• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Drive Mode Unavailable

Have you experienced the "Drive Mode Unavailable" issue?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I've been having this issue for a few months now. Thought it might be an isolated glitch until I saw others posting about it on Facebook.

When I'm in Sport mode, the truck will occasionally kick me out of Sport mode back to Normal. I'll get a message on the instrument cluster saying Drive Mode not available and I'm unable to select any of the drive modes (they are grayed out).

Has anyone here also experienced this? If anyone had reported to their dealer, what was the response?

So far I've heard it's a software glitch that originally occurred on the MME and should be remedied by a patch eventually.
Ford F-150 Lightning Drive Mode Unavailable 20230708_084611
Ford F-150 Lightning Drive Mode Unavailable 20230708_084631
Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I’ve seen the same issue while in tow/haul yesterday.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Not in my Lightning, but had it happen a few times with Unbridle in our Mach-e

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
in 26,000+ miles, much of that while towing, I've seen this happen infrequently, although it's a little unnerving when it does... one time, especially, I would put it back into SPORT, after it had given me the on-screen message, but the 'Drive Modes' were all still available, but then, a few minutes later, it does it again. No, I know of no correlation with anything external, or anything internally, that would seem to make it happen. I tried this several times, until finally, it settled into SPORT mode and continued on the rest of the trip.

I think we are all experiencing 'software' trade-offs with these types of vehicles. Sensors are certainly part of the equation, and maybe there is some 'sensor' that would ocme into play to determine that your drive mode is not longer 'available, but I can not imagine what that would be.

Several times, too, the message has been provided, and the Drive Mode screen is totally grayed out - which makes me think the worst. But, it, too, resolved itself in a matter or seconds, or minutes, and no worries from then on.

I've found that I don't take any of the 'warning' or 'messages' too seriously. I realize we are dealing with a mobile 'computer' and these things just might be part of the equation. As long as the truck is able to continue on, no matter the 'drive mode', I'm o.k.... it really only changes the amount of REGENERATION... that's all.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Couple times the last few days. Not sure if its correlated to anything else.
I wish I could tie it to an update, but it has happened sporadically. There is nothing I'm doing that can replicate the issue. I've noticed it for at least 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Not in my Lightning, but had it happen a few times with Unbridle in our Mach-e
What's the last Power Up you've recieved on your Lightning? I've been on 4.2.3.1 since May.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I’ve seen the same issue while in tow/haul yesterday.
So it's not just Sport mode, good to know. For what its worth, it first happened to me on May 1.

I just think it might be more widespread than Ford thinks.

Since they've grouped 1PD into the Drive Modes section, I could see a significant issue with the truck toggling off 1PD while I'm using 1PD.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I never really leave "Normal" on my Lightning. I have used "Tow/Haul" twice and it never dropped out during those two short trips with a tandem trailer. So for me this has never happened in the truck.

I have had the DMU about 8-9 times on the '21 MME I traded in for a '23 GT-PE about a month ago, and the second day I had the GT I got the DMU sitting in the car while waiting to leave. Hasn't happened since then though.

And I have also heard that there is a fix (which means the problem has been identified) and a software patch will becoming hopefully this year (after laying off a shed-load of technical staff it's anybody's guess when that will be).

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Sponsored
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
And I have also heard that there is a fix (which means the problem has been identified) and a software patch will becoming hopefully this year (after laying off a shed-load of technical staff it's anybody's guess when that will be).
I have heard the same. I wish Ford would release incremental fixes for bugs instead of bundling bug fixes together with new features and updating every few months (years).

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I've been having this issue for a few months now. Thought it might be an isolated glitch until I saw others posting about it on Facebook.

When I'm in Sport mode, the truck will occasionally kick me out of Sport mode back to Normal. I'll get a message on the instrument cluster saying Drive Mode not available and I'm unable to select any of the drive modes (they are grayed out).

Has anyone here also experienced this? If anyone had reported to their dealer, what was the response?

So far I've heard it's a software glitch that originally occurred on the MME and should be remedied by a patch eventually.
20230708_084611.jpg
20230708_084631.jpg
Hi there! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your drive mode concerns on my end.
Sponsored