• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bluecruise tried to kill me!

OP
OP

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Not to take this into a Tesla thread, but it is either 12.3 or 12.4. My wife has the MY right now, but I will check when she gets home.

Also... BC != FSD. Completely different things. FSD is door to door where BC is mainly highways. I use BC all the time on the highways and LOVE it. I don't love it $800/year, but I do love it.

Jury is still out on FSD. Ask me in a month when my trial expires.
Sponsored

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT w/Max Tow and TT Packs
Just started the FSD trial on my Model 3. Generally impressive with 12.3.6. Drove about 1.5 hours with a mix of highway, suburban, and city driving. It did well most of the time. BUT it did enough stupid things to keep me from using it regularly. Twice, it slammed on the brakes so hard at a yellow light that if someone had been behind me, I would have been rear ended. The 2nd time ABS engaged it was so bad. It hits speed bumps at a speed that kills the suspension. And when it was getting off at a highway exit, it moved left instead of right for a second and then took a HARD right going across the exit lane and aiming off road. I had to grab the wheel to stop the car from going into the weeds at 60mph.
Call me crazy, but I would rather drive myself than babysit FSD waiting for it to do something stupid. It's gotten so good that it lulls you into a sense of "the car is driving itself" before it suddenly does something that would clearly cause an accident. Plus something as simple as a misting rain causes it to degrade its performance. It might work in places with no weather like LA or Arizona, but in the other 90% of the country, it is a nice party trick that is actually more stressful to use than to just drive using ADAS.
Elon is definitely not getting $8k for FSD from me. From what I've read, the conversion to buyers from the free trial is 2%. I really think Elon is overestimating how many people really want a self driving car.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
Elon is definitely not getting $8k for FSD from me. From what I've read, the conversion to buyers from the free trial is 2%. I really think Elon is overestimating how many people really want a self driving car.
I don't think he's overestimating how many people want a self-driving car, I think he's overestimating the ability of the cars that he is producing.
People want a car that can drive itself, they don't want to car that will randomly try to kill them multiple times a week.
Keep in mind that a car that works perfectly 99.9% of the time and only tried to kill you less than 0.1%, would still try to kill you multiple times per week. And no objective person has ever claimed that Tesla FSD is anywhere near 99.9% perfect.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Ok... BC didn't "really try to kill me, but it would have been bad if I wasn't paying attention. And yes... I know you are ALWAYS supposed to be paying attention... and I do.

Anyway...

Driving home today, I was headed north out of Vegas on the 95 in the carpool lane. The sun was on my left and cast a pretty dark shadow on the road with the shadow ending in the middle of my lane. BC was happy for 5-6 miles and then just starts heading left towards the barrier. It wasn't a super sharp turn to the left, but it was deliberate and not just a "drift out of the lane situation". I noticed it was happening and had my hands on the wheel, but I let it go a bit because I wanted to see if it corrected itself. It did not and I took over when about half into the shoulder.

BC is awesome most of the time. Not awesome enough for $800/year, but I still have another year on my free trial. Maybe Ford will lower their prices by then.

Apologies on the quality of the picture.

1715227658667-w6.png
Hello there, Chris! Are you still experiencing this concern? If so, I would like to look into it on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer.

OP
OP

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hello there, Chris! Are you still experiencing this concern? If so, I would like to look into it on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer.
I responded to your PM. BC really is good for what it is. Perfect, no... but much better for highway drives than not having it.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
I think I have some interesting perspective on this, I got my Tesla at the same time as the original version of Autopilot was released, and drove it for almost 9 years through near infinite software "upgrades" (and I use that term VERY loosely!), I also got to try multiple different hardware revisions through various Tesla loaners over that time, including Tesla FSD quite recently.

The way I describe it is that Autopilot was very confident, but not very competent, whereas Ford's system is very competent, but not very confident. What I mean is that the Tesla system doesn't nag you all that much, and it works on every road in every situation, but it randomly dives at parked cars/barricades/ditches, or slams on the brakes in the middle of the highway, etc. Whereas the Ford system only works in a few very limited locations, nags you CONSTANTLY to make sure you are actively paying attention, but it just works, smoothly and competently.
It shows a huge difference in mindset between the 2 companies.

Nothing will ever compare to Autopilot in 2015, it was completely hands free, had no restrictions on speed or location, and worked at least as well as anything Tesla has released since. As long as you were fully alert and ready to take over at all times (and you really do need to be that way on all of these systems), it was the absolute best driver aid I have ever used. That said, the 2015 version of Autopilot does not exist anymore. You can't get it, you can't try it, it's gone forever.

If I had to list my personal preferences (and this *IS* personal preference rather than objective measurement) I'd rank the systems I have tried in the following order, with my favourites first:
1) 2015 Tesla Autopilot
2) 2024 Tesla Autopilot on my 2014 car
3) Ford Co-Pilot360 with Bluecruise
4) 2024 Tesla Autopilot on new Tesla cars
5) Manual driving with no driver assistance whatsoever
6) Taxi
7) Public Transit
8) walking in a blizzard up hill both ways
32,768) Tesla FSD
(Yes, I really did find FSD to be THAT bad, it was just way too stressful waiting to see exactly when and where it would try to kill you on each drive, and to deal with all the other drivers honking and waving at you with only 1 finger raised)

That said, I'd absolutely love to try OpenPilot on a Comma 3x, and will likely do so at some point (though I may wait for the bluecruise trial to end), and see how that compares.
Sponsored