• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

does the battery charge decline any in long-term parking- like 6+ days?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
OP isn't talking about degradation but more vampire drain.

How much usually depends on the car. A Tesla utilizes a lot of other things while the car is idle.

- Internet connectivity
- Sentry Mode
- Battery temperature maintenance
- Interior climate protection

Even more so these days than in the past. 6 Years ago, my car could go 2 weeks sitting idle and still get me home from the airport. Today, it lasts about 3 days before sentry mode, battery conditioning, and cabin temperature controls drains my battery. So I have to go hunting for a shady area to park and hopefully a 120v/15a outlet to trickle charge while I'm away.

How much the F-150 will drain will be dependent on what Ford has it utilizing while it's "off".
This is all correct. These are connected cars. The folks above saying that vampire drain isn't an issue because the battery is huge apparently don't own an EV.

The answer to this question depends on your settings. In a Tesla, if you leave "Sentry Mode" on, which is its four-camera dashcam system, the car never allows itself to go into either of its two sleep modes. Most EVs and some hybrids have at least three "off" modes. Tesla has three. One, normal car off. Second, "Sleep". Third, "Deep Sleep." When leaving at a long term parking airport spot, I turn on "deep sleep" capability and turn off "Sentry Mode". This defeats a great security function, and allows all connectivity to turn off.

I am currently in the pacific northwest. My Powerboost F-150 is parked in Delray Beach, Florida, and has been there for over two weeks unattended. It put itself into "Deep Sleep" according to my FordPass app because it was left alone for so long. Ford does this to stop vampire drain on the HV battery and the TWO 12-volt batteries in that truck. So I have no ability to "see" that truck right now. The app tells me the only way to reactivate the truck is t physically turn it on. That's pretty strange - with Teslas you can "wake" them using the phone app, so it must maintain some minimum level of connectivity.

My Tesla is also parked in Delray Beach, plugged into the wall, and I left Sentry Mode on because the car is parked in a garage that has active Amazon Key Delivery, where Amazon opens the garage door and places packages inside, and closes the door while we are away. I like the car being on "watch." HOWEVER, the vampire drain for a Tesla MX in active "off" mode without being able to sleep or deep sleep is SIX miles per day. Some owners report nine miles per day vampire drain when using Sentry Mode. That's 2-3% per day. Tesla, and we must assume Ford, has an auto-switch to preserve battery, wherein when the battery level drops below a threshold, say 20%, it would activate deep sleep and turn off all communications/sentries.

I did have one situation in early Tesla ownership, where I returned from a two-week trip to find my MS unable to move in an airport lot, had to flatbed it to the nearest Level 2 charger for a five-hour charge. This was before Tesla's cameras and sentry mode existed, but there was a deep sleep option that disconnected the car from connectivity, and I had failed to activate that. Tesla paid for the tow, but told me it was my fault for not activating deep sleep.

EVs require intelligent ownership. We all blunder regularly, and owning a series of EVs has been humbling from time to time.
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Assuming a consistent (summer/winter) yes.

There’s workarounds - including logging into my app every morning to turn off the preconditioning.

It’s much easier to just not take that car to the airport than to find myself in a oh $hit situation.

I’ve personally grown tired of the company. 6 years, 3 cars and over 200,000 miles total on them. We still have one last car because of the supercharging network, but I look forward to having a much dumber Ford Lightning instead of fighting with Tesla or my own car anymore. .
You definitely do not need to have preconditioning on. You can also set it for deep sleep and turn off connectivity/sentry mode.