• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Miles / KWH

Sapper55

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Farmer
I’ve had my 2023 Lariat ER for about two months now and have gone on several road trips. I’m averaging about 2 miles/KWH. What is the best speed on the interstate to maximize miles/KWH?
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Kind of silly question.

As slow as possible will give the best range.

If you're road tripping and charging. Faster can be better. Or, they can cancel each other out. Going faster saves time while driving, but more charging. Going slower nets less charging, but your driving time is increased.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Kind of silly question.

As slow as possible will tried the best range.

If you're road tripping and charging. Faster can be better. Or, they can cancel each other out. Going faster gets saves time while driving, but more charging. Going slower nets less charging, but you're driving time is increased.
Yup exactly this.

Given our fairly good charging curve, you will minimize travel time by driving at the speed that gets you to the next charger with the minimum reserve you feel comfortable with.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Best is probably 25mph, but that could potentially get you in trouble for a whole host of reasons...

Here's a quick test that I did a while back:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...t-70-vs-75-vs-80-on-highway.11933/post-319841

I don't know the traffic patterns in your area, but here in Michigan and especially 696/75 are posted 70 but more often than not the "flow" is 75-85 so I would personally feel uncomfortable going slower than 65.

From a total time standpoint it also depends a lot on your chargers their capacity and placement, if it means that by you by driving 80mph you have to stop sooner at a slower charger then all that time made up by driving faster is lost at the charger - que A.B.R.P. (edit abrp stupid autocorrect made it airport)

I'd say stay safe, keep to around 65-75 and don't worry too much about it.

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The first trans-con road trip report I remember on this forum took I-10 the whole way. They discovered 68 mph was the sweet spot for ‘high speed’ efficiency.

I agree with the others, if you’ve got the chargers, let ‘er rip. If not, try 68 first as an experiment.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I drove from Quantico to Mechanicsville, VA and back on Sunday with the AC set to 80 and cruise control to 60. Got 3.0 miles per kilowatt hour going down and 2.9 miles per kilowatt hour for the return trip.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I drove from Quantico to Mechanicsville, VA and back on Sunday with the AC set to 80 and cruise control to 60. Got 3.0 miles per kilowatt hour going down and 2.9 miles per kilowatt hour for the return trip.
154 miles at 60 takes 2.6 hours. You used roughly 52kW.

If I drove 73, it would have taken 2.1 hours, saving 30 minutes. Assuming I got 1.9 miles per kilowatt, that's 81kW. At my electric cost, it would have been $4.50 to save 30 minutes.

Driving 60 while everyone flies by would be very disconcerting, and not fun.
Sponsored