• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Does the lightning lock the charge cord?

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Hi I see an unlock button next to my charging port but it doesn't seem like the truck locks the charging cable from being removed? Anyone know how to lock the charging cable to prevent removal?
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I hope not as well. Our chevy cars (volt and bolt) did not lock the cable. Our volvos do. One, if unlocked, will let you press the button next to the cable to release. The other requires cycling of the locks. Our clipped creek evse does not lock on any of the cars, but out smart evses from the electric company do lock. It sucks to have to unlock the already unlocked car in order to unplug. In particular because I get to the plug before getting to the door to unlock based on the garage layout.

OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I hope not as well. Our chevy cars (volt and bolt) did not lock the cable. Our volvos do. One, if unlocked, will let you press the button next to the cable to release. The other requires cycling of the locks. Our clipped creek evse does not lock on any of the cars, but out smart evses from the electric company do lock. It sucks to have to unlock the already unlocked car in order to unplug. In particular because I get to the plug before getting to the door to unlock based on the garage layout.
I guess I was thinking more in terms of public charging, and also was hoping that the cable would be unlocked once the vehicle is unlocked. There is no reason for the cable to remain locked if the vehicle is unlocked.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
My ID.4 really enjoyed locking me to almost any kind of charging cord, DCFC, public Level 2 or home charging, without rhyme or reason. The first time it happened, at an EA 40 miles from home on a Sunday morning, I cut my way in through the carpeted emergency flap in the trunk to get to the emergency release pull cable. When I pulled the emergency release, the pull cable came out with the ring pull on it. What a mess, I had to go into Walmart and buy more tools to get it loose.

Be careful for what you wish for!

Sponsored
OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
My ID.4 really enjoyed locking me to almost any kind of charging cord, DCFC, public Level 2 or home charging, without rhyme or reason. The first time it happened, at an EA 40 miles from home on a Sunday morning, I cut my way in through the carpeted emergency flap in the trunk to get to the emergency release pull cable. When I pulled the emergency release, the pull cable came out with the ring pull on it. What a mess, I had to go into Walmart and buy more tools to get it loose.

Be careful for what you wish for!
I used to work for Volkswagen on their EV programs a decade ago, that's crazy to hear of these issues on an ID4

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
The Lightning only ”locks” the charger coupler during DC charging, mostly for electrical safety. The button is only to tell the truck to end a DC charging session (See attached pages from Owners Manual).

My Tesla Tap provides for (lightweigh) padlocking to both the Tesla Destinatio Charge Coupler, and to the vehicle’s charge port, to discourage theft of the adapter. No such provision on the FMC…of course where would you lock it since the electrical outlet plugs easily disconnect from the charger and most exterior wall plugs don’t have provisions to lock

From the manual for DC charging……….
Ford F-150 Lightning Does the lightning lock the charge cord? 878A3423-3EF1-453A-9E6E-9EB5A08105A3

Ford F-150 Lightning Does the lightning lock the charge cord? 688E8947-C191-4C0A-8C81-1B4BC4275132

Ford F-150 Lightning Does the lightning lock the charge cord? 34E627C0-E18E-4B50-B2E3-08DAD7E9EC56

Ford F-150 Lightning Does the lightning lock the charge cord? D7A7EDB4-88C7-432D-974C-6A9CE38873EA

OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
The Lightning only ”locks” the charger coupler during DC charging, mostly for electrical safety. The button is only to tell the truck to end a DC charging session (See attached pages from Owners Manual).

My Tesla Tap provides for (lightweigh) padlocking to both the Tesla Destinatio Charge Coupler, and to the vehicle’s charge port, to discourage theft of the adapter. No such provision on the FMC…of course where would you lock it since the electrical outlet plugs easily disconnect from the charger and most exterior wall plugs don’t have provisions to lock

From the manual for DC charging……….
878A3423-3EF1-453A-9E6E-9EB5A08105A3.png

688E8947-C191-4C0A-8C81-1B4BC4275132.png

34E627C0-E18E-4B50-B2E3-08DAD7E9EC56.png

D7A7EDB4-88C7-432D-974C-6A9CE38873EA.png
Thank you I just read that as well, hopefully no one unplugs us while charging

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Thank you I just read that as well, hopefully no one unplugs us while charging
They will have to break it off if you’re DC fast charging….and, they could get a big surprise ⚡😵💫 if charging is in process. I was in a hurry the other day while at a EA fast charger and didn’t follow the manual’s instructions to end the charge session….my truck kept the EA charge coupler locked…it took me ~15 min. to get my truck to unlock the charge coupler while watching the pedestal’s 15 minute Idle Fee Grace Period countdown timer almost hit zero.

Lesson learned…..don’t get in a hurry and follow the process of first stoping the charge from truck before stopping from the DC pedestal/trying to disengage the charge coupler. I went from being fashionably late to my appointment to very late😤.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
When using my own charge cable in public many years ago on the Volt I managed lock the evse by threading the cable through one of the locked doors and out again. It could be unplugged, but it took care of the threat of theft. If the truck can let you know that a charge session is ended prior to your expected end time/desired charge level, then public charging on a public evse could still result in an unplug, but you would know about it and do something about it.

Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Really wish we had the option for L2 locking. Occasionally plug the mobile charger in at hotels overnight and liked the peace of mind I had with my eGolf though it was always locked.

The best option (if Ford can do this OTA) is to have 3 options. Locked with door lock, always unlocked and lock with door locks until full. The last option is great for a public charger where you don’t want to get unplugged nor do you want to be connected and locked while not charging.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Really wish we had the option for L2 locking. Occasionally plug the mobile charger in at hotels overnight and liked the peace of mind I had with my eGolf though it was always locked.

The best option (if Ford can do this OTA) is to have 3 options. Locked with door lock, always unlocked and lock with door locks until full. The last option is great for a public charger where you don’t want to get unplugged nor do you want to be connected and locked while not charging.
Surprised that ford doesn't. Those options are available on our EV6.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
If someone unplugs my DCFC in public before it gets to 90%, my app will let me know.

I will then return and literally kick the charger off the car that stole my charge.

Let them figure it out.

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Unfortunately on several occasions of driving the truck, when I use public L2 chargers I have been unplugged. So my remedy is to place a used Covid Mask around the handle and the charging door. It's worked for the last few weeks and I haven't had to respond to a text letting me know I've been unplugged.
Sponsored