• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Assist - overhyped or does it work?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Seems the word is out on this today. First I've heard of it, I've not had it to test. What can you tell us about it? Does it work? Seems Farley had it on his drive a few weeks back.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Yes it works well with non EA chargers and unifies the public chargers near you.

Locates them, shows distance, number of available chargers, and cost.

Unfortunately when I tested it against EVGo (my favorite DCFC), the rate was different than the tiered rate that I normally get.

Tried it 2 times at EVGo - charged using Ford Charge Assist both time charged full price (peak time) even when it was not peak times.

Confirmed when I unplugged at 90% and then reconnected without using Ford Charge Assist.
When using EVGo's prevailing rate (one of three), it correctly charged using the proper rate.

This is something I sent to feedback = hoping it gets fixed.

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Yes it works well with non EA chargers and unfies the public chargers near you.

Unfortunately when I tested it against EVGo (my favorite DCFC), the rate was different than the tiered rate that I normally get.

Tried it 2 times at EVGo - charged using Ford Charge Assist both time charged full price (peak time) even when it was not peak times.

Confirmed when I unplugged at 90% and then reconnected without using Ford Charge Assist.
When using EVGo's prevailing rate (one of three), it correctly charged using the proper rate.

I concur with this. I've been testing this in my Pro and have submitted feedback. Overall it is a huge step forward as far as connectivity and DCFC networks go.

It does work and does a pretty good job unifying all the separate networks into an easy (well, easier at least) to use HMI.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I concur with this. I've been testing this in my Pro and have submitted feedback. Overall it is a huge step forward as far as connectivity and DCFC networks go.

It does work and does a pretty good job unifying all the separate networks into an easy (well, easier at least) to use HMI.
Which network did you try ?

EA, EVGo, Shell, Chargepoint ?

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So do you enter payment information in the truck or in your app? I think what I heard was it will show all the available chargers, how many stations are working, how many are free, and you pull up and plug in to charge. Does the payment work well without having to do anything at the station to specifically activate it?

Anyone know if Francis Charging is included?

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Which network did you try ?

EA, EVGo, Shell, Chargepoint ?
EA, EVGo and Chargepoint.

All worked as intended.

I can't compare what I previously paid at EVGo as I hadn't used EVGo previous to the beta.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
My beef with it is you cant use it while driving, it's not in the NAV system as it is its own App.

It should be integrated into the NAV, maybe it's changed since I last used it.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
Since the confidentiality period is lifted on this, I can say that it definitely works.

I see this product as something not for the forum people, but for the more mainstream user that isn't going to research tiers for pricing or discounts or wants to use A Better Route Planner to calculate multiple options for charging during a road trip.

It worked perfectly for me with EVGO, EA , and correctly finds Tesla stations that have magic dock.

It's "charging for dummies" or "charging for the rest of us" or charging for fleet drivers that have no vested interest in learning all of the granular stuff we've learned like charging curves or pass plus pricing . It also brings ford a small step closer to a Tesla like charging experience.

As EV adoption moves from early adopters like us to the mainstream masses, advances like this will benefit the next generation of EV drivers.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
My beef with it is you cant use it while driving, it's not in the NAV system as it is its own App.

It should be integrated into the NAV, maybe it's changed since I last used it.
I would have to say what is the point if it isn't built into Navigation. I'll learn more as we go I guess.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I would have to say what is the point if it isn't built into Navigation. I'll learn more as we go I guess.
That was exactly my feedback……

You also have to go digging for it and it’s not readily accessible. But this is something that could be fixed by allowing us to configure what we want on the main screen

But the most annoying part is having to stop to actually use it. It doesn’t make sense to me.

Other than that

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thread reopened for conversation now that it's clear the feature has been released to all trucks.
Note there is another thread started 9/27 as well.

Reactions: GDN

briankwest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting, 2023 Mustang Mach-e GTPE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes it works well with non EA chargers and unifies the public chargers near you.

I suspect this may change soon, I've submitted a request to get clarification on this topic, They did confirm at least on EA you should be getting pass+ rates via FordPass, but I will need to double check this once I'm out of my free kWh

/b
Sponsored