• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Emporia non-UL listed charger

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The delivery truck just pulled up with the charger! I may put one inside garage and the backup outside. My guess is the 80A FCSP will not be the one going out in the hot sun but we'll see how the firmware updates go.

Note it is 48A (11.5 kW) if you hard wire the connection and 40 Amp (9.6 kW) if you use a 14-50P plug. The charger comes with 24" plug you can remove. The 48A requires a 60A circuit breaker and the 40A requires a 50A circuit breaker.

What I really find cool about his charger is that in conjunction with their Emporia Vue, during grid down situation you can choose to automatically throttle the charger to a low current charge so as not to shutdown the solar due to high load or move the charger to a non-critical loads panel.

Going to get the box... :)
I plan on hardwiring mine. I'm hoping that 11.5kw will be enough to give me the charge I need in the winter to do my 100 mile round trip to work and back. My electric provider has a "super off peak" time of 11pm to 6 am. I leave for work about 5:45 so I would get roughly 78kw on that plan. I'm just wondering how the ER battery is going to perform on the way home after the truck being in the cold and unplugged for 12 hours.
Sponsored

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I plan on hardwiring mine. I'm hoping that 11.5kw will be enough to give me the charge I need in the winter to do my 100 mile round trip to work and back. My electric provider has a "super off peak" time of 11pm to 6 am. I leave for work about 5:45 so I would get roughly 78kw on that plan. I'm just wondering how the ER battery is going to perform on the way home after the truck being in the cold and unplugged for 12 hours.
The battery probably heats up pretty quickly which helps. I think the current battery chemistry is pretty good at lower temperatures unlike the LiFePO4 battery they will move to where they have space for lower power density. You can't even charge one of these LiFePO4 batteries at 32F unless you heat them up or the battery will be damage permanently with Lithium plating shorts.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
The battery probably heats up pretty quickly which helps. I think the current battery chemistry is pretty good at lower temperatures unlike the LiFePO4 battery they will move to where they have space for lower power density. You can't even charge one of these LiFePO4 batteries at 32F unless you heat them up or the battery will be damage permanently with Lithium plating shorts.
That is exactly the response I would expect from an Electrical Engineer. :)

I'm just a lowly Electrician hoping I can recover 100 miles of real world range in the winter months overnight with 78kw. Anything more and I would either get penalized by not charging "super off peak", or would have to install the Pro charger. I don't want to have to do that.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That is exactly the response I would expect from an Electrical Engineer. :)

I'm just a lowly Electrician hoping I can recover 100 miles of real world range in the winter months overnight with 78kw. Anything more and I would either get penalized by not charging "super off peak", or would have to install the Pro charger. I don't want to have to do that.
Warning Off topic -

Hey most electrical engineers have no clue on how to do the work of a practical Electrician! You guys actually get to have more fun sometimes as well. For example, spent a good number of years of my career designing and fabricating quantum well semiconductor lasers but It's actually more rewarding sometimes to run a fiber optic cable run or power up a server farm or hookup a well. You see the result of your work in real time. That laser took us 4 long years to design and fabricate and there are lots of frustrating years when things don't work and things look dismal. Eventually did get tens of thousands yielding lasers per wafer. Oh, and then the corporation canceled the program because we made more than we could ever use, so we sold the whole tech to the telcos and everyone had to find a new job. Such is life! You have job security and will always be needed! It's so bad in US with electrician shortage that Sunrun has a backlog of 4+ months in Texas as there are not enough electricians in the state. So we electrical engineers look up to you electricians and sometimes wish we had your job!

Back to your question, I think with 78kW you are good for 100 miles +. Here is a useful chart for 48 and 80A chargers on SR and ER batteries range per hour of charge -

Ford F-150 Lightning Emporia non-UL listed charger 1660239934436

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hey I noticed you are in Dearborn, do you just go over at lunch and drive your Lightning right off the Ford parking lot? Or better yet are you the Ford electrician on your own truck?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Hey I noticed you are in Dearborn, do you just go over at lunch and drive your Lightning right off the Ford parking lot? Or better yet are you the Ford electrician on your own truck?
Can't drive it home. Trust me, I've tried in the past with other trucks.

I don't work in the REVC. I work in Body. I'm hoping to sneak over and watch it's final assembly. I might get to catch it in my building. I'll have to get somebody to look up when it blends.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Wow, that's cool you might be able to see it come off the line. Get some good pics for posterity. If you know your VIN you should be able to get the blend date on the top of the link below. Dealer should have your VIN or it's buried in the source code on your order status page.

If you see an Iced Blue on Sunday 29th it's mine. I think it will be the last of iced blue silver metallic Lightning's for all time since the color is discontinued and 2023 production begins a week later. If you see some Platinum seats with max recline active motion lying around tell the seat guy I'll send him $300 in chocolates (fords credit) if can replace mine with what I ordered. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=put_your_VIN_here
Sponsored

Last edited: