• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Efficiency numbers (m/kWh) with Splash Guards/Mudflaps?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have driven about 500 miles since I installed the mudflaps and I don't see any change to efficiency. Whenever I see these large efficiency numbers that others reports I wonder if they are getting that info from the Fordpass EV Driving screen or if they are actually calculating it. If they are getting from the Fordpass app, they are being deceived. That thing is just about useless. It misses half of my trips and it gives wild numbers both high and low. The best way to check your miles/kW is percent of battery used vs miles driven.
The reality is that it takes much more accurate measuring, and controlled conditions, to be able to quantify changes. Same route, same temperatures, same air density, same ...

I remember a guy swearing that his gas truck got EPA mileage every mile he drove, with zero acknowledgement that in cold weather it had to warm up, that winter vs. summer gas made a difference, etc.

People claim tonneau covers save mileage when scientific testing has proven they don't.
Sponsored

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
6.3 mi/kWh on Model 3 with ~65mph is amazing, especially compare to less than 2 mi/kWh with Lightning, that 3-3.5x better. I cannot believe it.
What was really surprising to me was how much more efficient it is than the i3 with all of its carbon fiber and aluminum.
It's 65 up hill then 70 down the back side of the hill average total of 158 Wh/mi, I do get it down to 5.6 mi/kWh if I hit the on ramp hard and stay in the left lane.

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I installed the stock Ford F-150 splash guards about 1 month after delivery (June 9) and didn't notice any difference (although not much time to gauge without the flaps). The reality here in Western NY is that splash guards are NOT optional, so irrelevant what small effect they have.

I also use a soft tonneau but again, not optional in the Buffalo area. The air dam probably has a bigger effect than anything, although this is the month Ford is supposed to send an OTA update to stop the false Air Dam warnings. Mine are very sporadic but I'd prefer no warning. I know if I hit a 'rubber dog' at 75 mph, I'll need a new air dam.

teetomterrific

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightn1ng
Occupation
Publishing R&D Engineer
I'm waiting on my mud flaps to arrive after ordering them last week so I have noting to contribute on possible range loss, but I think it is worth mentioning that tire inflation can affect range. I increased my tire pressure to 40lbs and my rage increased a couple of points from driving with the standard inflation. You might try that to see if your numbers improve.

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
I am getting 2.7 - 3.4, so average of 3mi/kWh on my 17 mile one-way commute. Uphill both ways. Lol. J/K.
I added the front mud flaps and no difference. I will add the rear this weekend. Hopefully, no difference. I figure the tires block most drag.
I’m not going to compare apples to oranges. Conditions were red today so I’m not going report (obviously bad).
1. Truck did not precondition. Maybe b/c plugged in for 62 hours w/o movement
2. DST running lights driving in half dark, running heater. 40 is cold here.
3. 20 degree temp drop. Unusually 20 less this week so I’ll wait until temps return to pre-mudflap.

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I installed the stock Ford F-150 splash guards about 1 month after delivery (June 9) and didn't notice any difference (although not much time to gauge without the flaps). The reality here in Western NY is that splash guards are NOT optional, so irrelevant what small effect they have.

I also use a soft tonneau but again, not optional in the Buffalo area. The air dam probably has a bigger effect than anything, although this is the month Ford is supposed to send an OTA update to stop the false Air Dam warnings. Mine are very sporadic but I'd prefer no warning. I know if I hit a 'rubber dog' at 75 mph, I'll need a new air dam.
Another WNYer? Thats at least 6 now. Love the East Amherst, don't want to associate with those plain old Amherst types.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'm waiting on my mud flaps to arrive after ordering them last week so I have noting to contribute on possible range loss, but I think it is worth mentioning that tire inflation can affect range. I increased my tire pressure to 40lbs and my rage increased a couple of points from driving with the standard inflation. You might try that to see if your numbers improve.
This is a big problem. If inflating your tires increases your rage, you need to take a different approach. Being mad while driving isn't healthy - for you or anyone else. Let's stop road rage now!

Wait, wut? He meant RANGE?

Ford F-150 Lightning Efficiency numbers (m/kWh) with Splash Guards/Mudflaps? nevermind

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Another WNYer? Thats at least 6 now. Love the East Amherst, don't want to associate with those plain old Amherst types.
I might actually be in Swormville. My favorite town name...either way the same 14051 zip code vibe!

Lots of Lightnings in BUF considering the population. Also a lot of Ioniq 5s (my wife's vehicle)...

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
I’m not going to compare apples to oranges. Conditions were red today so I’m not going report (obviously bad).
1. Truck did not precondition. Maybe b/c plugged in for 62 hours w/o movement
2. DST running lights driving in half dark, running heater. 40 is cold here.
3. 20 degree temp drop. Unusually 20 less this week so I’ll wait until temps return to pre-mudflap.
We only get a week or two between winter and summer that we call ”spring”. Therefore, you will install yourself to see a difference. If there is a minimnal difference, I don’t care, they take of care of the mud splash on the side runners and back of truck. Big cut on debris. Recommend.
Sponsored