• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Testing out the EA charger nearest my house in preparation for a road trip (So Cal to Las Vegas) in my Lightning.

EA charger at 150kW max only allowed the Lightning to 90% and cut me off.

What if I wanted or needed 100% just for a trip and I was willing to wait the extra time to 100% ?

Yeah - I know charging to that level is not recommend, but if Ford says you can do it for an immediate trip...

BTW: of the 6 stations, 3 were down. Called EA and they were nice enough to reset 2 but 1 was down and they dispatched a tech.

While charging, there was a Polestar and 1st gen Audi eTron -- we all chatted for awhile waiting...
Ford F-150 Lightning EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ? IMG_9450.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ? IMG_9447.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ? IMG_9449.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Did you set the limit to 100%?
Yes, no limit on my Lightning ever set.

No schedule either.

I always charge my Lightning to 100% using L2 charger.

Do you think that EA restricts to 90% if you are not charging off a main highway/ freeway ?

I realized this EA charger is in the middle of a city - not off the main roads....

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I don't have my Lightning yet, but every video I've seen of people charging on a DCFC to 100% they had to set the "one time limit" to 100% or it stopped before that.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The Lightning is set to 90% for DCFC by default. You have to set the one-time charge limit to 100% for every fast charging session or it will stop at 90%.

Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I don't have my Lightning yet, but every video I've seen of people charging on a DCFC to 100% they had to set the "one time limit" to 100% or it stopped before that.
The one time limit is when you have a preferred charging location set. When you charge at home and you have gone it to the settings to set your charge rate to 90%, or whatever you set, then it will limit you to that set rate. When you charge at a different location, it will always charge to 100% unless you stop it and say otherwise.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The one time limit is when you have a preferred charging location set. When you charge at home and you have gone it to the settings to set your charge rate to 90%, or whatever you set, then it will limit you to that set rate. When you charge at a different location, it will always charge to 100% unless you stop it and say otherwise.
I don’t think that’s correct. The one-time limit applies to the next charge session. It doesn’t care about locations.

If you don’t set a one-time limit, the next L2 that’s not at a saved location will charge to 100%, the next DCFC will stop at 90%.

Location settings only apply to L2.

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Where is the one time charge limit for DCFC set? I don’t think I’ve ever seen this in my Mach E. I charged at a DCFC once at a mall, ate dinner, came back out and it was at 100%. Is it different in the Lightning?

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I don’t think that’s correct. The one-time limit applies to the next charge session. It doesn’t care about locations.

If you don’t set a one-time limit, the next L2 that’s not at a saved location will charge to 100%, the next DCFC will stop at 90%.

Location settings only apply to L2.
I am almost certain that you have to set up a preferred charging location to limit the charge to 100%. I am not sure about L3 chargers, but videos I have seen show them charging all the way to 100% or 90%+ before they disconnect it. I will test it on Wednesday and see if it will stop past 90% or keep going. I have a stretch of 220 miles I have to go without a charger, so I am going to take it to 90% and maybe a few more. I am pretty sure it will not stop since I don't have a preferred charging location set.

I know I have charged at other L2 chargers away from my home, and they will go all the way to 100% unless I set a limit.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
I am almost certain that you have to set up a preferred charging location to limit the charge to 100%. I am not sure about L3 chargers, but videos I have seen show them charging all the way to 100% or 90%+ before they disconnect it. I will test it on Wednesday and see if it will stop past 90% or keep going. I have a stretch of 220 miles I have to go without a charger, so I am going to take it to 90% and maybe a few more. I am pretty sure it will not stop since I don't have a preferred charging location set.

I know I have charged at other L2 chargers away from my home, and they will go all the way to 100% unless I set a limit.
My understanding is:

• L2 charging: will charge to 100% unless you have a location preference set with a charge limit. You can override it in the app (and presumably in the truck, though I haven't looked for it). I know it's 100% because the first time I charged at home before I could set the location preference, it was charging to 100%
  • DCFC: will charge to 90% unless you set the one time charge limit. This has been seen on YouTube by both State of Charge and Out of Spec.

I haven't gotten to DC charge yet, not sure though I'll ever charge above 90% in any case.

Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
My understanding is:

• L2 charging: will charge to 100% unless you have a location preference set with a charge limit. You can override it in the app (and presumably in the truck, though I haven't looked for it). I know it's 100% because the first time I charged at home before I could set the location preference, it was charging to 100%
  • DCFC: will charge to 90% unless you set the one time charge limit.

I haven't gotten to DC charge yet, not sure though I'll ever charge above 90% in any case.
I will report back on Wednesday morning will what happens after my first stop that I have to charge to at least 90% to make the next charger. I will let it go to 92% to see if it actually stops or not.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The Lightning is set to 90% for DCFC by default. You have to set the one-time charge limit to 100% for every fast charging session or it will stop at 90%.
You would think that would be in the manual. Amazing that it's not.

That said, the charging curves slow at 80%, and then slow more at 90 or 95%. There is little reason to ever charge to 100% at a DC Fast Charger, and if there are other's waiting, it's considered discourteous. Most trip charging is done from 10-20% up to 80% and then repeat. Only do more than 80% when you need the charge to make it to the next charger (Ohio to SE Michigan you do).

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Nope, the default is always 90% on a first charge at a new location. You have to set it to 100% to get 100%, on an override basis. Then it will stick there for that location.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Nope, the default is always 90% on a first charge at a new location. You have to set it to 100% to get 100%, on an override basis. Then it will stick there for that location.
So when I pull into a DCFC station, do I set the one time limit to 100% ?

Because when I looked at my settings at home, it says 100%.

Do I see a different setting if I am charging outside my house ?

Does not make sense now because I see this:

Ford F-150 Lightning EA charger cut me off at 90% - what if I wanted to wait for 100% for a long road trip ? IMG_9452.JPG

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
So when I pull into a DCFC station, do I set the one time limit to 100% ?

Because when I looked at my settings at home, it says 100%.

Do I see a different setting if I am charging outside my house ?

Does not make sense now because I see this:

IMG_9452.JPG
Yes, you need to set it to 100% at the charger location. Some chargers will STILL stop you at 90% if they are high volume locations, and you will need to restart to get that last 10%.

The only reason that you see that 100% at home is because you are on Level 2, which is treated differently. And you need to go into the location charge settings for your home and reduce it so you're not defaulting to 100%. I made this mistake for the first few charges until I found the location-based charge setting, which is obscure. The whole charging interface on the Lightning is wonky, non-intuitive compared to Tesla. PLEASE give us a rate-of charge indication Ford.
Sponsored