• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

does the battery charge decline any in long-term parking- like 6+ days?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
OP isn't talking about degradation but more vampire drain.

How much usually depends on the car. A Tesla utilizes a lot of other things while the car is idle.

- Internet connectivity
- Sentry Mode
- Battery temperature maintenance
- Interior climate protection

Even more so these days than in the past. 6 Years ago, my car could go 2 weeks sitting idle and still get me home from the airport. Today, it lasts about 3 days before sentry mode, battery conditioning, and cabin temperature controls drains my battery. So I have to go hunting for a shady area to park and hopefully a 120v/15a outlet to trickle charge while I'm away.

How much the F-150 will drain will be dependent on what Ford has it utilizing while it's "off".
If your car’s dead after sitting just 3 days, there’s something wrong with it.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
If your car’s dead after sitting just 3 days, there’s something wrong with it.
Requested multiple battery diagnostics from Tesla, it’s all fine. The biggest draws are interior climate, battery conditioning, and sentry mode. Yes interior climate would kick on based on predictive conditioning despite sitting at the airport…

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
3 days is exceptionally aggressive phantom drain. I lose about 2-2.5kwh a day due to phantom drain when my Model S is not being driven. Cabin overheat protection would raise that.

Reactions: GDN

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
3 days is exceptionally aggressive phantom drain. I lose about 2-2.5kwh a day due to phantom drain when my Model S is not being driven. Cabin overheat protection would raise that.
It's not pure phantom drain. As you noted cabin overheat is one piece. That can be switched off though and on me if I fail to.

But on the UI there used to be a setting that allowed us to toggle on/off the preconditioning of the vehicle. When I first got the car, I'd just flip that off whenever I needed to park long term.

That was removed some time ago because the claim is the car is smart enough to predict your utilization now. Well unfortunately my car preconditions even if it's parked in airport parking. A number of times I've checked the app to see my car was desperately trying to heat/cool itself to the desired 70 degrees I have my car set at for an unknown number of hours.

Battery degradation check came back at the time from Tesla as ~3.8% degradation. The range on my car has dropped roughly 12% since new though, so it seems the usable limits have been adjusted as well. Recommendation from Tesla? Restore to factory defaults as that will reset the learned schedule. That wasn't a very acceptable answer to me to reset my car to factory every time I needed to leave it unplugged for several days.

Point is, it's not just the battery, there's a whole host of things that can cause you to lose charge/range while it sits. EV's don't always go "off" like a traditional ICE car. A number of things can stay on while you walk away from it and that will affect the ability to sit for X period of time.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Requested multiple battery diagnostics from Tesla, it’s all fine. The biggest draws are interior climate, battery conditioning, and sentry mode. Yes interior climate would kick on based on predictive conditioning despite sitting at the airport…
Do you have “pet mode” enabled? It shouldn’t be using climate control continuously by default. I have friends with Model 3 & Model S who travel for work and leave the car at the airport for a couple weeks at a time without issues.

I just got back from a 2 week vacation and my Mach-E was at 38% when I left. It still shows 38% in FordPass and I fully expect to get in and drive it away later this morning.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Do you have “pet mode” enabled? It shouldn’t be using climate control continuously by default. I have friends with Model 3 & Model S who travel for work and leave the car at the airport for a couple weeks at a time without issues.

I just got back from a 2 week vacation and my Mach-E was at 38% when I left. It still shows 38% in FordPass and I fully expect to get in and drive it away later this morning.
Nope, pet mode isn’t enabled.

When I first purchased it, it would be able to sit at the airport for 2 weeks without issue as well.

It is very clearly kicking on on its own. I’d go in the app and turn it off and it is consistently turning itself on right about when I would leave for work. I would expect it to also turn itself off but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I don’t expect this to be this bad for the majority of cars. Just saying it depends on what’s on.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It is very clearly kicking on on its own. I’d go in the app and turn it off and it is consistently turning itself on right about when I would leave for work. I would expect it to also turn itself off but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
I know that you're looking for the system to not pre-condition while away, but if it's disregarding your request, could adjusting the temperature to a higher value in warm weather or lower value in cold weather minimize the energy consumption by making the HVAC work less while your away?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I know that you're looking for the system to not pre-condition while away, but if it's disregarding your request, could adjusting the temperature to a higher value in warm weather or lower value in cold weather minimize the energy consumption by making the HVAC work less while your away?
Assuming a consistent (summer/winter) yes.

There’s workarounds - including logging into my app every morning to turn off the preconditioning.

It’s much easier to just not take that car to the airport than to find myself in a oh $hit situation.

I’ve personally grown tired of the company. 6 years, 3 cars and over 200,000 miles total on them. We still have one last car because of the supercharging network, but I look forward to having a much dumber Ford Lightning instead of fighting with Tesla or my own car anymore. .

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
If I read this correctly, a previous version of the operating system allowed turning off the preconditioning. After the update that functionality was removed and replaced with "the car is smarter than you are and if you don't like it. F-YOU" If your schedule is predictable and consistent it is great, but only you know if you are going to do your usual thing. I'd rather be able to schedule selectively. Hopefully the lightning allows this.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
If I read this correctly, a previous version of the operating system allowed turning off the preconditioning. After the update that functionality was removed and replaced with "the car is smarter than you are and if you don't like it. F-YOU" If your schedule is predictable and consistent it is great, but only you know if you are going to do your usual thing. I'd rather be able to schedule selectively. Hopefully the lightning allows this.
Correct and correct.

And the airport situation is a great example of bad programming. I even put in an escalation requesting a code change to only allow preconditioning at home but never heard back.

If Ford keeps it simple, the truck would easily sit for weeks on end given the battery size.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nope, pet mode isn’t enabled.

When I first purchased it, it would be able to sit at the airport for 2 weeks without issue as well.

I don’t expect this to be this bad for the majority of cars. Just saying it depends on what’s on.
Damned, that sucks. I don’t know what else to say.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
OP isn't talking about degradation but more vampire drain.

How much usually depends on the car. A Tesla utilizes a lot of other things while the car is idle.

- Internet connectivity
- Sentry Mode
- Battery temperature maintenance
- Interior climate protection

Even more so these days than in the past. 6 Years ago, my car could go 2 weeks sitting idle and still get me home from the airport. Today, it lasts about 3 days before sentry mode, battery conditioning, and cabin temperature controls drains my battery. So I have to go hunting for a shady area to park and hopefully a 120v/15a outlet to trickle charge while I'm away.

How much the F-150 will drain will be dependent on what Ford has it utilizing while it's "off".
Don't fail to note that the two biggest of the 4 you list are Sentry Mode and Interior Climate are both fully controlled and can be turned off. You do not have to use them. With those off - the daily drain is easily no more than 1% to 2%. You can last weeks and have no problem.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Tesla models were being hated due to the huge energy cost to keep the computers up. Telsa said they would provide a software update a few years ago to manage it better. It reality, EV makers don't turn off all the computers or put them fully to sleep. Customers want to get in and go. Guess you could put the main and aux batteries on power strips.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E (1st Edition), '09 Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
IT Architect
Ford doesn't have phantom-drain problems. On Mach-E forum there are a lot of people who have left the car for weeks on end, come back and find it drained maybe a percent ... *maybe* two. It's really tiny.

Part of the reason is that when you shut off the car, it does leave several modules powered up ... but if it hasn't been used for long enough it will switch into "deep sleep" mode. This powers off even more modules and leaves only minimum things running and that's why it has extremely minimal drain. But you'll also notice that when you flip open FordPass to check things like state of charge, range, etc. you might see a message that tells you it was the most current info until it went into deep sleep.

If you're leaving the truck at home you can always just leave it plugged in.

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m not sure which version of the software you are on, but preconditioning is now based of scheduled departure time and you can turn it off in the car or app. I’ve never had it turn on on it’s own, but I’ve only had mine for 3 years.

Vampire drain for me has been about 1.5-2 Kwh per day without sentry mode and 6 Kwh with.
Sponsored