• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Clanking noise on driver side after rough country leveling kit

Brandonhatch

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Ford F-150 Lightning Clanking noise on driver side after rough country leveling kit F3B20F39-B529-484C-B84A-A91A26226975

Just installed (me and my buddy) the 2 inch rough country leveling kit. I think it looks great. It is definitely a stiffer ride (so don’t believe claims of OEM ride). I took it the next day to get an alignment. I have been having a clunking sound on the front left, especially over bumps. I had the guys make sure everything was tight when they were doing the alignment. Any ideas on what could be causing this? From what I can tell, the sway bar (most common culprit for this type of noise) is tight.
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I didn’t do the Rough Country but I assume it’s the same thing as the Ready Lift spacer. No clunking noise here but it did take a 3rd alignment shop to actually get it aligned. Even a dealer couldn’t do it. Pretty embarrassing.

OP
OP

Brandonhatch

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yeah. My shop had to do it twice.
I think it’s the same. How’s the ride? I assume it’s also rougher/stiffer?

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Not to hibachi the thread but have you guys noticed that the rear wheels have a pretty good camber from the factory? My alignment shop said that they inspected the rear and found adjustments for rear tow but zero for camber?

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Yeah. My shop had to do it twice.
I think it’s the same. How’s the ride? I assume it’s also rougher/stiffer?
Yah it’s a little rougher which I’m happy about. I didn’t like the front floating like a 70’s caddy or Buick. Still has a little bounce but it feels much more like a truck. You feel any shimmy from the drive shafts? I can almost feel a light shudder occasionally at 52mph ish but it could be me running all over the lines and my wheel shaking a lot 😂.

My last alignment guy said the back needed some Tow adjustment so they fixed it up. It sure an out camber but they did have to remove the skid plate dealy to get to the tow adjustments.

Sponsored

sr3jan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
F3B20F39-B529-484C-B84A-A91A26226975.jpeg

Just installed (me and my buddy) the 2 inch rough country leveling kit. I think it looks great. It is definitely a stiffer ride (so don’t believe claims of OEM ride). I took it the next day to get an alignment. I have been having a clunking sound on the front left, especially over bumps. I had the guys make sure everything was tight when they were doing the alignment. Any ideas on what could be causing this? From what I can tell, the sway bar (most common culprit for this type of noise) is tight.
Did you ever solve this noise? I have the same issue and it’s driving me crazy. I took it all apart and redid it and it still makes the noise. Only when turning though.

SinisterEV

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
We had the same issue after the RC kit was installed. The spring was hitting the RC upper control arm at a specific flex. You should be good to go with a little grinding of the contact point. This was one of the many reasons we set off to design a better riding and fitting kit ourselves. Stay tuned.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
We had the same issue after the RC kit was installed. The spring was hitting the RC upper control arm at a specific flex. You should be good to go with a little grinding of the contact point. This was one of the many reasons we set off to design a better riding and fitting kit ourselves. Stay tuned.
You are working on a better lift for the lightning?! Please post more teasers on your blue Lightning’s thread!

sr3jan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
Follow up here on my issue - it was unrelated to the lift. The issue was with the power steps I installed where the motor was rubbing on a bracket on the frame. Once I trimmed that bracket back, the sound stopped.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
F3B20F39-B529-484C-B84A-A91A26226975.jpeg

What size wheels and tires are you running?
Sponsored