• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

does the battery charge decline any in long-term parking- like 6+ days?

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I go camping at least once a year for a week or more away from the vehicle, and my current vehicle sits there with half a tank of gas with no issues. Do EVs lose any significant charge while sitting long-term? I can probably find a way to bring an extension cord and trickle charge at level 1 for the week, but if that's not possible should I plan on driving to a charger mid week to top off?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I go camping at least once a year for a week or more away from the vehicle, and my current vehicle sits there with half a tank of gas with no issues. Do EVs lose any significant charge while sitting long-term? I can probably find a way to bring an extension cord and trickle charge at level 1 for the week, but if that's not possible should I plan on driving to a charger mid week to top off?
Not a problem. Ford doesn’t even mention doing anything regarding storing a vehicle until you get beyond 30 days.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
It could run down a bit in extreme weather. Battery will be conditioned in very cold and maybe very hot temperatures.
I leave my EV's parked at airport parking once in a while. (they have evse's there if someone doesn't unplug it)

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You asked two different questions.

1) Do EVs lose significant charge sitting for a week or so camping? No.

2) Do EVs lose significant charge while sitting long-term? Maybe. As noted, in very hot or very cold weather, the EV may cool or heat the battery while sitting. But "significant"? No, unless you leave it for months and months. But you shouldn't park with a 5% SOC and leave it sit for any period.

The HVB will charge the LVB while it's sitting, and that can use up some small amount of charge. The LVB runs modules that use some power, very similar to how people find that driving a ICE F-150 only every month or so can run down the 12v battery. The EV charges that battery whereas an ICE F-150 has no way to do that when sitting.

Reactions: GDN

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
You asked two different questions.

1) Do EVs lose significant charge sitting for a week or so camping? No.

2) Do EVs lose significant charge while sitting long-term? Maybe. As noted, in very hot or very cold weather, the EV may cool or heat the battery while sitting. But "significant"? No, unless you leave it for months and months. But you shouldn't park with a 5% SOC and leave it sit for any period.

The HVB will charge the LVB while it's sitting, and that can use up some small amount of charge. The LVB runs modules that use some power, very similar to how people find that driving a ICE F-150 only every month or so can run down the 12v battery. The EV charges that battery whereas an ICE F-150 has no way to do that when sitting.
Correct, very negligible loss of battery power!

When I have left my PHEV parked for over a month, the EV battery still retains about 90% of the charge.

I'd worry more about my 4 year old 12V lead acid battery in my PHEV not able to hold a charge after a month....

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Oh, there are reports on the Bolt EV sites where the 12V will actually run down and cause issues even though HV battery has enough power.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
For a week, no problems.

For long term, I would just get a windshield mounted solar cell AGM trickle charger. Just as I do with my ICE F-150.

nightowl

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 TRD, 18 Model 3
Occupation
Healthcare
Agree with the probably not, but there are many things we won't know about the Lightning until there is a wide enough release and owner reporting of these variables, especially in very hot and cold climates with vehicles stored outdoors.

Things that cause "phantom drain", i.e. loss of battery capacity when parked; as others have mentioned and a few others....

Outside temperature -software will condition to keep the battery safe from degradation but excessive cold or heat can affect usable range upon return use.

Any plugged in or wired in accessories may cause drain; leaving a interior light on is common example in all vehicles.

Use and type of security systems are another draw, e.g., Tesla using the all camera security option has a big draw on power, which it sounds like the similar Ford "canopy" should be expected to do the same. Tesla will prevent the use of, or terminate use at the 20% state of charge. Things applies to my gas pickup with camera based security as well, requiring a trickle charger to prevent 12v battery degradation.

Frequency of remote application queries probably will prevent a deep electronic sleep condition.

Pending OTA (over the air) software upgrades, do on Teslas, cause additional drain, and if remotely approved, do use some additional power.

Every manufacturer and each product will have to be discovered variables. This forum would make a great place to catalog the experiences.

I wouldn't long term park any electric vehicle at lower than 30% state of charge, preferably much more, based on the aforementioned. I would anticipate at least 1% loss per day until we have more data.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
For a week, no problems.

For long term, I would just get a windshield mounted solar cell AGM trickle charger. Just as I do with my ICE F-150.
Doesn't address the issue the OP inquired about, which is the state of charge in the EV battery, not the 12v. And, since the 12v is charged by the EV battery, a trickle charger is unnecessary.

Sponsored

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
You might lose 1% in a week.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Doesn't address the issue the OP inquired about, which is the state of charge in the EV battery, not the 12v. And, since the 12v is charged by the EV battery, a trickle charger is unnecessary.
Oh, there are reports on the Bolt EV sites where the 12V will actually run down and cause issues even though HV battery has enough power.
I was responding more to the post prior to my post, and also to the OP.

Yes, pretty obvious I was talking about the 12V battery and not the HV battery.

Lot's of posts and LVB issues with the 12V batteries in the MME forums (same battery as the Lightning) going too low in voltage/dead to turn on the power relays to the HV battery. As to make their MME vehicle not operable even if the HV battery has plenty of charge left. [link1] [link2] [link3]

Ford recommends you fully charge your BEV to 100% when you take your vehicle home for the first time to calibrate the battery systems with the 12V and HV batteries. So that the 12V gets properly charged when plugged into a L1/L2 for recharging.

I disagree with your statement. A 12V trickle charger may be necessary if the vehicle will sit for an extended amount of time unplugged from L1/L2 charging. So, I also feel my post is also relevant to the OP.

As the OP stating being away from the vehicle while camping for a week or more. Especially in colder climates. A 12V battery jump bank or dash solar 12V trickle charger is cheap insurance.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the Lightning has such a large battery bank, you'd have absolutely no issues as you fear. Your fear is more based on a battery sitting for years, not for hours, or days. Look at all the 12v batteries sitting at Walmart. They sit and sit, until someone buys them.
Even a slight degradation would not be noticeable.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
the Lightning has such a large battery bank, you'd have absolutely no issues as you fear. Your fear is more based on a battery sitting for years, not for hours, or days. Look at all the 12v batteries sitting at Walmart. They sit and sit, until someone buys them.
Even a slight degradation would not be noticeable.
OP isn't talking about degradation but more vampire drain.

How much usually depends on the car. A Tesla utilizes a lot of other things while the car is idle.

- Internet connectivity
- Sentry Mode
- Battery temperature maintenance
- Interior climate protection

Even more so these days than in the past. 6 Years ago, my car could go 2 weeks sitting idle and still get me home from the airport. Today, it lasts about 3 days before sentry mode, battery conditioning, and cabin temperature controls drains my battery. So I have to go hunting for a shady area to park and hopefully a 120v/15a outlet to trickle charge while I'm away.

How much the F-150 will drain will be dependent on what Ford has it utilizing while it's "off".