• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BlueCruise is going to hurt someone

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Until it is...
Seems more of a municipality problem then a ford problem.
Ford will figure it out - basically software will realize when a speed change will take place and start to slow down so it’s at speed once it gets there

instead of being frustrated , be amazed at what kind of technological age we are living in right now.

if everyone was like you worked in govt we would all be walking. technology and advancements take risk and figuring it out. Tesla gets sued all the time because you Have to have real life examples in order to fix. There have been several fatal accidents by Tesla cars and it’s part of advancing the technology.

your driving a truck without an engine that can basically be optimized over the air and can drive itself in some cases. Life is good. Be positive.
God forbid you could be hit by a truck they lost its disc breaks or blew out a tire. Do we shut down all brake and tire companies ?
Sponsored

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Ford will figure it out - basically software will realize when a speed change will take place and start to slow down so it’s at speed once it gets there

instead of being frustrated , be amazed at what kind of technological age we are living in right now.

if everyone was like you worked in govt we would all be walking. technology and advancements take risk and figuring it out. Tesla gets sued all the time because you Have to have real life examples in order to fix. There have been several fatal accidents by Tesla cars and it’s part of advancing the technology.

your driving a truck without an engine that can basically be optimized over the air and can drive itself in some cases. Life is good. Be positive.
God forbid you could be hit by a truck they lost its disc breaks or blew out a tire. Do we shut down all brake and tire companies ?
Honestly my main concern here is there is, to my knowledge, Zero official way to provide feed back, without complaining to the government which has been suggested. Heck, even Waze has the ability to hit a button and say "This is not right, a human needs to look at this" and a ticket is reported immediately with the relevant logs and details. I dont need a button, but an email address would be nice. Does such a thing exist?

I posted the thread as a warning to my fellow Lightning/Ford customers, and even mentioned @Ford Motor Company's official account in hopes of drawing attention to this concerning issue.

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
@neririn

i’m gonna think out loud here 🤔.
Gimme a minute 💭

rather than post your rant here.
how about writing a detailed latter to NHTSA & Ford corparate?

seems that might be more helpful.

example Tesla being investigated after 12 reports for steering problem.

gotta start somewhere, let it be you. Maybe you’ll stop some future accidents.
Report Sent to NHTSA. Still looking for the proper way to contact Ford. NHTSA will probably get their attention though.

I get it, my post was very "the sky is falling". I can admit that.

To your point, I do use tech in my truck because it is cool, and you are right, there are 400k plus ways to die every day. At it's core, I think my frustration with this and my other OTA rant is the appearance of lack of interest in feedback by Ford.

They just push these OTA's, with unhelpful descriptions like "Making things better!" I mean who determines better? Who determines change? I dont need to be on a customer experience board, but it would be nice to know there IS one, and better yet, one that we could provide feedback too.

As you say, it is an amazing world we live in with amazing tech. But as vehicles become more than just "Gas Go, Brake Stop" the potential ramifications of 'simple changes' grow exponentially.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Still looking for the proper way to contact Ford.
Have you tried the direct voice feedback to Ford through the truck? It would be a good start delivered directly to something somewhere at Ford until you get the official address to serve with written safety complaints.

BTW, one of those speed limit features turned itself back on by design after restarts in early software implementations. I don't remember the details. There were posts on here about it about a year ago, or so.

I run hot and cold on the speed limit sign recognition. I've been leaving it on simply because I drive with my thumb on – or real close to – the "Dump Button" (Cancel/Resume). It's not so good if you're cruise-controlling with 1PD on because abruptly cancelling cruise results in heavy regen. But, it saves a lot of drama to turn 1PD off ahead of time and just dump the cruise if it tries any shenanigans. That's why I wish there was a way to put a 1PD button on the top of the center screen to make it easier to turn off/on.

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I have to disagree with you Peter. This is not a municipality issue. It is a manufacturer issue.
Ford changed his settings, did not notify him of said changes. That would make ford liable.
Municipalities can not be expected to change their signage to accommodate the few autos that have this technology. Think of the cost, sir.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It is a manufacturer issue.
Ford changed his settings, did not notify him of said changes. That would make ford liable.
I think the issue is covered in the first paragraph of p. 292 of the 2022 Owner's Manual. Basically, if that's the CC mode they're driving in, traffic sign recognition is enabled. For the 2022 manual, it's pp. 291-296; 338-341. There was an issue on whether one of the similar features had to be turned off after each restart, by design.

INTELLIGENT ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL REQUIREMENTS
Traffic sign recognition must be enabled for intelligent adaptive cruise control to be active.

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Thanks! I didn't know that existed. i will absolutely use this.

I know it has been mentioned in this thread, but I am struggling to understand how is this a municipality issue?

it's not like the same as in the wrong place, I can readily promise that no one is driving on the freeway and confused if that sign is for the freeway.

Reactions: cal

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I know it has been mentioned in this thread, but I am struggling to understand how is this a municipality issue?
A fresnel lens on the sign might help minimize confusion by making it opaque at highway angles but visible at frontage road angles.

This technique is used on traffic lights that are in close proximity to each others but in line of sight of oncoming traffic.

IMHO, it's a matter of ~STATE~ regulations.

BTW, I have a couple of similar spots in Mass that trigger the speed reduction, hence like many others I've turned the feature off, I haven't driven my Lightning through those zones since the recent flurry of updates. So I went out and checked ..... it remains switched OFF, not understanding how yours got turned on!!

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I had a severe phantom braking event traveling on an Interstate at ~65 mph where my truck suddenly and severely braked to ~35 to 38 mph for no apparent reason (using speed limit signs in BlueCruise was turned off). Ford did respond to my complaint and notified the service manager at my dealer - but I never heard anything from the dealer. And haven't been by the same location yet to see if it happens again. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-braking-event-initiated-by-bluecruise.15789/. Basically, I don't trust BlueCruise and plan to always have my hands on the wheel and be ready to take full control of the vehicle.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
For those that pose solutions for signs off to the side of the road, you need to understand that the truck uses signs AND A DATABASE. It will react to the DATABASE if there is no sign.

Road next to my neighborhood was posted 50mph. They took down the signs and it became unposted 55mph. HERE database showed it as 25mph for close to a year. I sent in the correction, it took about 8 months to have it show up on the vehicle.

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
A fresnel lens on the sign might help minimize confusion by making it opaque at highway angles but visible at frontage road angles.

This technique is used on traffic lights that are in close proximity to each others but in line of sight of oncoming traffic.

IMHO, it's a matter of ~STATE~ regulations.

BTW, I have a couple of similar spots in Mass that trigger the speed reduction, hence like many others I've turned the feature off, I haven't driven my Lightning through those zones since the recent flurry of updates. So I went out and checked ..... it remains switched OFF, not understanding how yours got turned on!!
Just lucky I guess

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I like being able to glance and see what the last seen sign was, but I leave it at that and don't use intelligent cruise. I'm all up to date (as far as I know) on OTA's and it has not been reset on me. That's very curious, did you perhaps perform a sync reset to get an OTA to install?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think we are going thru similar changes and adaptations as many did when Cruise Control was first available in many cars... we were'nt used to that, we pushed the gas pedal ourselves, the whole way, without help... now we have a car that can 'power' itself to the limit that we have 'programmed' it to, although it has no way to 'know' if any car ahead is slower, or we are within the speed limit, etc... crazy times they were! Many a accident was attributed to the excuse "well, I had it on Cruise Control and it didn't STOP!"....
that's my 16 year old 'speeding ticket' excuse, anyway.... those early Cruise Controls didn't have a mechanism to control the 'downhill' increase in speed, and just kept going faster and faster... that's what the state tropper told me in 1980... : ) still, it's the only 'speeding' ticket I've yet ever received : )
Sponsored