• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Drive Mode Not Available

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
Has anyone else received the “Drive Mode Not Available” warning?

I was cruising home tonight in sport mode and the truck took itself out of sport and went into normal mode showing that message. I put it back in sport mode and it ran fine for a few miles and then went back into normal mode with the same message. I put it back into sport mode again and it stayed that way until I got home.

I’m thinking this was because I was in stop and go traffic but I don’t think that should have made a difference. The last time I put it in sport mode, traffic sped up to normal speeds.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
That's odd, never had that happen to me while using Sport long term on a drive session.

Do you know what your power up level is [4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3, 4.2.1] ????

OP
OP

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I.T.
That's odd, never had that happen to me while using Sport long term on a drive session.

Do you know what your power up level is [4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.3, 4.2.1] ????
Yeah, it’s never happened before in the past 11k miles. I’ll be out for a long drive again tomorrow so we’ll see what it does.

I’m on 4.1.3

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I received this same warning earlier this week. Nothing out of the usual from my driving, it was just my normal drive home. The only thing I could think is the external temp was below freezing and my SOC was less than 50%. So maybe the truck did not have the battery power to remain in Sport and booted me into Normal?

OP
OP

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I.T.
I received this same warning earlier this week. Nothing out of the usual from my driving, it was just my normal drive home. The only thing I could think is the external temp was below freezing and my SOC was less than 50%. So maybe the truck did not have the battery power to remain in Sport and booted me into Normal?
That makes sense and I was right around 50% at the time. Not below freezing, but it was cooler, maybe in the 40's-50's.

Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
This happened to me today on a quick 1 mile drive mid-afternoon as I was pulling into the parking lot. 80 degrees outside, 77% state of charge, running update 4.2.2. Drive modes returned when I got back in the truck an hour later.

gwatanova

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
Had this issue today while hauling a boat across town. Not ideal as the acceleration and breaking between tow/haul and normal is fairly different. For a while I could not select any mode.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
over 26,000 miles, and many times while towing my camper, this has happened very infrequently, but yes, several times...

the system throws the message on the screen "Drive Mode Not Available", defaults to 'Normal' mode, and otherwise nothing changes. You may be able to go back into another mode, or, as in several instances, you may see the whole Mode Screen grayed out... nothing you can do in that situation.

Why does it happen? We may never know, but it's sure a pucker moment when it does.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Why does it happen? We may never know, but it's sure a pucker moment when it does.
It has to do with a race condition in the software. It's already been investigated and fixed in upcoming software coming out later this summer

John Becker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Light'g Lariat SR, '18 Audi S5 Cabriolet
That problem happened to me this evening to my November build 2023 Lariat SR. While in Sport mode, it gave me an error message: “Drive Mode Not Available” or "Drive mode unavailable."
Regardless, I switched it back into Sport mode. Maybe a minute later, it happened again and it would not allow me to select any mode - including "Normal" mode. Maybe a minute after that, it allowed me to select "Sport" mode again, and then no problem after that.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
It's not just the lightning... I have a F150 with the Ecoboost for a loaner while my battery gets serviced, and it did the drive mode not available twice, once in sport, the other time in eco. Reset itself back to normal both times.

Ford software....

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I think if you turn the cruise control on it goes into normal mode.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone else received the “Drive Mode Not Available” warning?

I was cruising home tonight in sport mode and the truck took itself out of sport and went into normal mode showing that message. I put it back in sport mode and it ran fine for a few miles and then went back into normal mode with the same message. I put it back into sport mode again and it stayed that way until I got home.

I’m thinking this was because I was in stop and go traffic but I don’t think that should have made a difference. The last time I put it in sport mode, traffic sped up to normal speeds.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

OP
OP

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I.T.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  
Hi @Ford Motor Company , I appreciate the reply but this post is over a year old. Do you still want me to send over a private message?
Sponsored