• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can I run a generator in bed to charge vehicle battery while driving?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have a dual fuel generator Champion , it's very powerful, but I also can't recommend doing that even with a potent generator. Don't rush, give the car time to charge, I'm not sure, but it seems to me that using the car while charging can damage the accumulator
That wouldn't be nearly enough. You need something that can put out hundreds of amps at high voltage. The best bet would be a 3.5L ecoboost (or similar) connected to a DC generator that can push 400V at up to 1000A directly to the motors. Good luck fitting it all in the bed.
Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Even if you could charge while driving, a large enough generator to keep up with uphill towing is going to tax the payload weight and size limits of what the truck can carry. You are talking a 25-50kw generator. Do some searches on generators of that capacity.

WantALightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado & Audi Q5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
OK, after the jokes about "buy a hybrid"... Lets seriously look at some back of the napkin numbers on this topic for a permanently vehicle mounted Generator (maybe taking back the Frunk for a generator location).

First, Obviously Ford would need to enable charging while the vehicle is in motion, or let the generator output work in parallel with the battery invertor output to the motors or this discussion dies right there.

Yes, it's almost the same technology idea as a Chevy Volt. But the Volt's battery was too small as was the vehicle. Scale up the idea to F-150 size and I'd buy it right now. I have a Silverado in need of replacement; the standard battery would easily cover my daily driving. But I am not ready to try to road trip in a Lightning in rural Virginia.

A 20 kw Generac weighs just under 600 lbs which is slightly more than the weight difference of going from the 98 kWh battery to the 131 kWh battery. A liquid fueled model would likely be a similar weight + a small fuel tank and minus the metal enclosure (The frunk already provides that).

A 20 kW generator looks to cost about $ 6000. Battery upgrade price is hard to determine based on models available but appears to be around $ 15,000 so this option saves around $ 9000.

I believe the Level 2 factory charging limit on the Lightning is about 19kW, so running a 20kW generator at 80% capacity for continuous load you can get about 16kW out of it. Very few new special high voltage electronics required if this became an option.

If 2 miles / kwh is a conservative "mileage" estimate, that means for every hour the generator runs, you use 32 miles less of your battery range. Or if necessary, can add back 32 miles of range / hour to the batteries.

With an 100% charged, 240 mile battery at 65 mph you have about 3.5 hours of range. Add in the generator, you have an extra 3.5 hours * 32 miles range / hr = 112 miles added range or 352 miles. I believe that exceeds the claimed Ext range battery distance of 320 miles.

Similar logic works starting with a more typical 80% charged battery.

The generator should have a manual control option so the driver makes the decision if they need the range boost or not. If you know you are planning to travel farther than the battery can carry you on a charge, you start the generator at the beginning of the trip. If you are within battery range, don't choose to run the generator. If you find yourself low on charge, and no working charging station in range; start the generator, wait a few minutes to get a little extra range in the battery instead of calling AAA, then go find a charger.

If necessary you could run at "in town" speeds of 30 mph easily. At these lower speeds, the miles / kWh would be better so the vehicle could manage a little faster than 30 mph on the generator / battery combination to either finish your trip of find a working charger.

This option seems to be less expensive than an extended range battery, puts an end to Range Anxiety and is more versatile. As a bonus, it is the end of power outage issues even more so than the battery only version.

I've read about Ram's proposed range extender, but they appear to be going into overkill mode. The proposed 130 kW generator will run a medium sized supermarket.

My recommendation to Ford would be a true "range extender" as an option. Not 2 separate power plants each capable of running the vehicle in the worst case towing scenario. A true electric truck, that gets a little help when needed for the once a month, or unplanned trips that come up.

If the Power boost Hybrid 150 had a bigger battery with maybe 100 miles ideal range (60 real miles in bad weather) and included plug in charging options, that would also be worth considering. As is, the F-150 hybrid works well for contractor job power needs or tailgating; it helps a little in stop and go traffic, but really doesn't do much of anything for mileage.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
OK, after the jokes about "buy a hybrid"... Lets seriously look at some back of the napkin numbers on this topic for a permanently vehicle mounted Generator (maybe taking back the Frunk for a generator location).

First, Obviously Ford would need to enable charging while the vehicle is in motion, or let the generator output work in parallel with the battery invertor output to the motors or this discussion dies right there.

Yes, it's almost the same technology idea as a Chevy Volt. But the Volt's battery was too small as was the vehicle. Scale up the idea to F-150 size and I'd buy it right now. I have a Silverado in need of replacement; the standard battery would easily cover my daily driving. But I am not ready to try to road trip in a Lightning in rural Virginia.

A 20 kw Generac weighs just under 600 lbs which is slightly more than the weight difference of going from the 98 kWh battery to the 131 kWh battery. A liquid fueled model would likely be a similar weight + a small fuel tank and minus the metal enclosure (The frunk already provides that).

A 20 kW generator looks to cost about $ 6000. Battery upgrade price is hard to determine based on models available but appears to be around $ 15,000 so this option saves around $ 9000.

I believe the Level 2 factory charging limit on the Lightning is about 19kW, so running a 20kW generator at 80% capacity for continuous load you can get about 16kW out of it. Very few new special high voltage electronics required if this became an option.

If 2 miles / kwh is a conservative "mileage" estimate, that means for every hour the generator runs, you use 32 miles less of your battery range. Or if necessary, can add back 32 miles of range / hour to the batteries.

With an 100% charged, 240 mile battery at 65 mph you have about 3.5 hours of range. Add in the generator, you have an extra 3.5 hours * 32 miles range / hr = 112 miles added range or 352 miles. I believe that exceeds the claimed Ext range battery distance of 320 miles.

Similar logic works starting with a more typical 80% charged battery.

The generator should have a manual control option so the driver makes the decision if they need the range boost or not. If you know you are planning to travel farther than the battery can carry you on a charge, you start the generator at the beginning of the trip. If you are within battery range, don't choose to run the generator. If you find yourself low on charge, and no working charging station in range; start the generator, wait a few minutes to get a little extra range in the battery instead of calling AAA, then go find a charger.

If necessary you could run at "in town" speeds of 30 mph easily. At these lower speeds, the miles / kWh would be better so the vehicle could manage a little faster than 30 mph on the generator / battery combination to either finish your trip of find a working charger.

This option seems to be less expensive than an extended range battery, puts an end to Range Anxiety and is more versatile. As a bonus, it is the end of power outage issues even more so than the battery only version.

I've read about Ram's proposed range extender, but they appear to be going into overkill mode. The proposed 130 kW generator will run a medium sized supermarket.

My recommendation to Ford would be a true "range extender" as an option. Not 2 separate power plants each capable of running the vehicle in the worst case towing scenario. A true electric truck, that gets a little help when needed for the once a month, or unplanned trips that come up.

If the Power boost Hybrid 150 had a bigger battery with maybe 100 miles ideal range (60 real miles in bad weather) and included plug in charging options, that would also be worth considering. As is, the F-150 hybrid works well for contractor job power needs or tailgating; it helps a little in stop and go traffic, but really doesn't do much of anything for mileage.
Your low power generator seems to match the bmw i3 range extender. That car could run out of electricity and continue with gas. However it had issues with hills and highway speed under range extender operation.
The volt had a 1.4L gas engine that could power the vehicle when battery range was exhausted. It has a mountain mode that would retain an extra portion of the battery to allow highway speed in the hills. It had a 55kw generator and in some conditions it was inadequate. Gen2 volt had a bigger engine, so that it didn't have to run as hard (loud/high rev). A truck would need a much bigger/more powerful range extender, particularly for towing and highway speed in the hills. 130kE may be overkill by ram, but 20kW would be way too low. Ideally you would want to be able operate on range extender alone.

A 40 kWh battery with 25ish kWh useable that could deliver 50 miles EV range with a power boost drivetrain and AC charging could be great, though it would require a more powerful electric motor, though you may need more battery so that it does not discharge too quickly. PHEV batteries get worked hard relatively speaking due to how small they are in relation to how powerful the electric motors are (EV with 100kWh battery with 200kW (400hp) of motor power would be like a 10kWh battery phev with only 20kW of motor output).

Sponsored

WantALightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado & Audi Q5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for reading the "epistle" I wrote; but where I was going is the Generator option gives similar if not more range, at less cost, than the larger battery. It also provides the owner with more options.

I wasn't going for the ability to drive off the generator output except at reduced speeds in a real pinch. My intent was extended range and the ability to self rescue.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
The concept is nothing new, diesel- electric trains have been in use for decades, the diesel power plant on these only powers the generator.
it’s a great concept for a truck. The Ram brings this approach to their truck, and the market gets a new approach with a competitive EV concept

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
The concept is nothing new, diesel- electric trains have been in use for decades, the diesel power plant on these only powers the generator.
it’s a great concept for a truck. The Ram brings this approach to their truck, and the market gets a new approach with a competitive EV concept
I'm skeptical about pricing and features of EV trucks that are currently in a "concept" status....which is to say, I'll believe it when I see it.