted. That is how they are designed. Ford would not add to its skus in this situation. Just take it to a good body shop. A couple hundred buck, you’re done. They love this kind of clean, simple work.
This. Just because it’s textured doesn’t mean it doesn’t come out smooth. In extreme cases, a shop may need to sand something down, let the shop worry about that.

Take it to a shop that does Fords. Tell them you want your bumper, mirrors, door handles “body color matched”

It’s usually $2-300 for the bumper. $100/ea for door a handles and mirrors. We’re talking roughly $1000 or less to do it.

In the past it’s such a common and easy thing that if I had the vehicle in for something else (accident, body kit, etc) the shop usually offers to throw the small pieces in at no additional cost (handles, mirrors, small trim pieces)

Captain337

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning PRO
Re: paint-matched wrap, see https://www.colorxlabs.com/. I am also getting an IBS Pro and have had the same ideas. It’s my understanding that a good wrap installer will not warranty any wrap on unpainted surfaces (grille, mirror caps , & handles all seem to be black textured plastic). Those would likely be better served painted. I think the bumper portion is black painted steel which should be able to be wrapped just fine.

Uhh…

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Military
The lower vent portion is texturized plastic, but the bumper on the pro is actually metal with what feels like a rubberized black paint. So I imagine the paint could just be sandblasted off and repainted to match whatever color.
Sponsored